Start by marking “Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change” as Want to Read:
Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change

Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change

The new edition of the self-published hit, offering powerful strategies to end procrastination!
Why do we sabotage our own best intentions? How can we eliminate procrastination from our lives for good? Based on current psychological research and supplemented with clear strategies for change, this concise guide will help readers finally break free from self-destructive ideas
Published December 26th 2013 by TarcherPerigee (first published October 29th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Solving the Procrastination Puzzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solving the Procrastination Puzzle

Jim
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This very short book has some useful information, but the introductions annoyed me. Pychyl spent too much time talking about himself and thanking friends, and I felt it was a form of procrastination. Not a good sign for such a book.

However, once Pychyl got down to business he did provide some useful help. This was the first book I read for 2015, hoping to inspire me to get down to business, and avoiding doing what I think I should be doing.

I don't want to discourage others from using this book
John Martindale
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was short and sweet. I liked his example of the butcher shop that has a sign that reads “Today meat is at regular prices, tomorrow all meat is free” and when people come in tomorrow, the Butcher than just points to the sign and tells the person to come back tomorrow, only for them to return and the Butcher again points to the sign. This captures our regular experience of thinking “I don't feel like doing it now, I'll to it tomorrow” only for the morrow to come, and again we think “I do ...more
Ahmad
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great read, I liked how the strategies of the book are interrelated. It's well written, delivers what it promises. One of the main points of the book which is implementation intention reminded me of The Power of Habit, which reaffirms the importance of being conscious about our habits and how they are affecting ours lives.
Julian
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Procrastination has been a huge problem for me for years and right now the damage caused by it is disastrous. Plagued with guilt and regrets about the inefficient use of my time in the past, I procrastinated the last few weeks by looking up tons of info about procrastination; oh the irony :p
I read so much material on this topic now and even though this book is really short (easily read in 2-3 hours), it has been the most helpful.

Together with his website "procrastination.ca" and his "Don't Delay
Emily
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio version of this one. It was decent for a self help type of book. It was short, so that was a plus as sometimes they can be a little dry.

I learned a few things about procrastination.
1. Tomorrow never comes. We put off things until tomorrow and when tomorrow gets here, we continue to put it off again.
2. Procrastinators would rather have instant gratification than dealing with something unpleasant. I would rather play games on my phone than start whatever chore. The unpleasant
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Review originally published 31 July 2016 at Falling Letters.

Solving the Procrastination Puzzle is a book written by an author who really knows what he's talking about. Timothy A. Pychyl is a Canadian academic known in psychology for his research on procrastination. He founded the Procrastination Research Group in 1995 and has published numerous academic articles about procrastination. He put together this book to organize the ideas published on his blog and podcasts (xvi), and to "communicate id
Ian D
Good(ish). And predictable.
ratherastory
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, reference
I've been an avid listener of Pychyl's iProcrastinate podcast for quite some time now, though I'm still working my way through his back catalogue. Nothing in this book is new if you've listened to his podcast or read his blog on Psychology Today, but it does do a great job of summing up current thinking on procrastination as well as give concrete, helpful advice on "just get[ting] started," as he puts it.

The only reason I'm not giving this book five stars is the presence of the Carpe Diem comic
Lionkhan-sama
Aug 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A very boring book, with not much to offer. Most of the points made in this short audiobook are derivatives of common sense.
Owen
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: advice
It definitely had some good things to think about; two of the key takeaways for me are:
1. Procrastination can be triggered by a few different sorts of feelings that need to be dealt with in different ways, so it's worth seeing what you typically procrastinate about and try to spot a pattern.
2. Deciding in advance how you will react to potential obstacles (i.e. making "implementation intentions") completely counteracts the effect of depleted willpower. This fits with willpower not being what lets
Odyssey
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I got the audio book, the intro section was way too long. However once that was over, the advice and examples provided were very on point and useful. Just proves that sometimes the best advice is the simplest one.
Mihai Stanimir
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great little book for people who keep postponing important tasks.
Paula
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Easy to read, good advice. Based on scientific research.
Sajjad Azim
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, Concise and to the point.
Richard
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: procrastinators, duh.
Quite short and to the point. Recommended.
Robert Kamerer
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full of useful strategies. If you do tend to procrastinate, definitely pick this one up!
David Gellé
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
― Timothy A. Pychyl, Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change

“Just get started.”
Duygu
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so clear and concise, and it's composed of scientific research that can help people make meaningful changes in their lives. One thing that would make this book even better would be a chapter on mindfulness, but I guess the author has written articles on this subject elsewhere:

Nathaniel
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an excellent and practical book about ways to procrastinate less. Dr. Pychyl is a psychologist who has been studying and blogging about procrastination for decades, and in this very concentrated (i.e. short) book he explains many of the causes and mechanisms of procrastination along with approaches to over come them.

The book offers no quick-fixes, which is a plus, but it did introduce me to the concept of an implementation intention which, while not a quick-fix, is an experimentally vali
Jonas
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mental
I read a couple of books on that topic and this one is by far the best one. This is for several reasons:
This book is relatively short and while the author argues that this is because of the nature of the topic, I think the book speaks better to me because it cuts out all the filling material, that self-help books are typically bloated with.
This book also showed me much better than any other book why I procrastinate, which in turn makes me better understand how I can beat that problem. The scient
Eren Keşküş
I certainly could relate to the situations and emotions described in the book. The author shared outcomes of social experiments which I found very interesting.
The book was informative in general, and I feel like I did gain insight.
I think I will be able to analyze myself and recognize my patterns better.
It also made me to understand that, that is an actual problem that many battle with. The fact that it is an actual problem, and one can sabotage themselves left me rather with bitter emotions.
Genna
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you struggle with procrastination in school, work, or any other part of your life, you should read this book.Tim Pychyl is the procrastination guru. I've seen him talk and he really knows his stuff. In this book, he writes in a way that is easy to read and easy to understand. It helps you better understand where procrastination comes from and is really helpful to counsellors and gives great suggestions on how to work with it. It really is written for for people just to read on their own, it's ...more
Christopher Anderson
Nov 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
Skip this one and read "Eat that Frog". Its significantly better.
Raphael Lysander
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, except the "procrastination" of dealing with the real matter and subject in the beginning, it was a nice, somehow helpful book.
Lola
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I'd give it 3.5, the book was straight to the point and a quick read. Would recommend it for someone oblivious to their procrastination, personally, the tips seemed rather obvious.
Leah
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The value of this book is that it is a digest of my research, and most important, this book provides a concise summary of key strategies to reduce procrastination in your life."

Perhaps, like me, you've already heard about or been told Pychyl's most basic strategy (as it's the advice most often cited in nearly all how-to articles on procrastination): just get started.

For years this simple advice baffled me. What do you mean, just get started?! Because getting started IS the obstacle. Or so I th
Jeff Cann
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Timothy Pychyl offers a useful definition of procrastination:

"Procrastination is the voluntary delay of an intended action despite the knowledge that this delay may harm the individual in terms of the task performance or even just how the individual feels about the task or him- or herself."

This captured my attention because of two components: voluntary delay despite future harm and the feelings one has about the task that is delaying.

For me the book provided many intriguing and apt explanations
Soheil
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I chose to listen to the audio book because I felt I needed help overcoming some procrastinating habits. The size of the book was very short in comparison to other works and felt like it could give me a few useful tips. The audio book is 2.5 hours long and is well-read for the most part by the author with a Canadian accent.

After 15-20 minutes of nonsense and deliberations which pointed why I should read this book (which I already knew!) the main part started. This is how the book went:

1. Don't p
Claudia
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author was wise to keep the book short and to-the-point to keep us from procrastinating in reading it! I found his main points very helpful. The book helped me understand why we procrastinate and gave me good tools to be more proactive in getting things done instead of putting them off... Just get started. I really won’t feel more like doing the task tomorrow. Make if/then predecisions. “It will only take a minute” rarely does.

It’s easy to deceive ourselves when it comes to procrastination.
Tõnu Vahtra
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short book, and also brief. Not many original ideas, mostly collection of anti-procrastination methodologies but I guess that so much has been written already on this topic that it's hard to come up with something unexpected.

Below quote stood out most from this book in my view:
“Let go of the misconception that our motivational state must match the task at hand. In fact, social psychologists have demonstrated that attitudes follow behaviors more than (or at least as much as) behaviors follow at
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Deadly Outbreaks: How Medical Detectives Save Lives Threatened by Killer Pandemics, Exotic Viruses, and Drug-Resistant Parasites
  • How to Die: An Ancient Guide to the End of Life
  • Go for Gold: Inspiration to Increase Your Leadership Impact
  • Anxiety: A Very Short Introduction
  • 3 Seconds: The Power of Thinking Twice
  • Real Dissent: A Libertarian Sets Fire to the Index Card of Allowable Opinion
  • Organized Crime: The Unvarnished Truth About Government
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2012
  • The Secret Life of the Grown-up Brain: The Surprising Talents of the Middle-Aged Mind
  • The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD: An 8-Step Program for Strengthening Attention, Managing Emotions, and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Last Hours of Humanity: Warming the World to Extinction
  • The Spirit of Kaizen: Creating Lasting Excellence One Small Step at a Time
  • What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day
  • People Tools for Business
  • Autopilot: The Art & Science of Doing Nothing
  • Your Best Just Got Better: Work Smarter, Think Bigger, Achieve More
  • The War of the Spanish Succession 1701 - 1714
  • Playing to Win: Becoming the Champion
“you can delegate the activity but not the responsibility; you can share the praise but not the blame.” 7 likes
“the most finite, limited resource in our lives is time. We only have a finite amount of time to live. Why waste it?” 4 likes