Start by marking “Rumble Tumble” as Want to Read:
Rumble Tumble

Rumble Tumble (Hap and Leonard #5)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  2,011 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
Barely making ends meet as a bouncer at a local club, Hap Collins is hitting the hard edge of a mid-life crisis. But neither he nor his good buddy Leonard Pine have time for therapy. Hap's girlfriend Brett has a daughter in desperate need of a quick rescue from Hootie Hoot, Oklahoma, where she's been taking drugs and turning tricks. So Hap, Brett, and Leonard set out on a ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Mysterious Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Rumble Tumble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumble Tumble

Dan Schwent
When someone brings Brett news of her daughter wanting out of the prostitution business, Hap & Leonard, with Brett in tow, go to Hootie Hoot Oklahoma to find her. But does Tillie want to be found?

My Hap and Leonard re-read continues with the fifth volume, Rumble Tumble. The Hap and Leonard tradition of kicking ass and cracking wise continues, this time featuring pistol-whipping, steroided up bodyguards, hookers, bikers, drug dealers, and one red haired little person.

Rumble Tumble isn't my f
Kemper
This book features the pistol whipping of a little person, the rescue of an armadillo from a gun dealer, a fight in a whore house, the amputation of a foot via shotgun, redneck pimps, arguments caused by dirty underwear, prairie dogs being sucked out of their holes by a glorified vacuum cleaner and a really good steak ranchero.

Yep. It’s another Joe Lansdale novel.

Hap’s girlfriend Brett is contacted by a couple of murderous pimps from Oklahoma who claim that her daughter, a prostitute, is in trou
Richard
*3.5 Stars*
After a twister blew away his house, Hap is living on Leonard's couch, working as a bouncer, thinking about moving in with his girlfriend Brett, and balls-deep in his mid-life crisis. But when Brett asks for help rescuing her estranged daughter who's turned to whoring and seems to be in danger with the wrong crowd, Hap puts on his white knight helmet, and the three head to the town of Hootie Hoot, Oklahoma, and equally dangerous Mexican border towns to track her down.
“Size and stren
Bark
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
Hap and Leonard, the two unlikeliest pair of best buds I’ve ever met in fiction, are back for another violent adventure filled with unexpected twists, lots of blood and gushy gore and enough offensive jokes to offend just about everyone. But that’s why we love ‘em.

Hap’s contemplating getting serious with his girl Brett but is living with Leonard and getting on his last nerve. But before the two can hurt each other, a midget named Red shows up and informs them he was the former pimp of Brett’s gr
Steve
I didn't like this one as much, and I think I know why: the dynamic of the "standard Hap & Leonard" plot found in the previous books was changed in this one. Here, instead of trouble finding them, they go looking for it. While this was still an entertaining read, and typically humorous and very well-written, there was an underlying ferocity here, especially with Hap, to the point that he was nearly out of character in many parts of the book.

Okay, on to the next one!
Pearce Hansen
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're already a fan of Joe Lansdale's work, or of his series about Hap & Leonard, buy this book. It has most of the elements I first fell in love with about Mr. Lansdale's writing: garish larger-than-life characters and scenes that could take place on the floor of hell, a countrified turn of phrase dripping raw acid, and a viciously sarcastic wit like Ambrose Bierce and Mark Twain's bastard love child overdosed on serious bad drugs. "Rumble Tumble" has those in spades.

If you're looking t
Marvin
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This fifth installment of the Hap and Leonard novels is as rude, crude, and funny as the others. As Lansdale explores the seamier side of America, notably East Texas with a detour to Oklahoma, his new topics include white slavery, Mexican motorcycle gangs, and midget abuse....LOTS of midget abuse. A problem tends to creep into this series. You start wondering how many more deadly situations, dark forbidding topics and unfunny subjects can the author continue to make funny. Yet, all the darkness ...more
Nate
While still enjoyable, I didn't like this Hap and Leonard story as much as the others I've read. The violence started to feel like too much, and the fact of our boys seeking it out and being on the offensive the entire novel wasn't to my liking. Not to mention the finale felt a little too convenient. I already started Captain Outrageous without really meaning too, and I'm glad to see the return to previous Hap and Leonard style.
Scott Firestone
Another good adventure involving our favorite odd couple. This time they're trying to help Hap's girlfriend's daughter escape from a rough brothel south of the border. Lots of blood. Lots of kooky characters. Solid writing.
Sarah Jamison
Leonard needed a pet armadillo named Bob. Hap needed one more thing to brood about, just don't make it Steak Ranchero. And with that, our intrepid heroes complete one more mission, making and breaking a few vows along the way, killing some and saving others.

Bret goes from main squeeze into near family territory as Hap first, then Leonard, agree to help her get her daughter out of prostitution in the Tulsa area. Fomenting this adventure are Wilbur, a big dumb heavy, and Red, a midget (his prefer
Larou
Hap and Leonard, the heroes of Lansdale’s eponymous series are definitely among the oddest crusading couples to ever grace the pages of crime fiction. They are quite unlike each other in most things (a white former peace activist vs. a black homosexual Vietnam veteran), but share a long friendship and a deep-seated urge to do the right thing, not to mention lots of funny and colourful banter which makes for a large part of the fun in reading those novels (nobody since the days of screwball comed ...more
Alex Sarll
"I felt sick and sorry and sad. My father and mother hadn't raised me to beat up midgets with pistols, nor to stand by and allow it to happen." The writing here doesn't do quite the fascinating things with language that Lansdale managed throughout the story in Dangerous Women that first made me take notice of him, but it's still full of sentences you can't ignore. For all the hookers and shotgun blasts and dirty underwear, I find myself oddly reminded of Wodehouse; this crazy slice of Texas and ...more
Randy
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hap and Leonard help Brett go after her daughter, Tillie, a prostitute, when they are visited by a midget named Red and a giant named Wilbur. They'd stopped coming from Tulsa to deliver a message from Tillie that she needed help. They also wanted five hundred to finance their fllight into Mexico. They were on the run from the Tulsa mob as well.

Hap, Leonard, and Brett go to Tulsa armed to the teeth, find the brothel, and when Hap slips inside to find Tillie ahead of the others, Red and Wilbur are
Mark
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is there a more perfect book than a Hap & Leonard to start off a lazy Christmas break? RUMBLE TUMBLE finds the boys neck-deep in all kinds of crazy trouble, from Hootie Hoot Oklahoma to West Texas to a nasty part of Mexico, as they go off in search of the abducted daughter of Hap's girlfriend. This installment, the fifth. seemed to me a little less funny and a little more nasty than earlier ones in the series, but it was still a fun and easy read. I will continue in the series, but for now M ...more
Karl
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: subterranean-own
The fifth adventure of the dysfunctional duo Hap Collins and Leonard Pine is a raucous roadtrip with a bombed out prostitute, a worried mother, and a dwarf named Red. The Subterranean Press edition of Rumble Tumble was bound in full cloth, with a bound-in satin ribbon page marker, and autograph page art by Mark A. Nelson. It preceded the Mysterious Press edition by two months, with a text that varied slightly from that of the trade.

Dustjacket art and design by Gail Cross.

This is copy 118 of 400
Noah Soudrette
Rumble tumble, the fifth book in Lansdale's Hap and Leonard series is a bit of a tough pill to swallow at times. This is easily the darkest of the novels yet and Hap and Leonard are disturbingly at ease when it comes to killing at this point in their lives. While on one hand, it makes sense considering what they've been through, on the other hand, it's disconcerting, but I suppose that's the point. The plot here is the most straightforward of the series as well, and while it doesn't live up to t ...more
Paul
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Joe R. Lansdale
"Man, this was something. An East Texas bouncer, a black queer, a ex-sweet potato queen, a six-foot-four overweight retired hit man & former reverend & a redheaded midget with an attitude. The only thing we needed to top it off were a couple of used-car salesmen, a monkey & an organ grinder."

Another amusing episode in the "Hap & Leonard" series. Nothing new here, but enjoyable nevertheless.
3 1/2 stars.
Hans
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another awesome Hap and Leonard book! this one reminded me of Sam Peckinpah's THE WILD BUNCH, when William Holden says the line "Lets go" for the last time and he heads out with Ernest Borgnine, Warrren Oates and Ben Johnson to wipe out an entire mexican army with certain death as the only outcome. yeah, it was like that. Lansdale pulls it off.....again
Patrick Gibson
This feels a little like a toss-off and not quite as good as the first few books. Still fun and enjoyable. And continues where the last one left off. Short. Can be read in a few hours. Worth it. Enjoy.
Joanne Parkington
Muff's, midget's, murder, mayhem & machine gun's .... what's not to like !! Joe R Lansdale just get's better & better ... an excellent read.
Trin
This series' version of curtain!fic: Hap and Leonard move back in together and adopt an armadillo.
Taksya
Gli ingredienti ci sono tutti, ma l'impasto forse necessitava di una seconda passata nel forno.
Hap e Leonard sono sempre loro, ma lo spirito lagnoso e scoraggiato di Hap dopo un po' ti fa venir voglia di prenderlo a sberle.
Brett è fin troppo presente, lasciandomi l'impressione di aver relegato Leonard al ruolo di terzo incomodo, ma senza avere la presenza scenica per sostituirlo.
La storia sembra una sorta di check list. Finisce quando hai spuntato l'ultima casella, ma sembra quasi tirata via, co
Luca Trovati
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi piacerebbe anche solo provare a vivere un giorno come Hap e Leonard.
Brett, la rossa focosa con la passione per la benzina, chiede al duo di recuperare la figlia, che per la cronaca è una puttana strafatta e ha dei papponi che non invitereste al battesimo dei vostri nipotini.
Pronti via quindi, nuova avventura del duo più cazzuto e divertente della penna di un immortale Lansdale, che riesce a rendere un salvataggio quantomeno improbabile in qualcosa di epico.
Se poi ci aggiungete anche un nan
Clark Hallman
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller, 2017
Hap Collins and Leonard Pine are rough and tough good old boys from LaBorde (East Texas), who don’t except abuse from anyone without returning plenty of it to the abusers. In this novel, Brett Sawyer (Hap’s girlfriend) informs Hap that her adult daughter, Tillie, has been kidnapped and forced to live and work in a brothel by some ruthless pimps. Both Hap and Leonard decide they must do whatever is necessary to rescue Tillie. Of course, the first thing they do is go shopping for weapons and plent ...more
Freda Witt
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hap's girlfriend has a daughter who is a prostitute. She gets a message to her mother that she wants to get out of the business, but they won't allow her to go. Of course Hap agrees to help her, and where Hap goes, Leonard goes. They go through a lot to her her out, and when they finally do, she moves in with her mother, who is hoping she will start a new life. They find out that she is still a "working girl". Hap, who was ready to move in with Brett, but things are cooling down.
Susan
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good adventure, quirky characters. This is the first I've read in this series so don't know if the language is typical, I'm assuming it is, but this is not written for the faint of heart in the verbiage department. No body part or bodily function is spared.
The two friends set out to free a girlfriend's daughter from a life of prostitution which involves flying to Mexico in a decrepit plane with an inebriated pilot. Perhaps best described as the misadventures of these two fellows.
Edward III
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rumble Tumble is mucho fun. Hap and Leonard are such enjoyable characters. Highlight of this book for me was when Leonard dressed down Hap for his “domestic habits.” Funny stuff. Hap is living with Leonard still because his house got blown away by a storm in Bad Chili. Something tells me the Rumble Tumble storyline isn’t truly over, and the boys actions in this one will come back to bite them in a future book. Lansdale’s writing is loose and fun, as always, even when he’s taking on difficult top ...more
Alex Rogers
I quite enjoyed the first one of these that I read - formulaic but fun, and there are a few authors I've enjoyed over the years who write this sort of thing - they can be perfectly enjoyable, low-effort reads for when you just want to zone out. But half way in to this I found myself thinking I'd prefer to watch Netflix. This may say more about me that Lansdale - I can certainly say I'm less interested in low-fibre books than I used to be.
Bill
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just finished my 5th Hap and Leonard novel, I would opine that one will either love the characters and their series, or not so much. I am in the love column. Nasty, profane, politically incorrect, violent.......all of these adjectives work. But the yarns that H and L populate, the East Texas characters that they "meet", the black humor....it always has me come back for more.
Alessandro Pontorno
Per quanto la serie di Hap & Leonard sia diventata negli anni uno dei miei cult, in questo episodio ho trovato un po' meno idee narrative rispetto ai capitoli precedenti. Nulla da dire sulla caratterizzazione del personaggi e sui dialoghi scoppiettanti, ma, a dispetto della citazione del Sig. D'Orrico in copertina, Rumble Tumble è ben lungi dall'essere il romanzo perfetto.
  • Branchie
  • The Lost Sailors
  • Happy Birthday, Jack Nicholson
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • A View from the Bridge / All My Sons
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • The Prone Gunman
  • Attenti al gorilla
  • Tutti i racconti: 1923-1926
  • 54
  • La lunga estate calda del commissario Charitos (Kostas Charitos, #4)
  • ترابها زعفران
  • Bordersnakes
  • The Jolly Corner
Champion Mojo Storyteller Joe R. Lansdale is the author of over forty novels and numerous short stories. His work has appeared in national anthologies, magazines, and collections, as well as numerous foreign publications. He has written for comics, television, film, newspapers, and Internet sites. His work has been collected in more than two dozen short-story collections, and he has edited or co-e ...more
More about Joe R. Lansdale...

Hap and Leonard (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Savage Season (Hap and Leonard, #1)
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2)
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • Bad Chili
  • Captains Outrageous (Hap and Leonard, #6)
  • Vanilla Ride (Hap and Leonard, #7)
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Hyenas (Hap and Leonard, #9)
  • Dead Aim (Hap and Leonard, #10)
  • Honky Tonk Samurai (Hap and Leonard, #11)
“It's one thing to wave at the Devil from afar, quite another to shake the bastard's hand.” 2 likes
“Size and strength didn't intimidate Herman. As he told me later, no matter how big they grow, balls and eyes stay soft and a tire tool has no friends.” 2 likes