Start by marking “The Ekkos Clan” as Want to Read:
The Ekkos Clan

The Ekkos Clan

"The Ekkos Clan" is the story of Kratu’s search for the killers of his family, his own roots and the mystery behind his grandmother’s stories.

It’s the fascinating account of Kubha and the basketful of folklore she inherited from her ancestors. The eventful lives of Kubha and her family span a hundred years and encompass turbulent phases of Indian history. The family saga u
Published July 2013 by Niyogi Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ekkos Clan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ekkos Clan

Rubina
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
What a horror it must have been to live during the times of partition of India! I have heard some horror stories of those times from my Dadu (grandfather). To me they were just stories. Fascinating since I was hearing it from the mouth of the experienced. Reading Ekkos Clan by Sudipto Das brought out the horrors again. Chilling! Heartfelt and sadistically fascinating.

The story has many shades. The modern times depicting the lives of Kratu, Tits and Afsar. then the ones who were caught between t
Raka Bose
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's a totally new kind of book I've come across in a long time. There have been lots of books about Greek, Roman or Christian history. Dan Brown has exploited many controversial aspects of Christianity and written very good thrillers. I've always wondered why someone didn't write similar book about ancient Indian history. And now it's there. I won't put it in the same genre as Dan Brown, as this one is not a fast paced thriller. It's quite unique in its own sense. It solves many mysteries held ...more
Nikita Jhanglani
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sudipto Das is being touted as the Indian Dan Brown, is what I’ve heard from several people who’ve read this book. To a huge extent, I agree with them. Dan Brown’s works, prominently the ones that have Robert Langdon, are extensive in the amount of facts presented. And so is Sudipto’s The Ekkos Clan. The amount of research that the author has done is as phenomenal as it is exhaustive, which of course makes it an interesting read.
True to the blurb, there are several bizarre incidents that keep t
Arushi Bose
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just enjoyed reading the book. It’s so different from most books I’ve read. It’s not very fast paced. Rather it proceeds languidly, encompassing its vast premise, cutting across continents, ages, cultures and civilizations. It’s an enriching experience reading about so diverse topics ranging from linguistics, archaeology, history and philosophy to music and engineering. The characters are so live and realistic. The mystery unfolds gradually and before you realize you’re already into it.
Priyanka Batra Harjai
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Ekkos Clan is a well researched and well drafted effort from a promising debutant Sudipto Das. If this is his first attempt, god knows what all he has with him to offer in years to come. Kudos for the efforts put in! Be it research or be it drafting an intriguing story well knit around social cause discussing rape and life of a rape victim, cultures, ancestry and lineage. This is a story laden with a stench of revenge wiping generations of generations yet unveiling the roots and connections ...more
Zenon Dsouza
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Remember the river, He never stops, He never gets lost. He has to flow and he should flow. If they are mountains in the way, he goes around them. He jumps and leaps and makes waterfalls. God help those who help themselves. Do whatever you want but never give up on life, Do anything, but never die, for life is better than death. WOW.
The writer take you to a roller-coaster ride beautifully written, taking the past, the present into the future. The story keeps boomeranging on you time and again. Se
Shrey Goyal
Written by débutante author Sudipto Das, the Ekkos Clan is essentially a mystery novel exploring the lives of multiple generations of a family as they realise a pattern of mysterious deaths and unknown benefactors around them. It’s not the average whodunnit though, and is grounded in a substantial base of research and exploration into our past and the origins of our civilisation. This journey wasn’t made with the aid of tangible historical remains and proofs, which diminish once you try to step ...more
Pratibha Pratibha
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-fiction, 2014
The Ekkos clan is a story of Kubha , an extraordinary lady who entertains and teaches her kids a lot of stories from her home town. Each story is then passed over years by her kids to their kids and grandchildren. what no one realizes is that the tales are deep rooted in history of civilization and hold the key to some very important facts about the origin of the oldest culture.

The writing of the book is very engaging and detailed in all aspects. There is no lose threads in this tapestry of lif
Lakshmi Chandrasekharan
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
The beginning is extremely promising - uplifting despite the circumstances in Bangladesh where its based - and gets you hooked on. The rest of the story is more about the mystery around Kubha and her stories. I am not sure if the level of complexity was required to make the story more believeable - but it was quite unputdownable. I loved Sudipto's imagination and I simply enjoyed reading it. If this is his debut and he has more stories crawling in his head, waiting to be written - he should just ...more
Meghant Parmar
Dec 12, 2013 rated it liked it
It's history in the making with the help of history, present and some unexplained events in the past and the present.

There's a lot of action in the book and there are a lot of things which will go above the head too. The n number of characters in the book is one such thing. The regional dialect makes it all the more difficult. The first half is very slow.

Second half is more exciting. The end is too plain and simple. The story thrills in parts but not all the time.

Over all it's a good historic
Rishi Vasudev
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well researched and well written. I found the first part really gripping and the rest of it quite interesting. Well done Sudipto.
Rangarajan Iyengar
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Posted review on my blog:
Kala.e.Kitaabi
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kalaekitaabi
What an adventure I had through this book. How an old saga chooses its heir to sought out the layers of mystery with the help of history that has been collecting piles of dust for a century. A must read.
Anirban Majumder
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please read. Will experience a journey through history like none other.
Debraj Moulick
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Blog

A Book Review of The Ekkos Clan
The Ekkos Clan is one of the supreme novel of the year, a complete masterpiece of the Postcolonial genre. It traces the indigenous culture of the colonised population, celebrates the richness of the glorious past and in the process it reveals a well guarded secret that could change the entire history of the world.
The book bears the pangs of partition, the richness of folklores, the intrigues of a traged and lastly the
Inderpreet Uppal
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
‘The Sun loves all of us,’ Kubha said. ‘He spreads his love through his light. Still he has to go to another house every night so that he can love the other people there.’

These lines sent the tone of the book, such beautiful, introspective and selfless. Simple words but with such deep meaning, easy and such a stunning simile. Read the book to know why these words are spoken.

The book is not your regular light reading, but it is sure to keep you hooked for hours on end as you try to unravel the my
Denim Datta
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A novel from Indian IT professional apart from Romantic blabbering theme is a rare thing. Sudipto Das's Ekkos Clan "is the story of Kratu’s search for the killers of his family, his own roots and the mystery behind his grandmother’s stories".

The story starts very nicely. The first part, Bangladesh, was awesome. The description of the lives during partition was superb.
Afterward, though the inner material was great, I felt there was a bit drag here and there. Storyline keeps losing and gaining pa
Ranganayakulu konduri
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It is an awesome and fabulous work. Lot of thought and research gone into this. For an engineer like Sudipto to come up with this script is really amazing. He explained quite a few events during Indo-pak partition very nicely. Even though he is electronics engineer he explained some of the automobile engineering related aspects very fabulously. Only one drawback I see is lot of characters and their nick names were introduced at the start itself which made me little bit confused while reading fir ...more
Shilpi
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an incredible story of Protagonist Khuba who is a great lady and has made innumerable sacrifices for her family & village. Her grandson Kratu sets on a journey, digging into the past to solve mysteries of murders, Rig Veda and family history. The story is a page turner that compels you to think about Historical & Geographical facts of your own roots! It is mesmerizing, intriguing and thrilling with the climax leaving you spellbound.

An awesome must read book.
Ruchi Agarwal
Prateek Singh
Oct 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Does it have anything common with Dan Brown's books? 1 8 Aug 04, 2013 11:26AM
Sudipto Das was born in Calcutta in 1973 to a family which fled Bangladesh during the partition riots of 1947. He grew up listening to horrid stories of the partition, something which he has used extensively in his debut novel The Ekkos Clan, published in 2013. A violinist, trained in Western classical music, Sudipto debuted as a music composer in 2014, when he recreated Eastern European melodies ...more