Start by marking “How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less” as Want to Read:
How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less

How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less

Whether selling, managing, negotiating, planning, collaborating, pitching, instructing-or on your knees with a marriage proposal-the secret of success is based on connecting with other people. Now that connection is infinitely easier to make through Nicholas Boothman's program of rapport by design.How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less is the work of a master of ...more
Published September 15th 2000 by Workman Publishing Company (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less

Start your review of How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less
The Knowledge Guy
Dec 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
I should have been more skeptical of a book titled How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less , but unfortunately for me I wasn’t. I found the book about 170 pages too long. The helpful material was the making of a pamphlet, not a book. There is very little in this work that is truly unique. Most material on this subject matter is usually a repackaging of Dale Carnegie’s 1930’s teachings and writings with some statistical information de jour tacked on to it. So, I’m going against the g ...more
Kristi
Apr 11, 2013 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. This book is less annoying than the title might make you think. Starting from the basic premise that you have 90 seconds or less to make an impression, the author covers four different areas that can help to build rapport with someone: attitude, synchronization, conversation, and sensory preferences. Many of his suggestions are pretty commonsensical, but the sections on synchronization and sensory preferences were fairly new to me. He follows the general format of outlining an aspect ...more
Leftbanker
Apr 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: health-fitness, humor
Getting people to like you isn’t always easy, at least when you aren’t paying them—you’ve tried paying people, right?. First impressions are important, especially when the encounter doesn’t include you pulling some big bills out of your wallet while you idle at a corner in a sleazy part of town. Think of this guide as a way to make your other inter-personal relationships as easy as picking up a transvestite street walker. If even that simple task poses a challenge for you, then perhaps you shoul ...more
Debbie
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I thought this was a really interesting read on NLP, with much of it about body language too. Being such a curious person, learning anything new makes me happy, but I really did learn a lot of stuff in here that I didn't already know. The stuff about visual, auditory and kinesthetic was brilliant, I had no idea that such a thing existed. So have I gained enough to put this into practice in my daily life? Yes, I think I probably have. It is all explained really simply and is very user friendly. E ...more
Derrick
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it was worth it just to hear Nicholas say, "It's late" with different intonations. I don't think anything was groundbreaking, but the author did a good job of putting a lot of concepts together in a fairly digestible manor. I did listen to this book twice to pick up on somethings I missed the first time, and to reinforce other things.

I'm practicing asking open ended questions and mirroring right now. Well, at least I'm acutely aware when I'm doing a bad job of it.
Glenda
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though the title of this audiobook is pretty cheesy, it provided a good listening experience for a few days of my short work commute. The author reminds us to adopt A Really Useful Attitude and the world would be a pleasanter place if we all did that.
Steven Fouse
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a good introduction to basic people skills, including being open and positive, using positive body language, listening when people are talking to you, and asking open-ended questions. Stuff you may not have heard of includes listening for and recognizing sensory preferences, and learning to speak in the sensory preference of the person you are with.

Overall great, easy read, especially if you are looking to connect more quickly and easily with those you encounter.
Nadia's Library
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not broadly applicable and misleading. Interesting for general knowledge for the laymen but not in broader application.
Heidi
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to the first part of this book while I was grooming my dog....attitude and synchronization were discussed. I learned about the concept of being in sync with my clients while at school for Counseling. However, the second half, conversation and sensory preferences were more interesting for me because even though I am a therapist, I am extremely uncomfortable having a conversation with strangers. Yes, I know, it makes no sense....but there it is. lol
Though many of his suggestions seemed
Celo
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
One (Long) sentence review:
I don't usually read motivational or life-guru literature, but when I do, it remains me why I don't in the first place, this one is no exception, please, if you are lucky in your life and do not see the complexity of social interaction, pretty please, just don't write book about it.
María
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is more complicated than what I expected but I can see how the advice can be valuable.
Lily Haven
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite the title, which can be off putting to plenty of people, much in the same way "How to Win Friends and Influence People" throws some people off as they mentally run down the path "It's just manipulating people!" before even really looking into the content, this book is a good bare bones introduction to NLP.

Tony Robbins talks about connecting with others with NLP as well and I found it interesting reading about it, but I found this book to be more digestible when presenting it. So really I
Bonnie
I just created a new Shelf - Didn't Finish - and this is the first book I'm putting on this shelf. I listened to 5 chapters of the audiobook and think it would be a good book, but not something I wanted to continue.

The author is in fact a world-renowned fashion photographer who became very interested in the topic and went on to earn a certification with leading doctors in this field. He shares his learnings in the book.

For someone who is shy, would like to improve his perception in the world,
Anna
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
It was an ok read. You learn about body language, open ended questions, visual-auditory-kinesthetic preferences that people have. Wish it had a section on connecting with a large group of people--everything is geared toward one-on-one communication. There was a good section on active listening that can be helpful. Nothing exceptional but a somewhat interesting and easy read.
William Murray
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for people with Asperger's Syndrome. I slowly went through the book practicing a chapter or 2 at a time and the general response from others is changing. Certainly noticing changes in my relationships at work and outside.
Sotiris Makrygiannis
trying hard to hit my 150 books per year target. this was again of low value for me but maybe for someone else could of higher value, who knows.
Dale Rosenberg
May 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Pretty much just standard sales techniques.
Rob Thompson
About the book: How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less (2000) is a guide to connecting, communicating and expanding your social world. These blinks will teach you how to strike up a conversation with strangers, make them like you and understand even their most subtle gestures.
About the author: Nicholas Boothman is a former fashion and advertising photographer who has spent the last two decades studying how people connect and communicate.

My highlights:
Connecting with others will make y
Donna
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have a son who suffers from social anxiety, so I'm always reading things that will help me to help him. This book wasn't that, unfortunately. This was more about basic manners most people learn in a family structure and in school. It was a nice reminder. The author is a photographer turned self-help author so he discussed tools that have helped him.

He had a few good ideas, but this felt like it was stretched out in order to make a book out of it. It felt a tad too long given the content, but
Sneha Chaudhary
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michael Reyes
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
In so far as I can remember, it takes less than 10 seconds for someone to decide whether they like you or not. Now the usual trend is for these numbers to go lower… Which is why “How to Make People Like You in 90 Seconds or Less” intrigued me.

If you’ve previously read similar books to this, you’ll notice the same message… Look them in the eye, look presentable, exude confidence, practice your handshake, etc. Nothing revolutionary here, but Boothman adds his own little twist… Neuro-Linguistic Pro
Lisa
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you auditory, visual or kinesthetic? Mirroring a person’s physical actions, tapping into a person’s sensory preferences, and presenting openness with questions that welcome a person in...all contribute to to good human connection. Many good insights I can use with my students. Some chapters, I read again just to practice some f the author’s exercises.
NEROL MARDIN
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anti-social people or those who find it difficult to introduce themselves and make conversations
This book would have got 4 stars from most people if it was titled something more like:
"The Basics of Establishing Contact"
I think you get the idea: The title lures you into thinking it has some pro advises.
It is simple and useful, but not much to those who find it easy to meet new people and introduce themselves.
Read it if you get nervous around people.
Itze
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The book has good tips. However, I think the whole purpose of it could have been well redacted and summarized on a simple article.
Mary
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
nope
Kath
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Turns out the way to get people to respond to you is a combination of good manners and mimicking the person's gestures, vocal tone and rhythms. Nothing new here.
Kʜᴀɴ
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unnecessary elaboration and explanation killed the fun of all the positive things.
Dylana Carlson
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought it was going to be informative yet concepts I was already familiar with. It was until the third part which discussed how learning styles affect your communication style as well. Really made me stop and assess my communication style and how it affects my one on one communication.
James
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Noting that this book was an experiment of sorts for myself: I had just started playing with the Overdrive app on my Kindle, found out you could use it to check out audio books, and I did the whole Bluetooth-to-my-car-stereo thing so I could listen while I drive. As such I deliberately chose a book that sounded at least kind of interesting, but not too interesting as I rightfully believed I wouldn't be paying 100% attention to it. So I kind of set myself up for failure.

Now, I liked How to Win Fr
Craig
I picked this book up to see if it mentioned anything that I didn't already know, or do unconsciously in situations. I think I tend to be a pretty like-able guy, but have recently been working on increasing my confidence in new situations. Most of what Boothman discussed was how to quickly establish good rapport, which is important in building any positive relationship.

Things I liked: Boothman explained that people often experience the world in a Visual, Auditory, or Kinesthetic manner. This poi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
  • The Personality Code
  • How to Be a People Magnet: Finding Friends--And Lovers--And Keeping Them for Life
  • How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • How to Instantly Connect with Anyone: 96 All-New Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth in 5 Minutes or Less in Any Conversation or Situation
  • How to Read a Person Like a Book
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
  • How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends
  • NLP: The New Technology of Achievement
  • Nhà Nàng Ở Cạnh Nhà Tôi
  • The Introvert's Complete Career Guide: From Landing a Job, to Surviving, Thriving, and Moving on Up
  • Build an A-Team: Play to Their Strengths and Lead Them Up the Learning Curve
  • Time Management from the Inside Out: The Foolproof System for Taking Control of Your Schedule--and Your Life
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In
I am passionate about human potential.

I spent the first 25 years of my working life as a fashion photographer and as a father of five children. I met so many people with tremendous potential but without any people skills - they were like roses with rubber bands wrapped around them - and they'd never blossom until someone took off that rubber band. I made up my mind to be that person.

I took a risk