Start by marking “A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)” as Want to Read:
A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)

A Case of Imagination

(Madeline Maclin #1)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
"On this nice July morning in Parkland, North Carolina, the office of Madeline Maclin Investigations might as well have been an Egyptian tomb: hot, dusty, and dead." It doesnat help that her landlord Reid Kent, does a brisk business...and briskly hits on Mac to rejoin his agency. He maintains no one will hire a former Miss Parkland as a serious PI.
Mac has been friends for
Published January 9th 2007 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Case of Imagination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Case of Imagination

John Hutt
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Formula lady PI tale. Former pageant winner turned detective and weird friend (male) arrive in small town and get mixed up in sinister happenings at the local pageant, culminating in murder. Pleasant tale, no great depth but whiles away the time.
Sara Z
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this to be a lighthearted mystery. Not a lot of depth, but a cute easy read with a little bit of comedy

I would say to young readers or those that are looking for for a little bit of mystery , comedy and romance
Christine L
Being an avid cozy mystery fan I’m always happy to find new to me authors and series. While I found these characters quaint and quirky, I found this first in the series simply okay. I probably won’t, however, continue with this series.
Tami
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
great read
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
I'd like to know how this book got so many stars. The heroine is an ex-little girl beauty pageant winner, and soooo gorgeous that she cut her hair and wears no makeup so people will take her seriously as a private investigator. Really? Is being unattractive a requirement for an investigator? I hadn't heard that one. And how did she get to be an investigator? I would think that a background in beauty pageants wasn't a qualification to just go and get your license and decide this is what you want ...more
Carl Brookins
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it

It’s an interesting idea, but in the development, author Jane Tesh could have used more of her imagination. Madeline Maclin, an ex-beauty queen, opens an investigations agency. She does it in an office building practically next door to her landlord—who also runs an investigations agency. He constantly hits on her. He has plenty of business, she has none.

Madeline has a friend, a sort of free spirit, who claims to be a psychic. His name is Jerry Fairweather! Jerry has a girl friend, a lawyer named
moxieBK
This was a very nice, fairly quick read. Interesting cozy featuring an ex-beauty queen and her boyfriend, who’s a little bit of a wild card. I think it was this wonderfully delightful and refreshing mix of characters that really made the book stand out.

There was the landlord of her building, a private “dick,” (dick being a very appropriate word here,) who only really saw the face value of Madeline, and yet Madeline was a very smart, savvy character. A real PI who knew what she was doing, and no
Shirley Worley
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Madeline Maclin (Mac), former beauty queen turned PI, follows her best friend Jerry to the small town of Celosia, where he has inherited a house from a reclusive uncle. Jerry, not wanting to stake a claim to his family's fortune, decides to reinvent the old house as either a psychic shop or a B&B, or a combination of both, much to the chagrin of his girlfriend. Struggling in her business, Mac is asked to discover who is trying to sabotage the pageant when the most promising contestant is mur ...more
Nikki
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
For a mystery novel, this one was an easy to figure out plot. I liked the novel, but was a little aggitated with the writing style. The way the romance was placed within the story line didnt flow well and the story took a few off the wall, wild turns. I will say it was an alright read as a time passer. For me, I wont throughly search for the next book in the series, but I will read it if I come across it. Mostly out of curiousity to see how the author has grown in their style of writing. All in ...more
April
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Pretty good start to the Madeline Maclin series. Ex beauty pageant Madeline moves to a small town in North Carolina with her old college buddy Jerry, a small time con artist who has inherited a house from his uncle. Going as far from pageantry as she can get, she wants to become a private detective, but Madeline finds it hard going. I enjoyed the characters of Madeline, a no-nonsense private eye trying more or less successfully to live down her past and Jerry, her best friend who is being dated ...more
Jim
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Most books should receive three stars, by definition most books are average. A few deserve four starts if they're really good. Five few books deserve. This was more than four but less then five, but given a five point scale, it lies on the five side, not four.

I usually put the "bad" evaluation first then the "good" evaluation, but I would be nitpicking to find "bad." It moved quickly, it did not let the "romance" part, or other less related, to clutter up the speed at which this story moved. I d
Adrienne Testa
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is listed under Mysteries and Thrillers.. it was neither. Ms. Tess couldn't decide whether this story was going to be a romance between the two main characters or a mystery. More than you ever wanted to know about beauty pageants.. and it leaves you unsatisfied when you finally crawl to the last page. A sigh of relief that this story is finally over... you don't care if the two main characters hook up, nor do you care who the killer is in the end. Some may try it when its offered as a ...more
Kae Cheatham
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
When Madeline Maclin has a slump in her newly-established PI business, she takes a trip with her friend, Jerry, to a nearby town to see a house he has inherited. Jerry is pleased the house looks haunted (he dabbles in the supernatural). Within hours, Madeline has two new jobs--one to investigate the sabotage of a beauty pageant, the other two determine if a bookstore employees house is haunted. It all fits together. And then there’s the murder.
Great characters, and Madeline is a good PI.
Marcia
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story revolves around a beauty contest, which is not the most serious situation, but the fluff side is not emphasized. Madeline Maclin, the major character & detective, has escaped the pageant world only to find herself trying to discover who is sabotaging the set of the small town contest. The conversations and Maclin's insights into the characters are well done. At the end, Madeline solves the case but doesn't quite get the guy.
Susan
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Former beauty queen Madeline Maclin is trying to live down her career by excelling as a private investigator. But when her best friend Jerry inherits a possibly haunted house in nearby rustic Celosia, Mac goes along for the ride. She's begun to suspect that she's romantically interested in Jerry, who has a lot of baggage from his family tragedy. Coerced into helping with the local beauty pageant, Mac discovers the dead body of one of the contestants.
Brenda Kirton
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I don't remember how I got interested in it, but I am glad I did. Madeline is a fun character. And the killer wasn't easily guessed unless your guesses just consisted of all the characters. There was one item that made you think of this person but nothing to go with it til near the end. Can't wait to buy the next one.
Kimberly
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cosy-mystery
This was a fun read. I loved the characters. They were pretty quirky and they kept the story going. I look forward to reading more about them. It is so refreshing to find an author that lets her story and her characters stand on their own merits and not feel that they have to fall back on sex and swearing. Way to go Jane Tesh!!! Keep up the good work.
Ann
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Neat twist--former beauty queen is now a private investigator. Ordinarily, I wouldn't be bothered with former but Mac feels about beauty pageants as I do. Glad I've met her and will read more about her as the series continues.
Maggie Bishop
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful PI with a comic view pursues the sequins to find the killer of a beauty pageant contestant. Madeline and best friend Jerry (a pseudo psychic) root out the truth in a small North Carolina town. Tesh writes a witty, quick cozy.
Pepper Flanagan
I did not finish reading the book. I just could not get into the story. It was lacing in character development and plot development. I felt like it could have been a good book but it needed more meat.
Booklover
Jan 25, 2016 added it
Shelves: ebook, unrated
tbr
Anne
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok

An okay read, but quite weak on plot. And the characters are rather pathetic.
Debbie
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book...cannot wait to read the next one in this series.
Kitsey
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: southern-mystery
A fun, quirky and cozy read with just a dash of naughtiness and scandal!
Vinay Leo R.
Likeable characters, simple story, a mix of genres... :) it's a goodread for sure. I enjoyed the story.
Karen ⊰✿
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: free_kindle
I managed to finish it, but only just cared enough to. Not that interesting of a plot, or characters. A pretty bland book really - I'm glad I got it as a free download from Amazon!
Martha
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Enjoyable. Somewhat predictable. The characters are very likable.
Katelyn
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book left me wanting more mysteries by this author.
Becky Holtan-Brohn
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Easy to listen to and not much substance, but fun.
Yvonna
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
While the mystery was easy to follow, this book was enhanced by the characters' eccentricities. I really enjoyed this book. I'll read more by this author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: "A Case of Imagination" by Jane Tesh 1 2 Sep 25, 2012 07:40PM
  • Mew Is for Murder (Theda Krakow, #1)
  • The Ex Who Wouldn't Die (Charley's Ghost, #1)
  • A Purse to Die For
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
  • Diary of a Confessions Queen
  • Running on Empty (Main Street Mystery #1)
  • The Heat of the Moon (Rachel Goddard Mystery #1)
  • Doggone Dead (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #3)
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • For Better, for Murder (Broken Vows, #1)
  • At Large (Josephine Fuller, #3)
  • Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1)
  • Digging Up Death (Mari Duggins Mystery, #1)
  • If Errands Could Kill (Minivan Mom Mystery, #1)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Mysteries, #2)
  • Buyer's Remorse (Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery #3)
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
Jane Tesh lives and writes in Mt. Airy, North Carolina, the real Mayberry. She is the author of the Grace Street Mystery Series, the Madeline Maclin Mysteries, four fantasy novels, and over thirty plays for children.

Madeline Maclin (4 books)
  • A Hard Bargain (Madeline Maclin #2)
  • A Little Learning (Madeline Maclin #3)
  • Bad Reputation (Madeline Maclin #4)