Start by marking “The Gravity Between Us” as Want to Read:
The Gravity Between Us

Read Excerpt

The Gravity Between Us

Where does friendship stop and love begin?

At just 19, Kendall Bettencourt is Hollywoods hottest young starlet with the world at her feet but behind the glamour and designer dresses is a girl who longs for normal.

Payton Taylor is Kendalls best friend since childhood, and the one person who reminds her of who she really is her refuge from the craziness of celebrity life.
Published October 17th 2013 by Bookouture (first published October 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Gravity Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gravity Between Us

Start your review of The Gravity Between Us
Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read! a facing your fears and choosing your battles kinda storyline plus it also dealt with other emotional deep stuff where one of the leading character falls for her best friend while the other could not handle all the ups & downs of whether their new found relationship will work out. This book was packed with everything from good writing to good storytelling,likable and lovable characters with great chemistry,and an ending of fluffy tear jerky reaction for everyone..recommend

p.s.-can
Kris Dacuycuy
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I would've given this book another star if it didn't fall flat towards the end. The beginning of this book, and the build up to Payton and Kendall's eventual coming together was great. The author did a great job of describing the longing that each felt for the other, and in helping us understand why the two of them were hesitant to reveal their feelings at first.

The dialogue was crisp, humorous, believable. I liked almost all the supporting characters who were introduced. Even the entertainment
Les Read
I bought my first lesbian novel at Borders Bookstore in 1998. Their gay & lesbian section was tucked away in a dark corner shelf, and only had about 20 different books. The book that I purchased was the only lesbian novel they had available for sale. When I came home, I ripped out one of my large calendar pages, crafted a book cover, and took it with me to school to read in secret during recess and lunch.

Fast forward 17 years, and it feels like a completely different world. During the time
Emily Finn
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an amazing novel that got me hooked from page one. A really fresh and edgy addition to the New Adult genre, I think it is a definite must-read!
It follows the friendship, and growing love, of Payton and Kendall, two young girls who move to the heart of the star-studded celeb-scene and have to face the battle between being who people want them both to be and who they really are.

It has all you could ever want in a book love, friendship, conflict and a lot of glamour. It has
Chelsea
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary, lgbtq
Gay For You: The Lesbian Edition. Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, the trope isn't any better or less homophobic/biphobic with ladies rather than dudes.

I had so many issues with this book, including, but not limited to:
 Flat, undeveloped main characters who were so interchangeable I mixed up their names half the time
Flat, undeveloped friendship based on vague hints at childhood BFF stories, and the rich girl buying the other girl lots of expensive stuff
Flat, undeveloped relationship based on
Bethany
I hate to say it, but I feel like I read a completely different book than some of the other reviewers on here...

I was really looking forward to this one with the celebrity romance combined with a YA coming of age / friends to lovers story, but it didn't work for me. It felt rushed, like Zimmer was trying to build tension that never actually got properly built. I personally didn't feel the spark between MCs Kendall and Payton, it was more "tell" than "show".

Oh well. On to the next one. 3.25
maria
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars at the start. The story would draw you in.
2 stars after 1/2 part of book.
3 stars for the ending.
So it was disappointing when a story that starts good and become bad after 1/2 part.
Just a man's point of view
This book went right under my skin.
I don't know if I really appreciate it when it happens. Till last year I would have been awake until four in the morning to read and know how this damn thing would finish, but now that I have someone (♥) checking that I get enough sleep, I had to read it a little bit more slowly.

I bought this book in January 2015 and I started reading it at the end of June 2015. For one year and a half this book was there, looking at me, silently scolding: When are you going to
Jem
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluffy-romances, y-a
I don't read much romantic YA as the repetitive plots and vapid leads don't usually interest me, but this book is #1 in amazon--has been for a while now, so I thought maybe there's more to it. Turns out I was right.

The author takes the usual YA themes of unrequited love, falling for your best friend, sexual confusion and coming out issues, wraps them in an engrossing plot, throws in engaging characters and dialogue, and voila, a YA book that even adults will enjoy.

I like how the first person
Kim
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What happens when the line between friendship and love blurs? Kristen Zimmer's The Gravity Between Us is a daring and emotionally charged story that explores this premise and hooks the reader from page one. Kendall and Payton have been friends since childhood. Neither can remember a time when they were not there for one another. So when Kendall's life is transformed by Hollywood and its haze of glamour and perfection, her love for Payton becomes a secret she must guard. Can the two young women ...more
Gaby LezReviewBooks
Review of The gravity between us by Kristen Zimmer.
Audiobook narrated by Amy Melissa Bentley and Rebecca Estrella.

This is Ms. Zimmers debut and, so far, her only novel. Published in 2013, was at the top of the Amazon bestselling charts for lesbian romance around that time. Its easy to see why as new adult romances involving a celebrity seem to be a very successful trope. Kendall Bettencourt is a 19-year-old successful Hollywood actress with a very promising career. Payton Taylor has been her
Caitlin Keller
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, young-adult, fiction
This book had so many issues. Honestly, if it wasn't LGBT representation, I would have put it down about 10 pages in.

First, the author uses "retarded" as an adjective at least 3-5 times. This is absolutely appalling to me. And considering the little quips throughout, it's obvious that the author is up-to-date on media representation and social issues (at least for LGBT I suppose), that I just can't imagine how she would think that using this word in the manner that she did would be even close to
Angelina
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"5 Beautiful Stars"

This is an amazing beautiful story. It really hooked me up from the start. The story of friendship, love and acceptance. I can say that the story some what touches my heart.

Where does friendship stop and love begin?

The story of friendship to love. Both characters are amazing. Payton and Kendall been friends since childhood and they share this special bond together. Payton came out being a lesbian and kendall accepts her with open arms. Then things get change Payton
Tara
Despite my hesitance to read new adult, I really enjoyed this one. I can't relate much anymore because I'm far from a new adult, but the strength of the book is the shifting first person, which allows us to truly get into Kendall and Payton's heads.

While the book is well written with good pacing, I didn't enjoy the readers for the audio book at all. If I ever come back to this one, it will be on my Kindle.

Full review here: http://www.thelesbianreview.com/the-g...
Starsandsun18
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Updated my rating. Audio book version. From 3 to 4 stars.
Jen
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went into "The Gravity Between Us" without any expectations and I simply fell in love with the story and the characters in this beautifully written debut novel by Kristen Zimmer.

At its very core, "The Gravity Between Us" is a love story between two individuals who have been best friends from the time they were children. Kendall Bettencourt and Payton Taylor know almost everything about each other...except the fact that Payton is a lesbian. Once Payton shares this with Kendall, she is accepted
Les Rêveur
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Definitely worth a read!

My Review

This is a coming out story of grand proportion.

Kendall is a A-List actress. She has been acting from a very young age and although fame has influenced her she seems to still have her feet on the ground. That is until she head to her home town for a visit and her best friend tells her she's gay. She starts to question everything! Why did Payton keep this a secret? And why does she all of sudden see Payton differently? Has she always been attracted to Payton?

Adam
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm not going to write some huge takedown here. I just wanted this to be so much more than it was, which was probably part of the problem. The will they/won't they loooong build up very common in F/F is very long--I think they kiss around 60%--and the ending is predictable and gets the characters out of an entirely self-created situation. Occasionally there was a real spark in the dialogue between the two--or others--that was clever/playful and showed some chemistry. But often ran toward Young ...more
Val
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author and it is fantastic. I've paid far more for books that aren't half as good as this one. It's such a sweet love story and I think it appeals to all of us who struggled to accept our sexuality and somehow found the courage to be ourselves in spite of what others might think. Bravo to the author.
Justin
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lendable, romance, lgbt
This was an excellent book, even though it is December while I am typing this and I have read 134 books so far this year (thank you goodreads for keeping track) this is easily in my top three. Even though I have been getting more and more into romance, horror is still my first love and I never would have thought a non horror novel would make my top three list. I mentioned in one of my other reviews that the reason I enjoy ya lgbt so much is that unlike a m/f romance where the couple can be in ...more
Steph's Romance Book Talk
I read this book for #ContemporaryAThon 2017 for the challenge to read a book with charaters on the LGBTQA+ spectrum. This book is based around two women coming of age and discovering how to navigate when the lines between friendship turns to love. It is also about the discovery of handling fame and being a lesbian. There was some unnecessary drama that occurs which is why I give this book 3.5 stars and not the full 4 stars. Overall, it was an enjoyable journey and I would recommend it to anyone ...more
Marilyn
Nicely done audiobook.
Julia
3.5 stars, rounded up because best friends turned lovers is my favorite trope and I was really in the mood for a story like this, about cute young lesbians in love.

I had some issues with how fast everything happened, especially towards the ending. There was barely time to process the smaller issues before they were solved, and the bigger issues were dealt with so quickly too that they didn't feel big enough to warrant as much drama as they did. (If this even makes sense.) Major spoilers version:
Cyna
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is terrible. Sloppily written, there's little to no plot outside the will-they-won't-they, so the narrative just jumps from scene to scene while the MCs do an assortment of mundane things while thinking about how much they're in to one another. As such, when they finally do get together (about 71% of the way through the book) all established conflicts have been resolved, and there's absolutely no reason to keep reading.

Also horrendously biphobic - check my hilights. One of the MCs
Lou
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh. OH SH*T. I loved this book so much!!!????? Two adorable girls 💙 dating 💙 AND KISSING 💙 AND CUDDLING 💙 AND BREAKING MON F'ING HEART. I wanted this to be perfect so much. It wasn't, though (at all). But did I get my lesbian couple? Did I get my best friends-lovers trope? WAS THERE HAND-HOLDING? I feel so vulnerable, my heart wasn't ready to binge this??
"I'd pick you, Kendall. You are, in every possible sense of the word, the most breathtaking woman I have ever met."

This book is
Heather Henkel
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I enjoyed reading this book and getting to know these characters. I found the love story to be well done.
Tiff
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, friend-to-lover
The best thing about this book hands down it the internal dialogue between each the two female protagonists. Its witty and funny, so right on for the situation. You will not be disappointed!

Kendall Bettencourt is an up and coming young female movie star. She is on the precipice of becoming Hollywoods it girl. Payton is her best friend, and also happens to have had a crush on Kendall since well, forever. Kendall and Payton have been besties since before Kendall made it big. Payton is sweet, funny
Lisa R. Smith
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Where is the sequel?

I must have read this book 6 times since I bought it in 2016. Its a sweet, satisfying read about life long friends who realize they have romantic feelings for each other. One a successful actress, the other an ambitious musician and a student of film score composition. Neither are old enough to drink. The characters are rich and the story relatable. Its interesting that this author wrote this highly successful book in 2013 and as of this writing (six years
Sonja
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was this perfect? No. Was it a complete and utter delight? Yes. I'm probably being overly generous with my 4 stars, it's more like 3.5, but oh well. The things that worked REALLY worked.

There were a few things that bugged me about this - the pacing was a little off (I feel like everything happened from 60% into the book until the end) and it also seemed like these girls were in their mid-20s and not 19. The book also had a few statements that seemed biphobic to me, but I can't tell if that was
Rain
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's like there's gravity between usshe's the only thing anchoring me to the world, keeping me from floating off into the upper stratosphere and getting lost in space."
This is such a nice romance! Sure, not very original (it shares many common themes with other lesfic books), but nevertheless very enjoyable.

The story is told from the two protagonists' points of view, both 18-19 years old. One of them is Payton, who already knows she likes women, and is very aware of her attraction to her (can

• Waiting in the Wings
  • And Playing the Role of Herself
  • Her Name in the Sky
  • Taking Flight
  • Dating Sarah Cooper
  • Kiss the Girl (Soho Loft, #1)
  • Just Three Words (Soho Loft, #2)
  • Just Juliet
  • Anyone But Her
  • Starting from Scratch
  • Heart Block
  • On the Outside
Kristen is a Massachusetts-based freelance writer and editor. A member of the International Womens Writing Guild, she holds a B.A. in English with a Concentration in Creative Writing from Montclair State University. She also studied Music Performance with a focus on percussion instruments at Five Towns College. When not busy writing or burying her nose in books of the YA/New Adult fiction ...more