Start by marking “A Single Thread” as Want to Read:
A Single Thread

A Single Thread (Cobbled Court Quilts #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  4,898 Ratings  ·  694 Reviews
Marie Bostwick weaves the unforgettable story of four very different women whose paths cross, changing their lives forever. . .

It's a long way from Fort Worth, Texas, to New Bern, Connecticut, yet it only takes a day in the charming Yankee town to make Evelyn Dixon realize she's found her new home. The abrupt end of her marriage was Evelyn's wake-up call to get busy chasin
Published May 29th 2012 by Kensington (first published November 1st 2008)

GoldenjoyBazyll
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jennifer/ Barbara
Shelves: favorites, fiction
"I always tell students that quilts are made up of straight lines, but that isn't true. Quilts are made of broken lines, just like life. Over and over again, we try and walk a straight path but run into dead ends, sharp corners and uneven ground that cuts us off and forces us to change direction. Sometimes it's painful, other times joyful. But it isn't until you take a moment to stand still, step off the line, and back away that you finally see the truth. Those unexpected turns and startling abo ...more
Jackie
Aug 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read a few other reviews, I'll just chip in my "two cents worth". I enjoyed this book. I agree that it isn't full of anything really new. But: I did not feel manipulated. I enjoyed the characters. I mostly liked the dialogue. And I just plain enjoyed the reading of this book.

One particular thing that jumped out at me: the absence of the foul language that so permeates books today. It is possible to write something that most people enjoy without resorting to such unpleasantness, this book
Katrina Burchett
Newly divorced Evelyn Dixon needed a change. She drove from Forth Worth, TX to the town of New Bern, CT, happened upon an old run down shop for rent and realized that she’d found a new home; a place to make her dream of owning a quilt shop a reality. She loved quilting and she was determined to make this new business work even though people told her it wouldn’t last.
Abigail Burgess Wynne, the wealthiest woman in New Bern, had many acquaintances but her attorney, Franklin, was her only friend. He
Kathleen
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another book about strong women, struggling women, rallying women, blah blah blah. And guess what! Happy endings for everyone - all neatly tied up in a bow. Everyone falls in love, resolves their issues, gets healthy and lives happily ever after helping the less fortunate and kicking the bad guy to the curb. Reminded me way to much of Blossom Street, which was worse in terms of prose, but very parallel in storyline.
This one was very predicable, characters luke warm in the likeable department
Kathryn
I enjoyed this story of friendship and quilting. It does have a serious health issue that is linked to a couple of the characters which was moving. The story of how they all come together in support makes for good reading and the end result will take us on to more books.
Cathy Daniel
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Omg BEST BOOK EVER! I loved these characters and am literally mourning the fact they aren't real lol. I cried, laughed, got mad and squealed over it! I'm so happy this is the first of 6? Books in this series! MUST READ FOR ALL
Bonnie
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gentle, wonderful story about the miracles of friendship and is testament to the saying that "when one door closes, another one opens". This happens for Evelyn, the main character in A Single Thread. Evelyn's husband of close to thirty years surprises her one day with the announcement that he wants a divorce. This changes the course of Evelyn's future and she ends up moving from Texas to a small town in Connecticut. Evelyn has always had a dream to open a quilt shop and she is able to ...more
Gloria Bernal
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first contemporary novel Marie has written. Her previous novels were historical fiction based around wartime which I personally found myself enthralled in. She is one of the most gifted writer I have come across in recent years.

This one is written well and features a group of women who come together through quilting, not an original concept as there are countless others but Marie pulled
these women together well. Each quilter has her own story and cross to bear, also not unique but I
Sherri Thacker
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I loved it! Can't wait to real all the other books by this author.
Anna
Evelyn has recently divorced and is unsure of her future. A spur of the moment decision leads Evelyn to New Bern intending to enjoy the fall colors and have time alone to contemplate her life. There she discovers an old shop, long abandoned, that she envisions as the quilt shop she has often dreamed of opening.
Abigail is the town benefactor, well liked, but holds people at a distance. When circumstances force her to take in her long estranged niece, Liza, she and Liza conflict from the start. L
Kelly Roll
I normally dislike the type of books wherein everyone rallys around a person in need and that person in need soldiers bravely on.
I also found the writig in the book a little akward and the ending predictible.
However, having said that this book also drew me in in spite of my dislikes. There was something appealing about Abigal Burgess and the relationship with her niece as well as the depections of individuals coming together as a community.
Brenda
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I really enjoyed this book. It was a well-written, heartwarming story about some strangers with different backgrounds that become good friends after meeting at a breast cancer fundraiser (Quilt Pink) held in the shop of one of the women. The chapters are told in first person from the perspective of the different women which you would think would bug me, but it didn't. :-) Maybe it was because I could see part of myself in most of the characters.
Jeanne Adamek
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful...
Vickie
I enjoyed A Single Thread by Marie Bostwick. It was a cute story friendship, quilting, and family. Bostwick does tackle a serious health issue and does so in a graceful but honest manner. I liked learning more about quilting: I have neither the vision nor the talent to attempt any craft of this manner. I also liked the small inclusion of Mary Dell Templeton from a previous Bostwick book. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.

Go Cards! L1C4!!
JayeL
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, 2013, second-reading
Vivian
Mar 19, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to start this one, it got such great reviews from critics and readers alike. Evelyn Dixon has always dreamed about opening up a quilt shop. After her divorce, she relocates from Texas to New Bern, Conn. and after dealing with several issues connected to the old building she purchased for her shop and apartment, Evelyn's doors finally open. Here she forms friendships with several women with stories of their own.

I wish that I could say that I loved this book, but I couldn't even fi
Audrey
May 23, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is some of the wort female-driven crap I've ever read. It's filled with insipidly bad dialogue, gag-worthy contrived plotlines, and eye-rollingly predictable characters. She tries to put together this clunky piece of garbage by using cheap manipulative female drama elements, like death, divorce, adultery, quilting (by far the worst metaphor I've ever seen used in a book) and breast cancer. One gets the impression she stole all the material off of some Lifetime: Television for Women movie fr ...more
Marsha
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The characters of this book are so well developed. You can almost see the people as they walk through the cobblestone streets of New Bern, CT. After reading this tome, I better understood the specific challenges of fighting breast cancer. I'm looking forward to Bostwick's next novel coming out May 2009.
 Barb Bailey
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were very well developed. When I finished the book I wished I could take a short trip to New Bern CT and visit the Cobbled Quilt shop and meet these friends and take a class ! This book is about so many things, changes in our lives, hope, endurance , encouragement and the importance of friendship. I will be reading more from this author.
Ret Yeager
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a fast paced thriller, this is not the book for you. The author does a great job of character development and interaction. Quilting plays a part in this story but the way the most unlikely of people become friends is the crux of the plot. Great examples of "walk a mile in my shoes before you judge me".
Violet
Feb 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this. It started out slow, but about midway through it got really compelling. It does have some of the traits I generally dislike in women's fiction (some predictable plot lines, although there were some nice twists in this one, and all-to-convenient solutions. Where in real life can I find a rich fairy godmother?) but overall, it was very entertaining and heartwarming.
Michele
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cling to your friends and be a friend to others. The need for friendship is the single thread that we all have running through us."
Casey G
3.5 stars. This was a cute, predictable, quick read that was chosen for my church book club. The characters were endearing in this simple plot that focuses on the value of friendship among women. I never would have picked up this book if not for the Good Shepard book club, and I am not sure I would recommend it to friends, but it kept me entertained for a couple weeks :)
Charmaine
This novel was a very nice reprieve from some of the heavy WWII/Nazi Germany novels I have tried to read recently. It was refreshing to read about kindhearted people who were willing to encourage and help each other out during times of need. The characters are all interesting and well-developed. The plot deals with some serious life issues - but the author treats them with respect and seems to be quite aware and knowledgeable of how these difficult things affect a person and his/her relationship ...more
Ronna
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how I've managed to miss Marie Bostwick's books!!  Now that I've read the first book in her quilt shop series, I've become a huge fan.  The power of community, friendship, and courage is superbly exemplified in this story about Evelyn and her newfound life and friendships.

After a painful divorce, Evelyn left Texas and moved to Connecticut , where she gave all her funds and energy to try living her dream life.  Having her own quilt shop has been a dream she put on hold after becomi
Trish
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the first chapter our heroine Evelyn describes an early childhood encounter with shelves and shelves of towels in graduated colors, colors merging almost imperceptibly into one another, though the color wheel. Right away I was listening. This is a book about women’s community formed around the craft of quilting. Several of the women were actually resistant to this notion in the beginning, which further endeared me to the author.

Things weren’t going especially well for Evelyn, who had recently
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
I picked up A Single Thread because it looked a lot like The Dress by Sophie Nicholls, minus the magic. I really enjoyed The Dress, so I figured I'd go a head and give this book a try.

It was...different than I'd expected. The main plot focuses on Evelyn's fight against breast cancer, and how she overcomes her struggles with help from her newfound friends, quilting, and just a bit of luck. Of course, that's only the main plot - there are several side plots that help keep the story interesting thr
Dale Harcombe
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a charming, easy to read book which I greatly enjoyed. I admit to being a sucker for books about crafts that I have no aptitude for. A Single Thread is one that deals with quilting but so much more than that. It is about friendship, love, loss, the challenges of life and second chances.
After the demise of her marriage, Evelyn Dixon moves to the town of New Bern where she opens a quilt shop. There she meets Abigail, a wealthy well connected person in town, her niece Liza and Margot curre
Lindsey
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this book was a beautiful story of a woman's struggle with diagnosis, treatment and dealing with breast cancer. I thought that part of the story was well done.

Other than that, it's not one of my favourite books. I felt some of the characters to be a bit contrived and some of the situations a bit too convenient. The romantic pairing up of everyone at the end of the story is a little over the top, and some of the christian references a little too cheesy.

The story is narrated by 2 wo
Ruth
Nov 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evelyn and her husband were the owners of a 3000 sq. ft. house in Texas. When they renovated their kitchen, her husband told her that they were going to put in the granite countertops because they were going to live in that house for the rest of their lives and he wanted to have something that would last. Little did she know that a few months after that he would stand in that kitchen and tell her that after 25 years he wanted a divorce. The countertops lasted, the marriage didn't. Evelyn's only ...more
  • The Lost Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #14)
  • The Lover's Knot (Someday Quilts Mystery, #1)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)
Marie Bostwick is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of uplifting historical and contemporary fiction. She lives in the state of Oregon and travels fequently to sign books, speak to reading groups, and meet her readers.
More about Marie Bostwick

Cobbled Court Quilts (7 books)
  • A Thread of Truth (Cobbled Court Quilts, #2)
  • A Thread So Thin (Cobbled Court Quilts, #3)
  • Threading the Needle (Cobbled Court Quilts, #4)
  • Ties That Bind (Cobbled Court Quilts, #5)
  • Between Heaven and Texas (Cobbled Court Quilts, #6)
  • Apart at the Seams (Cobbled Court Quilts, #7)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prince of Tides
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99