Start by marking “I Want to Make You Safe” as Want to Read:
I Want to Make You Safe

I Want to Make You Safe

Poetry. LGBT Studies. "Amy King's poems seem to encompass all that we think of as the 'natural' world, i.e., sex, sun, love, rotting, hatching, dreaming, especially in the wonderful long poem 'This Opera of Peace.' She brings these abstractions to brilliant, jagged life, emerging into rather than out of the busyness of living: 'Let the walls bear up the angle of the floor, ...more
Published December 6th 2011 by Litmus Press (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Want to Make You Safe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want to Make You Safe

Start your review of I Want to Make You Safe
Andrea Slot
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A bizarre, make-your-head spin kind of collection in the best way. I loved this book and have read and reread these poems. I would recommend that readers approach the book with an open mind and an open ear so that they can more easily enjoy the odd tangled music of the poems. The poems are not about meaning first and foremost -- they are there to make you rethink the way language and meaning is created. A lot of fun -- and a genius of a writer.
Sherry Chandler
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thepoets
In the work of Amy King, I think I may have come up against the limit of my anti-narrative bent. In I Want to Make You Safe (Litmus Press, 2011), I encountered work that not only defies narrative, it defies the sentence itself.

This last sentence could not have been
the practitioners floating in my head,
flowing into yours,
my only eugenics,
my only criss-cross,
my only everything, except your match
in the last whip and crack . . .

a random pie far too gone,
too eaten am I to be holding on
to a produ
Meowmeowkitty
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A true poet who truly knows how to capture and reveal humanistic emotions. Asking truly inquisitive questions and describing heartbreaking situations you are thrust into your own thoughts arising a wealth of emotions and unknown thoughts. The tender language allows you to enjoy, yet be horrified at the violence and gentleness of the realistic nature of the situations described becoming one with the many narrator(s) questioning your function as a human and your own actions. In a way, King functio ...more
Emma Bolden
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A really lovely book with some gorgeous linguistic fireworks. I see this as a series of meditations on the idea of keeping ourselves and others safe in personal and political relationships. There were a couple of places where the polysyllabic words just got a little too heavy for me, but this is definitely a good read, especially to see what's going on in contemporary poetry and poetics.
Dennis
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are going to survive anywhere, especially in Topeka, Kansas, you need to carry this on you at all times.
Colorado Review
Nov 28, 2011 marked it as reviewed-books
Read our review by Michael Flatt at http://coloradoreview.colostate.edu/r... ...more
Lissa Kiernan
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I went to sleep last night thinking about how I Want to Make You Safe, the title of Amy King’s latest collection, can be read two different ways: 1) the desire to protect someone from harm, or 2) the desire to render someone harmless.

This morning, as I browse back through the collection, both of these readings stay with me—particularly in the middle section that shares the book’s title and especially in the head-spinning eleven-page poem that bears the name, too. The title poem unleashes a fury
Michael
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
A strange and delightful collection that I will most likely return to and find new, hidden meaning.

The bizarre juxtapositions of image and musicality tended towards new readings of the themes involved. Making one safe can refer to, as has been mentioned, both the literal maternal affections one experiences as a caregiver and a rendering of a subject as safe in terms of stifled aggression.

Amy's work could be described as hard to pin-down and that which is written with casual confidence.

"But when
Paula Koneazny
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Poetry that I felt I should like, but which I just couldn't get into. Started & stopped this book several times. Finally plowed my way through to the end, but that's not saying much, since I don't think I took away anything from the experience. Which is not to say that King's poetry isn't good; it's just to say that it wasn't for me this time around. That said, I did like bits and pieces here and there. I just couldn't make the whole of it cohere for me.
A gleaning of lines that caught my attenti
Amanda Williams
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I Want To Make You Feel Safe by Amy King for me is a five star read.

This is the first book that I have read by this author and this is the first book I've read in a long time that I've emotionally connected with. This book can be enjoyed time and time again. It is amazingly intense and the author prepares you for the journey for you to take really well. The poems were beautifully structured and well thought out. This book was extremely well written. I will definitely want to one click future r
Utk
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read by the author. This book contains a fine collection of poems, every one of them composed in their own special way. I like how different litteral ways of writing are used, how questions and narratives are combined; how the parts sometimes keep going and sometimes standstill. Long sentences is also one of the greatest thing in life, and it fits perfect in the poems where it's used! The poem ”Sewing the Coffin” is totally brilliant, and i really like ”The Curve of ...more
Maureen Alsop
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In the kingdom of Amy King’s I Want to Make You Safe, “we dance/ a music of paralysis petals/ that suspends the illusion of your feet…” King exposes the entry point, the space wherein barriers shift, where blockades in language create new dimensions and a reader is gently commanded to extend beyond blanched limitations of a glittering era toward the glitterati of a new millennium. Read full review at: http://www.poemeleon.org/maureen-also... ...more
Perifian
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I wish people would stop collaging prior poems at the back of the book into something that adds nothing to the collection.
Jawanza
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was very difficult for me to read. The author is clearly well-educated and clever, but her poems are not very accessible. They are made up of beautiful language, exquisite images, polished and sophisticated lines, but they just didn’t grab me or move me. I found my attention drifting in the middle of every poem I tried to read. That doesn’t happen when I read stronger poetry. I cannot recommend it.
John
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amy King’s poems seem to encompass all that we think of as the “natural” world, i.e. sex, sun, love, rotting, hatching, dreaming, especially in the wonderful long poem “This Opera of Peace.” She brings these abstractions to brilliant, jagged life, emerging into rather than out of the busyness of living: “Let the walls bear up the angle of the floor,/Let the mice be tragic for all that is caged,/Let time’s contagion mar us/until spoken people lie as particles of wind.

— John Ashbery
Apr 07, 2012
Aaron
Sep 16, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• Seraphim Beauty: My heart, my soul, my love (Illuminating Poesy Book 2)
  • The Missing Piece (The Missing Piece, #1)
  • Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook
  • A Giraffe and a Half
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • The Shadow of Death
  • Whiskey Words & a Shovel II
  • Algedonic
  • A Beautiful Composition of Broken
  • I hope this reaches her in time
  • Planting Gardens in Graves
  • Rest in the Mourning
  • Whiskey Words & a Shovel III
  • She Felt Like Feeling Nothing
  • Empty Bottles Full of Stories
  • Whiskey, Words, and a Shovel I
  • Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative?
  • The Weird and the Eerie
Amy King's most recent book is I Want to Make You Safe (Litmus Press).

Amy also works with VIDA: Woman in Literary Arts, and teaches English and Creative Writing at SUNY Nassau Community College, as well as poetry workshops at such places as the San Francisco State University Poetry Center and the Summer Writing Program @ Naropa University.

Her poems have been nominated for numerous Pushcart Priz