Start by marking “How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less” as Want to Read:
How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less

How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  4,000 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
Whether selling, managing, negotiating, planning, collaborating, pitching, instructing-or on your knees with a marriage proposal-the secret of success is based on connecting with other people. Now that connection is infinitely easier to make through Nicholas Boothman's program of rapport by design.How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less is the work of a master of ...more
Published September 15th 2000 by Workman Publishing Company (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less

Leah
Jan 28, 2013 added it
This book is like a "motivational" seminar: all gimmick and no substance. The message is common sense with some simplistic psychology. There are a few helpful things (ask questions that invite full answers, show you're listening to the person talking without parroting them, mimic their body language subtly to gain trust, etc.) but it's buried in the author's self-congratulation about what an awesome communicator he is and constant summaries of what he's mentioned. This book is written at an elem ...more
The Knowledge Guy
Dec 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
I should have been more skeptical of a book titled How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less , but unfortunately for me I wasn’t. I found the book about 170 pages too long. The helpful material was the making of a pamphlet, not a book. There is very little in this work that is truly unique. Most material on this subject matter is usually a repackaging of Dale Carnegie’s 1930’s teachings and writings with some statistical information de jour tacked on to it. So, I’m going against the gra ...more
Kristi
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. This book is less annoying than the title might make you think. Starting from the basic premise that you have 90 seconds or less to make an impression, the author covers four different areas that can help to build rapport with someone: attitude, synchronization, conversation, and sensory preferences. Many of his suggestions are pretty commonsensical, but the sections on synchronization and sensory preferences were fairly new to me. He follows the general format of outlining an aspect ...more
Jessie
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I thought this was a really interesting read on NLP, with much of it about body language too. Being such a curious person, learning anything new makes me happy, but I really did learn a lot of stuff in here that I didn't already know. The stuff about visual, auditory and kinesthetic was brilliant, I had no idea that such a thing existed. So have I gained enough to put this into practice in my daily life? Yes, I think I probably have. It is all explained really simply and is very user friendly. E ...more
Leftbanker
Apr 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Getting people to like you isn’t always easy, at least when you aren’t paying them. First impressions are important, especially when the encounter doesn’t include you pulling some big bills out of your wallet while you idle at a corner in a sleazy part of town. Think of this guide as a way to make your other inter-personal relationships as easy as picking up a transvestite street walker. If even that simple task poses a challenge for you then perhaps you should start with our primer book, How to ...more
Derrick
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was worth it just to hear Nicholas say, "It's late" with different intonations. I don't think anything was groundbreaking, but the author did a good job of putting a lot of concepts together in a fairly digestible manor. I did listen to this book twice to pick up on somethings I missed the first time, and to reinforce other things.

I'm practicing asking open ended questions and mirroring right now. Well, at least I'm acutely aware when I'm doing a bad job of it.
Bonnie
I just created a new Shelf - Didn't Finish - and this is the first book I'm putting on this shelf. I listened to 5 chapters of the audiobook and think it would be a good book, but not something I wanted to continue.

The author is in fact a world-renowned fashion photographer who became very interested in the topic and went on to earn a certification with leading doctors in this field. He shares his learnings in the book.

For someone who is shy, would like to improve his perception in the world,
Steven Fouse
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good introduction to basic people skills, including being open and positive, using positive body language, listening when people are talking to you, and asking open-ended questions. Stuff you may not have heard of includes listening for and recognizing sensory preferences, and learning to speak in the sensory preference of the person you are with.

Overall great, easy read, especially if you are looking to connect more quickly and easily with those you encounter.
Anna
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
It was an ok read. You learn about body language, open ended questions, visual-auditory-kinesthetic preferences that people have. Wish it had a section on connecting with a large group of people--everything is geared toward one-on-one communication. There was a good section on active listening that can be helpful. Nothing exceptional but a somewhat interesting and easy read.
Glenda
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though the title of this audiobook is pretty cheesy, it provided a good listening experience for a few days of my short work commute. The author reminds us to adopt A Really Useful Attitude and the world would be a pleasanter place if we all did that.
Nanoo
Oct 03, 2012 added it
..وكتاب جميل .. يهدف للنجاح بإقامة علاقة جيدة مع الناس وترك انطباع أول جيد .. قسم الأشخاص إلى 3أصناف "سمعي وبصير وحركي "..تحدث عن طرق التعامل مع كل صنف .. وطرق التعرف على الحاسة المفضلة لدى كل منا.. رغم أن الكتاب يميل لإعطاء قواعد ونصائح إلا انني استفدت منه
Ilan
Jan 18, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3, 1
نيكولاس بوثمان
Rob Thompson
About the book: How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less (2000) is a guide to connecting, communicating and expanding your social world. These blinks will teach you how to strike up a conversation with strangers, make them like you and understand even their most subtle gestures.
About the author: Nicholas Boothman is a former fashion and advertising photographer who has spent the last two decades studying how people connect and communicate.

My highlights:
Connecting with others will make y
Donna
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have a son who suffers from social anxiety, so I'm always reading things that will help me to help him. This book wasn't that, unfortunately. This was more about basic manners most people learn in a family structure and in school. It was a nice reminder. The author is a photographer turned self-help author so he discussed tools that have helped him.

He had a few good ideas, but this felt like it was stretched out in order to make a book out of it. It felt a tad too long given the content, but
NEROL MARDIN
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anti-social people or those who find it difficult to introduce themselves and make conversations
This book would have got 4 stars from most people if it was titled something more like:
"The Basics of Establishing Contact"
I think you get the idea: The title lures you into thinking it has some pro advises.
It is simple and useful, but not much to those who find it easy to meet new people and introduce themselves.
Read it if you get nervous around people.
Michael Reyes
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
In so far as I can remember, it takes less than 10 seconds for someone to decide whether they like you or not. Now the usual trend is for these numbers to go lower… Which is why “How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less” intrigued me.

If you’ve previously read similar books to this, you’ll notice the same message… Look them in the eye, look presentable, exude confidence, practice your handshake, etc. Nothing revolutionary here, but Boothman adds his own little twist… Neuro-Linguistic Pro
Mary
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
nope
Kath
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Turns out the way to get people to respond to you is a combination of good manners and mimicking the person's gestures, vocal tone and rhythms. Nothing new here.
Sotiris Makrygiannis
trying hard to hit my 150 books per year target. this was again of low value for me but maybe for someone else could of higher value, who knows.
Dylana Carlson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought it was going to be informative yet concepts I was already familiar with. It was until the third part which discussed how learning styles affect your communication style as well. Really made me stop and assess my communication style and how it affects my one on one communication.
James
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Noting that this book was an experiment of sorts for myself: I had just started playing with the Overdrive app on my Kindle, found out you could use it to check out audio books, and I did the whole Bluetooth-to-my-car-stereo thing so I could listen while I drive. As such I deliberately chose a book that sounded at least kind of interesting, but not too interesting as I rightfully believed I wouldn't be paying 100% attention to it. So I kind of set myself up for failure.

Now, I liked How to Win Fr
Craig
I picked this book up to see if it mentioned anything that I didn't already know, or do unconsciously in situations. I think I tend to be a pretty like-able guy, but have recently been working on increasing my confidence in new situations. Most of what Boothman discussed was how to quickly establish good rapport, which is important in building any positive relationship.

Things I liked: Boothman explained that people often experience the world in a Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic manner. This poi
Hosein
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
در این کتاب نحوه صحیح ارتباط با دیگران را می آموزید. از نحوه شروع صحبت گرفته تا نحوه صحیح ایستادن . با خواندن این کتاب میتوانید توانایی های خود را در گسترش روابط اجتماعی ارتقا ببخشید. خواندن این کتاب را به شما توصیه میکنم.
البته من این کتاب را به صورت میکروبوک و در فیدیبو خوندم
George
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Right off the bat I didn't like this book. I had just finished another audio book with a pleasant voice and this one, in contrast, grated on my nerves. The reader was trying too hard to sound conversational, and the pauses were in all the wrong places. I'm glad I stuck it out, however, because in the end the the author proved his point (I scored "B" or auditory on all the questions), I agreed with a lot of the information, and enjoyed some new insight.
Sai
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: talking-skills
There isn't much to this book beyond: have a tight feedback loop around what you want to get out of social relationships, and then actively try to get make it happen by course correcting as necessary.
Most of it is feel good snake oil salesmanship.
Anita
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Work recommended this book for me (actually all of us, not just me). I am leaning in, synchronizing my behavior and voice, observing, then using your sensory preference, Voila. How do you like me now?
William Murray
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for people with Asperger's Syndrome. I slowly went through the book practicing a chapter or 2 at a time and the general response from others is changing. Certainly noticing changes in my relationships at work and outside.
Peter Koevari
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting book, which breaks down communications to a basic three key levels, and gives some practical advice. Nothing groundbreaking here, but good practices in empathy and first impressions.
EmmiK
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I gave this 4 stars but I feel like I wasted my money, this stuff isn't exactly practical. There's a lot to remember if you plan on following what this book preaches.
Pauline
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
An easy read/listening...The audio-book voice was terrible...Pretty much many things are just common sense and I think just one chapter could do the same job.
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life
  • How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends
  • The Personality Code
  • Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior- -Anytime, Anyplace
  • Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth in 5 Minutes or Less in Any Conversation or Situation
  • The Fine Art of Small Talk: How to Start a Conversation, Keep It Going, Build Networking Skills--and Leave a Positive Impression!
  • NLP: The New Technology of Achievement
  • Mental Traps: The Overthinker's Guide to a Happier Life
  • Decoding Love: Why It Takes Twelve Frogs to Find a Prince, and Other Revelations from the Science of Attraction
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • It's Not All about Me: The Top Ten Techniques for Building Quick Rapport with Anyone
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Conversationally Speaking: Tested New Ways to Increase Your Personal and Social Effectiveness
  • Trump: How to Get Rich
  • How to Read a Person Like a Book
  • Clarkson on Cars
I am passionate about human potential.

I spent the first 25 years of my working life as a fashion photographer and as a father of five children. I met so many people with tremendous potential but without any people skills - they were like roses with rubber bands wrapped around them - and they'd never blossom until someone took off that rubber band. I made up my mind to be that person.

I took a risk

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
    $9.74 $1.99
  • AWOL on the Appalachian Trail
    $3.99 $1.99
“Hallowell, in his very savvy book Connect, cites the 1979 Alameda” 1 likes
“you’ll need someone’s help to get it. If people like you, they will be disposed to give you their time and their efforts. And the better the quality of rapport you have with them, the higher the level of their cooperation.” 1 likes