Start by marking “Vaadin 7 Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Vaadin 7 Cookbook

Vaadin 7 Cookbook

Published April 19th 2013 by Packt Publishing (first published March 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Vaadin 7 Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vaadin 7 Cookbook

Jorge Mota
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am surprised with this book. There are just a lot of examples of my application needs. And a lot of real app's example code. If you are planing to use vaadin 7 you must buy it. If you want to give a try to vaadin 7 you must buy it too.
Hrvoje Varga
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Vaadin application developers
First of all, I do not agree that this is the beginners book. The very first thing that you MUST read, if you want to learn and use Vaadin, is "Book of Vaadin". After you have finished reading the book than, and only then, you SHOULD continue with this book, the "Vaadin 7 Cookbook".

With that out of the way I can tell you that the "Vaadin 7 Cookbook" is a real gem. In one sentence, the authors tell you that "The Vaadin 7 Cookbook contains many practical recipes that we have gathered during the
dev
Aleš Gewinner
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a programmer in a small company which needs fast and effective solutions for rapid application development. That is why our decision was made a year ago to use this great Vaadin framework as a main frontend platform. There is also very strong community working and supporting Vaadin project http://vaadin.com, many plugins satysfying almost every need we have, clear java and so on. That is why Vaadin is the clear choice.

There is another great book Lerning Vaadin http://goo.gl/Tdw32 from Nicol
Roman Voloshyn
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would like to start my review for "Vaadin 7 Cookbook" book by telling that it is organized in a good way (the reader can simply find and understand any info he is looking for): it introduces Vaadin via numerous and varied examples.
This code-heavy book is roughly similar to a "recipes" with individual item covered featuring subsections on the problem to be solved, the solution(s) to that problem, and how those solutions work. Like the best recipes-oriented or cookbook-oriented software develop
Bill Xu
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a Java & J2EE developer for many years, I came across with Vaadin in 2009 and tried all the versions from 5, 6 to now 7 and like this product. Vaadin is a great Framework and most important thing is the learning curve is pretty friendly to new users (especially those Swing developers) since the Vaadin's website always have a comprehensive and updated "Vaadin Book" to explain almost everything to developers. But it is not easy to make a complicated application since the book itself didn't ...more
Alessandro Palumbo
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Usually I don't like the "Receipes *" books as usually they are only an aggregate of unrelated pieces of codes, but at this time I had the opportunity to have a copy that great book and I was impressed by it.
It starts quite from the beginning and it drives you until the more advanced topics on vaadin. The book is really well written and organized and the most important thing is that the receipts are really clear and easy to undestand, ready to be kept in production code.
The 2 authors really kn
Yong Tang
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, this book is very helpful for understanding vaadin 7 by many useful samples.

Right reading way should combines code samples with content of this book. My feeling is that if I only see "book of vaadin 7" from official site, maybe this is not well enough for me to master the development of vaadin 7.

Secondly, this book's real value is that it introduces vaadin 7 from some real world's scenes. However, it shields complex business logic for us, instead, it abstracts some important things wh
Bobby Bissett
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've written a larger review here: http://bbissett.blogspot.com/2013/05/...

Summary, though, copied from the above:

Overall, this is a great book of examples that cover a lot of common and not-so-common tasks in writing a Vaadin application. For the Vaadin newcomer, this book illustrates the power of the Vaadin framework very quickly. Reading it reminded me of how I felt when I first learned about Vaadin a thousand years ago. For the veteran developer, there will be things you haven't tried yet, e
Marius
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for both beginners and more experienced Vaadin users. The book covers wide variety of topics from basics to more advanced topics. The book would be very useful for beginners as it starts with Vaadin basics and the complexity of the topics is increasing with every chapter. There are plenty of examples which are easy to follow. The book would be also handy for developers switching from Vaadin 6 to Vaadin 7. Even experienced Vaadin developers will find new and interesting ...more
Lorenzo Giustiniani
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's really a great book for who wants start to understand something about vaadin but for the expert too. You can read step by step how create a custom componet, how connect a Vaadin UI with spring, how create rpc call and soo also.
In this year i've done the vaadin advanced cource, with the team of vaadin, and the most part of the course is inside the book.
So, for every people who want know Vaadin, this is the right choice.

Chris Gerrist
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This a very good book for getting up to speed with Vaadin 7. All the basics are covered. Enough to make professional Vaadin web applications. As icing on the cake was the explanation about Spring and Vaadin. Very clear and helpfull.

Chris
Carlos Gonçalves
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a good intermediate book about Vaadin. It covers several enhancements available in version 7 with recipes and tested source code. I am already using some of those ideas in my projects.
Julius Busch
Oct 24, 2013
Andrew Newton
Dec 02, 2014
Jaroslav Holan
Jun 21, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: favorite