Start by marking “I Can Be an Actress/I Can Be a Computer Engineer (Barbie)” as Want to Read:
I Can Be an Actress/I Can Be a Computer Engineer (Barbie)

I Can Be an Actress/I Can Be a Computer Engineer (Barbie)

Barbie can be an actress and a computer engineer! Barbie plays a pretty princess in a play—then saves her sister's school computer project. With two great all-new stories and over 50 stickers, girls 3–7 will love this I Can Be deluxe storybook!
Published July 23rd 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about I Can Be an Actress/I Can Be a Computer Engineer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Be an Actress/I Can Be a Computer Engineer

Lisa
Nov 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book made me angry. It is an epic failure in multiple areas. I'm really not sure if I have time to write about all the things that are wrong with it. Here is a brief outline of the problematic messages being sent by this book.

1. Women are not able to do hard things like program and fix computers.

2. It's better to let the men do "male things" like code computer programs and repair computers. Don't bother asking to be taught how to do it, just let someone else do it for you.

3. It's totally o
Peter Derk
Haha, oh man. Barbie? What the hell?

Maybe you heard about this one. The book they're pulling from the shelves because it depicts Barbie as being a computer engineer who is dependent on the help of men.

It's a two-in-one, and the story of Barbie being in actress is ALSO terrible!

In the actress story, Barbie shows up to a play, the lead is sick, and she takes over. It's the Princess and the Pea, and they figure Barbie can handle it with no rehearsal whatsoever.

Now, what's weird, it would appear tha
Ellie
Oct 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1. I only read the Computer Engineer side of this book.

2. Barbie only creates the design ideas for the game she's supposed to be making for class. The gentlemen in her group (Steven and Brian) will be turning it into an actual game. Aka, the boys will be the ones doing the actual programming, Barbie is only good for design ideas.

3. Barbie doesn't know what computer viruses are. Thankfully, Skipper does and tells Barbie what's up. Skipper's brown hair with purple streaks obviously means that she
Crystal Starr Light
I was originally just gonna comment on the phenomenon of this book, but you know, I actually did read this book (thank you internet!), and it's deplorable. Is this what we want to tell girls that computer engineering is? Drawing up pictures of colorful puppies and then crashing two laptops with a virus? Then running to the boys to get help and fix it? And THEN taking credit for fixing her mistakes??!

Computer engineering isn't just doing designs of puppies then passing off the designs to the boys
Bob Simms
Jan 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
In an industry that is fighting to shake it's testosterone stereotype, this is an appalling book for either girls or boys. Barbie laughs when asked to program a game. She can only draw the pictures, she needs 2 men to do the programming. Her laptop contracts a virus, which she promptly passes to her sister's machine. because no woman could possibly be expected to trusted with IT. Fortunately Stephen, who's a boy and therefore able to understand PCs, saves barbie's data and restores her sister's ...more
Sadie Forsythe
Nov 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Insulting, sexist, disempowering nonsense that doesn't even read well.
Rosver
Nov 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Well, my neighbor's young daughter has this book and decide to read it.

And gracious me! A wanna be computer engineer who doesn't seem to know a thing about computers? LOL!

Also she is designing a game not engineering a computer or even tackle any hardware aspect of the computer. They should have called it 'I Can Be a Video Game Designer' instead. Or if she is only doing the drawing and artworks and not designing the game mechanics and game play, then she is a game artist and the book should be ti
Dawn
Nov 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books, 2014
Terrible book! The idea of having Barbie be a computer engineer is great, especially as some of the other books in his series are about cheerleading and acting. However, then the book is actually about how Barbie only designs the program (which is about teaching kids to code) and then CANNOT CODE HERSELF!!! And to make matters worse, the two who do the coding for her and fix her mistakes are both male. In the three other books in this series that I've looked over, Barbie never has any problems i ...more
Kim
Aug 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mini-me, never-again
*sings* We girls can do anything, right Barbie?! *chokes* Yeah, anything except actually code or take precautions to avoid viruses, because, you know, math is hard and girls do design. But that's okay - she can get guys to do the actual coding and repairing for her!

And the fact that this garbage is backed by a story about Barbie being an actress (a famous movie actress, no less - it's not worth taking up a craft if you can't be famous) just makes the stereotyping all the more brutal.

So thankful
David
Nov 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens, computers
I managed to get my hands on a paperback copy of this book -- the infamous Barbie Computer Engineering story that inflamed the ire of the interwebs. As you probably know from others' reviews, Barbie completely relies on boys for all her computer code writing and troubleshooting needs.

Here's the quick summary:
Barbie tells her sister Skipper that she's designing a game. Skipper wants to play it, but Barbie says "I'm only creating the design ideas ... I'll need Steven's and Brian's help to turn it
Selena
Nov 21, 2014 marked it as will-not-read
Recommends it for: People who don't want their daughters doing anything productive in their lives
As a female software engineer, I am both flabbergasted (by the thought that Barbie seems to think designing a game means she's a computer engineer) and insulted (by the fact that Barbie seems to think girls can't code).

There are many problems with this book.

1. Game design is NOT computer engineering.

2. Computer engineering is NOT programming games, or software in general (at least, not according to my college's definition. My college says that computer engineering is the hardware of the computer
Em Shaw
Nov 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
I really enjoyed this book. I learned that as a woman I can't do things by myself and need the help of at least one strong man to assist me in any endeavor I might attempt.

In fact, I don't think I can't finish posting this review without a man's help.

Steven? Brian? Where are you? I'm just a woman and therefore I can't understand basic computer operations.

STEEEEVAN!? BRIIIIIIAN!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oh god...
Stef Rozitis
Nov 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
It should be retitled "I can't do a darn thing without men helping me". What a lame-arsed book
Whitney
Nov 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Yup. Every bit as offensive as all the reviews and articles attested.
Lynda
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
While my preschooler loves the Barbie I Can Be series, the weak stories and stiff dialogue leave Mama unimpressed.
Amy Rae
I was really intrigued when I saw we had a Barbie book about being a computer engineer at work. I think it's an awesome idea, but the execution is lousy.

In this one, Barbie is still learning how to be a computer engineer. Fine with me--the target audience is in school, too, so that might be relatable. However, the plot of the book is that her computer and Skipper's laptop have gotten a virus, and she needs her male friends' help to fix it. I really dislike that Barbie has to rely on two boys fr
Holly Letson
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just read the *I Can Be A Computer Engineer* book over at http://gizmodo.com/barbie-f-cks-it-up.... And, I must say I agree with most of what they say in the article. Barbie books are usually full of her needing a man/prince to save the day.

One more thing, a game designer and a computer engineer are 2 different jobs.

Also, shouldn't someone like Barbie (and her sister{s}!) have some amazing antivirus software on their laptop?!?
Lupine
Dec 18, 2014 added it
Shelves: picture-book
Even worse than I expected - everything you've read is true. It's abysmal. The actress story, which has not gotten any press, was also horrible. I'm not expecting treat lit-rah-turah from Barbie by any means but at the very least I expect that it not promote the idea that girls can't do anything except be pretty. Blech.
Tofazzal Hossain
Chloe
Nov 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
I only read the "computer engineer" side, because that was enough ridiculous misogyny for one sitting. What a horrible book to give to children, with a terrible message.
Eroti Cliterature
Aileen Glendinning
Oct 16, 2016
Stephanie Venable
Jul 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not even a "nice try" for female empowerment here. Just outrage.
Dakeyras