Start by marking “Rational Choice in an Uncertain World: The Psychology of Judgement and Decision Making” as Want to Read:

In Rational Choice in an Uncertain World, renowned authors Hastie and Dawes compare the basic principles of rationality with actual behavior in making decisions. They describe theories and research finding from the field of judgement and decision making in a non-technical manner, using anecdotes as a teaching device. Intended as an introductory textbook for advanced underg ...more
Published April 13th 2001 by Sage Publications, Inc (first published April 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Rational Choice in an Uncertain World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rational Choice in an Uncertain World

David
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone willing to work at thinking
Great book. Recommended by a smart friend ;-)

This book delves into how we make choices (duh). It does it from a clinical psychology point-of-view. But done right. Her statistics (both in theory and in practice) are what one would wish everyone in clinical work would use. When she drops into conjecture, she points it out herself.

Valuable ideas from the book:

1) what makes a good, rational choice
- specifically, I liked how a rational choice is one that looks at all the options at hand and then mak
Doc Opp
May 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
A good overview and introduction to the psychology of judgment and decision making. Second only to Scott Plous's book on the same topic and considerably more accurate than any of Malcolm Gladwell's recent texts on the topic.
Arjun
Feb 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My advisor's book. So basically my Bible.
Phil
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book describing how humans think and how we can make more rational decisions. It's pretty accessible if you have a decent math/statistics background, while still being theoretical (which I like.) However, it's not too theoretical like other decision making theory texts. Even though the author does make opinionated claims, the author always states that it's their opinion, and also provides counterpoints.
Steven
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'd really rather cognitive psychologists trashed the anti-Logos propaganda they've been poisoned with.

"Linda is a bank teller and a feminist."
"Ok"
"What is she?"
"A bank teller and a feminist"
"lolololololol muh flawed mind! See! People can't reason!"
Nicholas
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbook
This book was actually one of the best I have ever read for a class in my undergraduate, masters, and doctoral studies. (And it was for a managerial accounting class!) I would give it five stars, but I thought it got a bit slow towards the end. It definitely helped me understand how my own thought processes are flawed and how to make better decisions and judgments. As my exam is tomorrow, I thought I would write a review today to help summarize some of my thoughts about why it was so interesting ...more
Bria
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anything unfortunate enough to have a human mind
Ok everyone read this book, at least if you're not already inundated with this same information from all sides. Even if you are, every repetition drives it in further, and this one especially is good for wiggling it into your stupid human brain by putting it in terms your stupid human brain can process good.
I rather enjoy Dawes' opinions and (one might call them) rants throughout the book. That said, here's some nitpicking. He has this bit at the end about how certain knowledge precludes ethics.
Kelly
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This seems like a very thorough and accessible introduction to the subject. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of it that wasn't simply review for me, but even what was review was presented very well. I disagree with some of the stances the authors' seem to take (though subtly) on particular theories within the field. Otherwise, though, I quite enjoyed it. I'm not willing to give it five stars, though, because it's the first intro book in the field that I've read cover-to-cover, so since I ...more
André Heijstek
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management, quality
Excellent book to get insight into decision making. Gives a scary picture about how not rational we typically make decisions.
Gives some good suggestions about formal processes to structure decisions.
Nice connection to DAR in CMMI
Bethnadine
Not bad, but very philosophical.
I had a hard time getting through chapters and understanding the point the author was trying to make.
George Jefferson
  • Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases
  • Advances in Behavioral Economics
  • Why Choose This Book?: How We Make Decisions
  • Judgment in Managerial Decision Making
  • Descartes' Baby: How the Science of Child Development Explains What Makes Us Human
  • Probability Theory: The Logic of Science
  • Food: Your Miracle Medicine
  • Struck by Lightning: The Curious World of Probabilities
  • Cognitive Science: An Introduction to the Science of the Mind
  • Why Everyone (Else) Is a Hypocrite: Evolution and the Modular Mind
  • Risk: A Very Short Introduction
  • Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance
  • Forty Studies That Changed Psychology: Explorations Into the History of Psychological Research