Start by marking “How to Get Rich” as Want to Read:
How to Get Rich

How to Get Rich

'Making money is a knack, a knack that can be acquired. And if someone like me can become rich, then so can you - no matter what your present circumstances. Here is how I did it and what I learned along the way.' So writes Felix Dennis, who believes that almost anyone of reasonable intelligence can become rich, given sufficient motivation and application.

How To Get Rich is
Published August 2nd 2007 by Ebury Press

The Minimalist Mindset by Danny DoverHow to Get Rich by Felix DennisEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayThe Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Perspective
24 books — 7 voters
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillGood to Great by James C. CollinsRich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Best Business Books
798 books — 1,534 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of How to Get Rich
Vaishali
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
Possibly one of the most important books I've ever read, from the late founder of Dennis Publishing [estimated personal fortune: £600 million]. A very brass tacks -sometimes vulgar - testimony on how he amassed his wealth.

The following notes still omit tremendous info, so please read the book ! :)

NOTES :
----------------------

The term "rich" starts at a total asset value of $22-$60 million. This is also known as "the lesser rich".

You will never get rich if you:
————————————
1. Are unwilling to fail
Lena
Jan 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, business
I don't have much interest in "How to get rich" books, in part because they are so often written by people who a.) overestimate the skill and underestimate the luck that brought them their own success or b.) made more money writing books telling people how to get rich than they ever did at whatever business they were previously in.

I decided to give this one a try, however, since it was written by Felix Dennis, a man who had the foresight to purchase a major stake in the crack-like news periodic
Tim Pendry
Jun 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone young, losers who blame others, relatives of losers who blame others
This is a book that I am going to pass straight on to my seventeen year old son, not because of its insights into business (although it rings true on that account) but because of its insights into human nature and into the world 'out there' that he is going to have to negotiate in the coming years.

Like all sons, he won't listen to his Dad (and no real reason why he should) but he might listen to 'uncle' Felix.

Why should he? Because Felix Dennis is going to stop him wasting a lot of time believ
Mohammad
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How to get rich
I listened to the audio version. It had a British accent. Fun to listen to. I don’t know if the narrator and the author was the same or not.
It starts with personal characteristics necessary for getting rich; Pig-headed determination, stamina, boldness, self-belief, persistence, and of course, execution.
Then it shows you how to get capital, upsides and downsides of every method, errors entrepreneurs usually make, cash flow, how to negotiate, importance of ownership, delegation, inc
Robert Gryn
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A book that I read twice before starting my own business (now valued at $180M). It is a must read for anyone ever seriously considering starting their own business. Looking back I can clearly see just how much I took away from Felix's story. He helped me manage my expectations for becoming rich and I feel that without this book I wouldn't have come as far as I have. Thank you, RIP.
Bartosz Majewski
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I first encountered this book through codewise founder - Rob Gryn and his vlog. Since he obviously got rich and recommended that book i was interested in it. Then i found out that it was written by Felix Dennis who's net worth was around 750m in 2007 when he wrote it. And he made a big chunk of his money in publishing. He managed to become rich while in publishing. In XXI century. What an accomplishment. Since he made his money himself he has something to back his claims.

Since most of the peopl
Bill
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
While it sounds like one of those "get rich quick" books that often make it to the top of bestseller lists, "How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis is the real thing.

Dennis is a British multi-millionaire AND poet. The combination makes for intriguing reading.

Most importantly, he doesn't cut corners or beat around the bush. He tells the reader what it really takes. And, for most people, the commitment, sacrifice and pure energy required to become rich will simply be too much.

But, if you're intereste
Nicholas
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Daniel
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don’t get fooled by the title. This book is different from other books with similar titles (or so I would assume as I have not read the others) because the author has actually done it in real life.

The book contains many useful – and sometimes brutally honest – truths. I know this from personal experience and have seen many of the principles discussed at work in real life.

This book is for you that have a strong urge to quit your current job which is not challenging and developing to instead be yo
Tiago Soares
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a book! Full of though truths that people who want to accumulate wealth and big build businesses need to know.

Even though I have read many books on the topic, I must admit this cuts short on the woo-woo stuff. On top of that, I must admit it was also very entertaining.

Felix Dennis is not someone who I want to emulate, but certainly someone who earned my respect and that I have lots to learn from.

P.S.: I'm aware of his death.
Jim
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It takes the immortal words of C Montgomery Burns of The Simpsons to summarise this book: "Family, religion, friends.. these are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business." Felix Dennis is an eccentric, a character, a legend in his own wine-fueled lunchtime, and let's be thankful for it. In terms of having a voice, this book is one of the most forceful, and enjoyable books I've read for a long time. Felix harangues you from almost every page. So you want to be rich? Okay. ...more
Lech Kaniuk
How To Get Rich by Felix Dennis is about becoming rich but not about being a good person nor a great leader or manager. It’s Felix reflections about how to get rich. I don’t necessarily agree with everything but with some I do. Here are a few of his advice:
- Cut loose from negative influence and never give in.
- ignore “great ideas”. Concentrate on great execution!
- Focus.
- Hire talent smarter than you. Delegate and share the annual pie.
- Ownership is the real “secret”. Hold on to every percenta
Daniel
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was really excited by this book, because already in first few pages Felix was telling me that in this book we will discover HOW TO GET RICH. Unfortunately, as many books promise ''something'' Felix is swift at saying what the reader wants to read, but not delivering it. This book is suitable for someone who already has a business, and not a small business but probably something like a small corporation. In fact, he gives his example how he got rich through magazines industry which he was/is in ...more
Danny Draper
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most useful and certainly most entertaining books I have ever read in this genre. Felix Dennis is frank, both about the trials and tribulations of getting rich, and his own life.

Here is an animated video summary I made of this great book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImkl...

Key takeaway points:

• Don’t let your life be ruled by fear. You can’t care what the neighbours think. Starting a business with the aim to make millions will often mean you’ll be shamefully grovelling fo
Mary
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mary Iannarino
Mrs. Smeenk
AP Lang
11 September 2017
A Book Review on Felix Dennis’s: How to get Rich
How to get Rich, a book published in 2006 by Felix Dennis, is a portrayal of not only the steps one must take to acquire wealth, but is also focused on the sacrifices made in order to be successful. The realism of his writing is unlike any other book I have read on the process of becoming wealthy. This is due to Dennis’s many paradoxes and analogies, which are used to portray a rather pessimistic pi
Gert Kulla
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
nothing special
Neil Sharma
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The title sounds like it was conceived by a snake oil salesman who wrote a self-help book. I almost skipped this one, but the good reviews got the better of me. I'm glad I read it, though I think a better name is 'Entrepreneur's Manifesto'.

This book is anything from a self-help book -- Felix's advice often warns people of the perils entailed from the desire to be ostentatiously rich, and reiterates that reading this book will not make you any money.

Rather, it is about a rich, retired media mogul
Alexey Shurygin
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your usual “get rich quick” scam. I’m half through the book and have already found two deep insights. Thanks @naval for recommending it.
Waseem
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I couldn't continue to ignore this book as it kept coming up in my life as recommendations ... Similar books I've purchased via amazon and glowing reviews .. So I finally got round to reading it . And to be honest I don't see what the big fuss is about .. Granted it is a ' good book' so in a way I dnt have a lot complain about .. Yet I think am bring abit harsh - because I was expecting so much from it...

If you remotely liked this book I HIGHLY recommend and ( prefer ) a similar straight talking
Mary Mimouna
I read this book some time ago and still have it as a permanent addition to my bookshelf.

I especially recall two points from the book that I want to share with other readers.

Dennis was broke and unemployed and ended up becoming a successful self-made millionaire. His book is the fascinating and hopeful story of how he did it, through TAKING ACTION, rather than just dreaming and talking.

The other really useful thing is that he discusses how and why one passes through the stage of reckless hedon
Angelo Karageorgos
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really excellent book from a person that has achieved everything he claims. He doesn't sell cheap advice or unrealistic expectations. That's the most important thing.

After Dennis acquired a lot of money through the magazine business only then was able to calmly focus on the love of his life, poetry. And this is a lesson to all of us or to all those who read "self-development" advice that just says do what you love and will make you rich... Only a few people have the luck(?) to have suc
David
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I first took an interest in this book because I thought I wanted to get rich. Now, I'm not so sure that I do. There's a price to be paid and sacrifices to be made and I don't think that any amount of money would compensate me for the cost. At this stage of his life, when he has very little to prove, Dennis is reflective and philosophical about his successes and failures as well as pragmatic in the advice he gives. What I most enjoyed about this book is the balance the author achieves between enc ...more
Danni
Feb 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction
This was recommended to me in one of the email newsletters that I subscribe to, and wow I hated it. I I thought this would have some good wisdom but Dennis rambles a lot. His biggest takeaways are that you have to be persistent and never give up, and if you want to be a millionaire then make sure you own 100% of your company.

Dennis earned his first millions in the magazine publishing industry 40 years ago, so I didn't feel like many of his insights were applicable to present-day success. I'm su
Emerset
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Awful title. Very easy and interesting read for a high-school student. Not exactly about how to get rich, more about what kind of life choices (in the 80's for a white guy) allowed this guy to do it. It's a crass book and the author knows it, but it's still informative. Maybe even its crudeness is informative in itself. "Being rich" does not make someone more interesting or provide them with tact or charisma. But neither does poverty provide artists with authenticity.
It's the kind of book that p
Roslyn
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious. Those who spend 10 million dollars a year are living at the upper level of poverty. Makes perfect sense to me.

This book was super helpful too. Far more honest and real than any other book on money I have read. And important. Talking to me about the things I have always wanted to understand about rich people--why are they not happier?!!!

I took off one star because it was a little repetitive. But otherwise, Dennis, I really want to hang out. Please call me.
Peter
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: motivation
Beautifully written, tells you like it is. Either you are the kind of person that's gonna be rich or you're not. Don't delude yourself if you're not: if you're not totally obsessed with it, and truly believe you deserve to be rich, you're not going to be. Surprisingly, I found this book often moving, especially the part about Vincent van Gogh. Easily one of my best reads of 2008.
Heinz
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Multimillionaire British publisher Felix Dennis (of Maxim fame) writes a very engaging and practical book on how he got rich (most important lesson: keep your equity). I like the fact that he says this book is all there is to it -- he's not selling seminars, courses, DVDs, etc. to get rich off his readers.
Brett Hinton
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
To be clear - I did not finish the book. The anecdotes were nice but the material just want engaging me. That and the premise of you have to want to get rich above all else just turned me off. I guess I'll never be rich (by his standard anyway). That and he consistently told me as a 30+ I was hopeless anyway.
Moses 88
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is not a bad book, it's actually more like 3.5, but I gave it 2 stars because of the disingenuous title. it's really a book about successful entrepreneurship and competitive mindset. basically, the entire long book can be summarized in one sentence; you MUST start and own a business, sometimes being selfish as a manager is a good thing. that's it.
Heidi
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book, quite readable, by a very funny man. I will most likely not follow his path or patterns, as we are very different temperaments. but he gives some really good advice on attaining and keeping wealth. Through many lessons he had to learn himself.
how to add review of book on my website 1 2 Sep 22, 2017 11:00PM
How to get Rich - Felix Dennis 1 14 Apr 23, 2013 07:35AM

• The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Unscripted: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Losing My Virginity: How I've Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way
  • Siła Pędu - Lech Kaniuk
  • Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School
  • Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Anything You Want
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone
  • Choose Yourself: Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream
  • The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late
  • How Rich People Think
  • Efficiency: Get Rich Without Giving Up Your Life
  • Zaufanie, czyli waluta przyszłości. Moja droga od zera do 7 milionów z bloga
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Finansowy ninja
Felix Dennis (born 1947 in Kingston-upon-Thames, United Kingdom) was a British magazine publisher and philanthropist. His privately owned company, Dennis Publishing, pioneered computer and hobbyist magazine publishing in the United Kingdom. In more recent times the company has added lifestyle titles such as its flagship brand The Week, which is published in Britain, the United States and Australia ...more