Start by marking “If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!” as Want to Read:
If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!

If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  341 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
If it's snowy and you know it,
roll a snowball up and throw it,
if it's snowy and you know it, clap your paws.

Kim Norman and Liza Woodruff, the team behind the delightful Ten on the Sled, have created another irresistible winter-themed romp. This humorous variation on the classic song “If You're Happy and You Know It” introduces a group of adorable animals playing joyfully
Published October 1st 2013 by Sterling Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!

Vivian
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Our story time crowd loved doing the actions to this variation on a familiar song. Of course our performers SANG the story.
...clap your paws ...taste a flake ...grab your skis ...sculpt a friend (we actually inserted an action song at this point -- "Once There Was a Snowman, snowman, snowman. Once there was a snowman tall, tall, tall. In the sun he melted, melted, melted. In the sun he melted small, small, small." You can listen to the tune here: http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song... Be sure
Kristen
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, christmas
This book is really cute and it's to the tune "If you're happy and you know it". Each verse is super cute and some of them are funny. I thought the author did a really good job of making the text flow while still having each line make sense.

The illustrations were cute. My daughter really enjoyed seeing all the animals do the silly things - like a Moose skiing.

This is a book we will likely pick up during the winter each year.
Alice
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 stars **If this book makes you laugh clap your hands (clap clap) the pictures were really cute and fun so clap your hands (clap clap) I would recommend it to you, and you might just like it too, and this book makes you laugh clap your hands (clap clap)**
I loved the wording and the pictures in this book! Just fun!
Abbey
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fun winter riff on "If You're Happy and You Know It." AJ's giggles are beyond compare and for the grownups, some really moments in which references to ice sculpting, maritime travel and the environment are rhymed in perfectly! A hoot of a book!
Katrina Dombrowsky
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some of the phrases are a little tongue-twistery, and I paperclipped a few pages together to make it a little shorter. But overall, a fun book to read (or sing!) aloud in the wintertime.
Maija
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I think I sang this in the tune of "she"ll be coming round the mountain"...
Erin
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 01-folklore
This was adorable. The rhyming was perfect and the pictures were fun to look at. This truly was a very sweet, fun little book to read.
Anne
Nov 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: winter
A bit long for toddler/preschool storytimes but could be fun for a kindergarten or 1st grade class.
Nancy Kotkin
A celebration of a wintry day, written in whimsical rhyming poems that match the tune of "If you're happy and you know it...". Each double-page spread offers a new stanza. Kids can sing along to the familiar song (as I found myself doing). The animal characters are fun and the story, which depicts a day full of snowy activities, is arced nicely. The illustrations are also amusing and complement the story well. Makes an awesome read-aloud due to the song's rhythm. The experience is sure to leave ...more
Viviane Elbee
Fun spin-off on the "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands," song - only with winter animals engaging in wintery activities.

Illustrations are great. Kids voted to give it 5 stars and wanted to look at all the pictures again.
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Really feel that this must be sung. Very fun/silly drawings of all the animals.
Laurie
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Linda
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ten on the Sled gave us a fun group of Arctic critters and they are back in another vigorous winter romp in the snow. "If You're Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands" is the base for this fun and rhyming text so get ready to sing or chant along with this treasure of wintry-decked animals...a seal, bighorn sheep, caribou, walrus, a hare, and more. They love to play and be silly in the snow. Their winter scarves and caps make the reader feel chilly, but give us warmth as the animals ski or ride ...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Go on an adventure and find out all the fun things you can do in the snow! The book follows the rhythm of the children's song "If You're Happy and You Know It," so the book can be sung to the classic tune. Go skiing, sledding, and drink cocoa with a walrus, caribou, polar bear and other arctic creatures. Recommended for preschool children and families.

Taylor W. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Norman, Kim and Liza Woodruff. If it's Snowy and You Know It, Clap your Paws! New York: Sterling Children's. 2013. Print.
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

Song Books
Winter

Kim Norman has created a very creative book in If It's Snowy and you Know it, Clap Your Paws! Written to the tune of If you are happy and you know it clap your hands, this version has a wintery theme. With such a hard winter for most of the country this is the perfect book to share
Barbara
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Here is a new take on a much loved preschool song. Join in the fun with winter animals in the forest as they slide, skate and ski their way into your hearts while they frolic in the snow. Build an igloo, blow a kiss, share a meal, enjoy snuggle bliss. If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws, by Kim Norman with illustrations by Liza Woodruff, will have kids coming back and asking to read it one more time. The illustrations contain many stories within a story. Pure enjoyment for ages 3+.
Lizzie
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vocab, winter, sing-a-long
Very fun idea, but I am having trouble matching to the way I sing If You're Happy and You Know to this version. The additional line after the If You're Happy and You Know first line is weird to me. I have no idea how to sing it because there is no second line before the chorus in the original.(Is there?!!) I had high hopes since there is some great winter vocabulary and cold weather animals in this book. Can someone teach me how they sing it? I really want this book to work!
Margie
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-a-day
Whether you are looking for another title to add to your seasonal collection or not, do not miss If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws! written by Kim Norman with illustrations by Liza Woodruff. The sheer fun rolls right off these pages tickling every funny bone in your body. Get ready to move, groove and read this title once, twice and ten times more.

My full review: http://bit.ly/1aN6XHq
Nanci Booher
So this is the kind of book that makes complete sense to me as I am always making up lyrics to songs I know because I can't remember the tune or song that it is supposed to be. I love the illustrations, and winter is my 2nd favorite season. This book reminds me of watching all the Christmas specials when I was a kid.
Cemeread
Jan 18, 2014 added it
Shelves: children
This book can be read to the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It" The rhyming is very good and includes many things to do in snowy weather. I do wish it included a bit more motions and actions children could mimic. The illustrations show different animals found in cold climates wearing hats and scarves as they act out the narrative.
Heydi Smith
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-storytime
A great lyrical read/acting out book. I loved it. While it may not be that difficult to rhyme with 'if you're happy and you know it' it can get tricky, this book pulls it off masterfully. I loved that it included a part about reading.

I would love to use this book for storytime. You could do this for artic animals, winter, songs, or friendship.
Read  Ribbet
I am a sucker for song parody books so why not check out If It's Snowy and You Know It. Already familiar with Kim Norman's Ten on a Sled, I decided to add this to my collection. Woodruff's illustrations create 11 winter scenes that feature one verse of Kim Norman's reworked version of If You're Happy and You Know It. I had to add it to my collection.
Maggie KutsBorg
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I sang this book at my toddler storytime and it was a big hit! The only thing that could have made it better is if each verse ended on an action. Some do ('give a roar' was a big favorite), but it would have been nice if every page had a fun action for the kids to do. Other than that minor quibble it's phenomenal!
Whitney Rachel
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness this book exists! It's such a fun read. I'm looking forward to using this one for Preschool storytime. The illustrations are both well done and clever. Norman managed to pull of a fantastic feat, crafting a fun adventure (and clear storyline) to the theme of one of the most popular nursery rhymes to date.
Alison
This is a GREAT adaptation of "If You're Happy and You Know It". The actions aren't as repetitive as in the original song so it's not as easy to catch on to if you were doing it at a storytime, but the rhymes are very creative and festive for the winter season. Highly recommended.
Anne
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
2nd by this team of author/artist
great for new version of something familiar
great for catching children's interest
great for re-enactment at meeting
illustrations revisit characters from 1st book...and in a meta-moment they are shown reading Ten on a Sled!
Lola Snyder
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful adaptation of the song "If You're Happy and you Know it." Follow the arctic animals through a full day of winter fun with wonderful rhymes and engaging illustrations. Oh, and you must sing!
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Really cute story, great art too.

I'd borrow it from the library, but I'd never buy it (printed in china??? really?? most books sold in the US are printed here... one more industry.... anyway personal rant over)
Ashlee Moser
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It had such a fun beat to read along too! I liked how they changed up the song and added more words. I would definitely use this book around the holidays in like a first grade class to get everyone involved.
Ruth Ann
Some of the pages are good for interactive portion of a storytime. Others would be impossible to do!

Fun to read, stumbling on alliteration, wording! "If your fur is full of flurries, you'll forget your winter worries...."

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Big Snow
  • Snow
  • Winter is for Snow
  • Baby Bear Counts One
  • Monster Needs a Costume
  • Snowflakes Fall
  • Row, Row, Row Your Boat
  • Beep! Beep! Go to Sleep!
  • Cold Snap
  • Bear  Hare Snow!
  • What Will Hatch?
  • Prairie Chicken Little
  • The Seals on the Bus
Kim Norman is the author of more than a dozen children’s books published by Sterling, Scholastic and two Penguin imprints. Titles include Ten on the Sled, (Sterling) which spent weeks on Barnes and Noble’s Top Ten bestseller list and has been released in Korean and German editions as well as appearing in Scholastic Book Fairs in schools around North America. I Know a Wee Piggy, was reviewed in the ...more
More about Kim Norman...