Start by marking “The Exception to the Rule” as Want to Read:
The Exception to the Rule

The Exception to the Rule

Published December 19th 2012 by B. Rinyu

To ask other readers questions about The Exception to the Rule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exception to the Rule

Start your review of The Exception to the Rule
JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko
5++++++++++++++++++++++ Stars.

What an emotional journey. This book was just wow! I couldn't put it down. This book was quite different than anything I have read. The twists in it were unexpected and made it that much more different. It is a heartbreaking but beautiful story. I can't even begin to say how amazing this book was. I stayed up to the wee hours because I just couldn't put it down. It is a must read.
Smitten's Book Blog

Another unexpected treasure. I was asked to review this book by the author and I skimmed the blurb, checked the genre and agreed. I'm so glad I did.

"There's always someone or something that will make you feel so strongly that you will go against everything you are ever taught or planned."

This book was completely addictive. It was a rollercoaster of intense emotions. If you aren't one for cathartic release, don't read this book. But I can tell you it is totally worth the tears.

"You
The BookChick
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
My Rating: ❤❤❤❤❤
EXCELLENT: The characteristics of a 5 star story include: an awesome story; and, I love everything about the story — characters, plot, and story elements. I would definitely read it again and I would highly recommend to a friend and rave about it often.
Book Description:
Paula

“You were the the exception to the rule. You were the one person who made me rethink everything I ever believed in and I’m so happy that you did.”

Katrina “Kat” Vallia is a young, optimistic pediatrician, who volunteers to help sick children in Africa after catching her boyfriend cheating on her. She not only hopes to be able to do some good for these children, but she hopes by getting away, she can move on from having her heart broken.

While in Africa, she meets Dr. Julian Kiron, a sexy, car
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
*****5 Stellar Stars*****

I generously received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I can NEVER go wrong with Ms Rinyu's books. Truthfully though, I can't believe I missed this book by her. I had no idea it was released back in 2012 or I would have given it a go, but otherwise, I'm so happy that I had a chance to read it now.

Now this book, no doubt, was a bucket fill of emotions. There were times that I wanted to cry with the protagonist, Kat, and other times I w
Giorgia ~ Reads

better than I expected it to be
Patty Bowling
This book was just Ok. The plot had potential, and the concept was good, but it was poorly executed. Here are the big issues with this story:

First, the writing was just rather dull, stilted, ordinary. A lot of unnecessary detail and description that didn't really move the story along.

Second, everyone in Kat's life seemed to get cancer. The theme was way overdone, and therefore lost its impact. The writer must have an oncologist in her family.

Third, everyone in the book seemed to be a doctor. So,
Fatima
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot express how much I loved this book. I totally recommend it.
Jessica's Book Review
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, unlimited
Read more reviews at Jessica’s Book Review
Find Me on Facebook

description

If there is ever a book where I want to lock myself in a room with just my kindle and put the “Do Not Disturb” sign up, it’s for this book! The Exception to the Rule is AMAZING! It is everything I could ever want in a book and then some. I started reading Beth Rinyu’s book An Unplanned Lesson
Chris- Bookaddict
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an copy of this book from Beth in return for an honest review . This is Beth’s first novel that she has put out there in the public’s eye.

Book Blurb:
Aestas Book Blog
May 01, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: now
This was rec'ed to me by a friend so I'm adding it to my list :)

When Katrina “Kat” Vallia, an idealistic if somewhat naive 20-something American pediatrician travels halfway across the globe to volunteer in a poor African village, she looks at it as a means of closure. Following a bitter breakup with her unfaithful boyfriend, she decides to throw herself into her work without any distractions from a man. That’s until she encounters Dr. Julian Kiron, a handsome, career driven pediatric oncologist
Denise Smithson
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW, AMAZING AND AN EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER! This was a great book and I was all over the place with laughing and crying but what a beautiful story!
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ aka Barbara
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lovers of true romance
Recommended to t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ by: Bookie my personal enabler
A beautiful story of lost love, painful events and secrets but also of sweet love and feeling so deep even the years can't dull them.

Description:

*Marsha,Marsha,Marsha* It's always Marsha
4 emotional Stars

I stumbled across this title while perusing the books that others have read through my Home page. I will confess to becoming leery of so many 5 star reviews being passed out for so many books, and after I read that book, I simply am shaking my head. I took a chance on this one, and I do not regret it.
Not for a second.

This novel touches on some real world painful situations: loss of a parent;
devastation of sickness in third world countries and the doctors who do their best in ho
Floe (TheRandomFlo)
One word... Phenomenal.

Absolutely beautiful story of love, lost, secrets, and suffering.

Felt all kinds of emotions whilst reading this book. I just couldn't put it down. Very well recommended to everyone.

Aimee
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure if I should read this one or not. I wasn't sure it was my kind of romance. I read plenty of reviews that said it was a tear jerker and be prepared for the hard stuff. They weren't kidding. Over all, it was an interesting read, but by the time I finished, it felt like something was missing.

This spans quite a few years. From the time that Kat is a baby to a new doctor about ready to leave for Africa for 9 months to 5 years after Africa. For the most part, most of the book is spent on
Brandy
I'm not sure how to rate this book or even if my current 4 star rating is going to remain. There were things I loved about this book, but other things - not so much. I loved the storyline, the characters & the author's ability to make readers feel her character's emotions right along with them. I never cry when I read books, but I totally did with this one... A couple of times, actually. However - this is the part where I'm struggling with my rating - I feel that there was a lot of filler writin ...more
Becky Cox
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you need a good cry then The Exception to the Rule will definitely deliver.

Kat, a young physician, reeling from a bad break up heads out a medical mission for nine months in Africa. She is swearing off men and hoping to recover while there. That is, until she meets Dr. Julian Kiron. He hits all her buttons and she has a hard time staying away from him.

She has to leave near the end of her mission unexpectedly.

Thus the story (and the tears) really start.

Kat harbors a secret that she is forced
Jolynn Gardiner
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I went into this book hoping I would enjoy it because I knew the author was a very nice woman and I really didn't want to be forced to say untrue things just to be nice.

Luckily for me, I absolutely LOVED this book. I started reading it and from page one I did not want to put the book down. The character of Kat immediately attracted me; she was realistic and completely relatable. As she told her story, I felt as if I was hearing the tale being told by a good friend. I felt as much a part of her l
Tracey Nelson
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was in a book slump, so to speak the last little while. Nothing was holding my interest or speaking to me, until I randomly found this book on goodreads. I devoured it in a night because I was so invested in these characters and this story that I had to know what was going to happen. My heart broke so many times with the struggles that they faced. This wasn't an easy, light read. It dealt with emotional topics and things that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. However it all wraps up in a way that m ...more
Chippy414
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It had held my interest from start to finish. I found myself getting very emotional during some points of reading it. The story was expressed in a way that made you sympathize with the characters and feel like you were part of the book. I would highly recommend reading this book if you love romance novels or just touching books about life in general.
Randi Edwards
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!! I just started this book at 8pm and I could not put it down. I have sat here and read this amazing story in just 4 hours. There where moments when my heart broke for Kat and for Julian too, but oh my what a story worth getting lost in. For all the moments that I cried I had many moments that made me laugh out loud. Wonderful story and I am glad I had a chance to read it. Breath taking.
Geetanjali
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More than a love story it is a life story,a story which reinforces the importance of family,friends and loved ones in life,the belief in second chances in love,and that for every dark night,there's a brighter day.

Beth Rinyu is quickly becoming one of my favourite contemporary romance writers.Her characters are the type of people one would like to be surrounded with in real life.
Roni Guzman
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is by far one of the best books I have read. Please have a box of tissues by your side. I stayed home sick today and now I'm more congested than I was before lol So much crying but such a good story. Completely loved it!!! ...more
Judy
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tear-jerker
Definitely a tear jerker, but NOT one of those that rips your heart out and leaves you an emotional wreck for days. (thank goodness)

This sweet story was an emotional journey of love and loss, in more ways than one!
It's a beautifully written and easy going read with a HEA.
Marcia
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book with an emotional journey that pulled me in from the beginning. Have your tissues ready because you will need them. I am definitely adding this one to my favorites.
Samantha Yeates
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great read (that made me cry!!!)!
Kathy
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
"You were the exception to the rule. You were the one person who made me rethink everything I ever believed in and I'm so happy that you did."

I had no idea just what I was in for when I began reading The Exception to the Rule, but I admit I didn't want this book to end. From the first page until the last, I was completely immersed into Kat's world ... her ups and her downs. There is so much heart-felt emotion contained in this book and once my tears started falling, they just kept coming. This i
Brandy Roberts
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The exception to the rule really draws you in and grips you till very end , so be prepared for a ride on the emotional roller coaster . This is very beautiful but also heartbreaking was close to tears at some parts , was very shocked and surprised witch I really loved love the unexpected . This would be my first books by Beth Rinyu and I know I'll be reading more from her in the future .
copy provided for honest review
****************************************
hero = 9 heroine = 9 secondary charac
Christyn (The Book Cafe)
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review originally posted on The Book Cafe

A copy of this book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review

This novel is from a new author Beth Rinyu and if this her early work, I cannot wait to see (and read!) what she creates going forward. This book was, at it's heart, a love story. Yes it had lots of swoon-worthy romance, but when I say love I mean love from all angles. Love for family, love for friends, even love for essential strangers.

The book starts off with the
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New Cover 2 17 Jul 03, 2017 01:19PM
Goodreads Librari...: Kindle Edition 7 47 Feb 20, 2013 04:39PM
Free on Amazon today 1 17 Feb 14, 2013 03:40AM

• When the Night is Over (Blackbird, #1)
  • Traded: Brody and Kara (Cliffside Bay, #1)
  • Dark Heart (Dark Heart Duet, #1)
  • Lexi, Baby (This Can't Be Happening, #1)
  • Until Lilly (Until, #3)
  • To Have and to Hoax
  • Always With Me (Whisper Lake #1)
  • Full Circle
  • Take This Regret (Regret, #1)
  • Bitter Heat (Singed, #1)
  • The Story of Us (Carnage, #1)
  • The Darkest Temptation (Made, #3)
  • Breakout (San Francisco Strikers, #1)
  • My Darling Arrow (St. Mary’s Rebels, #1)
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • I Sold Myself To The Devil For Vinyls... Pitiful I Know
  • The Ground Rules (The Rule Breakers, #1)
  • Frosted
Ever since I can remember, I have always enjoyed Creative Writing. There was always something about being able to travel to a different place or become a different person with just the stroke of a pen - or in today's world a touch of the keyboard. I love creating deep characters who you will love or love to hate.

My life is not as interesting as my books or the characters in them, but then again w

News & Interviews

“There’s always someone or something that will make you feel so strongly that you will go against everything you are ever taught or planned.” 17 likes
“You will know the one, and once you find him nobody will ever be able to replace him.” 10 likes