Start by marking “Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog: Sniffing Out the Perfect Plot in Provence” as Want to Read:
Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog: Sniffing Out the Perfect Plot in Provence

Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog: Sniffing Out the Perfect Plot in Provence

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
There is a moment every morning when the countryside takes a pause. The birds stop singing, the dogs choke back their barks, and cats pause mid-stride. Everything waits. Its in this vacuum that a man working alone has the best chance of finding truffles. The plot of land was perfect, just what they'd been looking for, offering expansive views across the valley and within w ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Summersdale Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog

Penny
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was an 'easy' reader, but I did find myself irritated by the stupidity and unthinking attitude of the lead character.
MaryG2E
By now there is a seriously substantial volume of books written by ex-pats from Britain, USA and Australia about their trials and tribulations setting up home in rural France or Italy. (It is 20 years since Under the Tuscan Sun was published, would you believe?)

With this more recent account by British wine merchant, Jamie Ivey, I was looking for an interesting angle, something different, something quirky to distinguish it from all the others I have read. Sadly, it is simply more of the same. Tho
Apryl Anderson
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Charmed clean out of my skepticism

I admit, any expatriate-en-Provence story will be held to critical judgment with Peter Mayle as the keystone. Literary or live, I've seen 'em come and go: innocent arrival and the romance of The French. You can't live with 'em and you can't live without 'em. But there aren't many who can tell the tale with such an enjoyable blend of astonishment, amusement, and respect. Chapeau, monsieur Ivey!
Karina
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: francais, travel, reviewed
Ten

What seems like light years ago I had the same dream as Jamie. I followed his story through the "Rose" books and even sent him my best wishes. In those days he was trying to sell wine in Provence. Now the story moves on to truffle hunting in the Perigord. Sounds like a cliche but as usual Jamie is an entertaining raconteur. I gave up on my pipe dreams but he probably never will.
Jessica
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
There were parts to this book that I did like, but there was a lot that I didn't like. Jamie Ivey and his wife Tanya move from England to Provence, France looking for a more laid-back life. The real estate market is notoriously over-priced, catering to wealthy foreigners looking for a vacation home. Jamie and Tanya have just about given up on trying to buy in Provence when their realtor shows them a property that they would have to build on, but the bonus is that there is a stand of oak trees kn ...more
Maureen M
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I wrote this review for our newspaper:
Jamie Ivey did what many midlife careerists dream of. The London lawyer and his wife chucked their old lives and moved to the south of France, where they built a new life selling wine and settling into a town in Provence. There he learns about the mysterious truffle market and the even more mysterious ways of building a new home in an area bound by many unwritten rules.
Ivey’s account of the travails of buying land and dealing with contractors bears a strong
Laurel
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I cannot even imagine why anyone would feel good about the French or Provence after reading this book. And when does a picturesque town, even a beautiful countryside, make up for rude, deceitful, fickle people? Yet Jaime and Tanya choose to live here and raise their family here. I do believe I kept reading only because I could skim this book while using the elliptical. It was the correct size for the book holder. Tanya appeared to have no personality. About the third time the dog peed in the hou ...more
Nadine
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a charming book! Narrated by yet another British expatriate, it details the story of a family attempting to acclimate both to the climate and culture of Provence.

The story is centered around the Ivey clan's purchase of a piece of property near there village. One of the selling points is the stand of oak trees purported to be a truffle haven. Jamie buys into the romance of truffle hunting, believing that it will help in his adaptation to his new home.

As with many other expat stories, both hu
Sharon
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After several years in Provence, Jamie Ivey and his wife had just about given up the idea of ever owning a home there. Then they found the perfect piece of property: great views, within walking distance of the village, and even the right type of oak trees for truffles. The only downside was the lack of a house. That small negative became the cause of much drama and trauma. And the adaptation of non-dog-lovers to a truffle hound was a small, but comical, inconvenience by comparison. This is a del ...more
Mary
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book about an English couple who settled in Provence, had children and had a house built. I feel bad not to give it 5 stars because I enjoyed the book but I like to keep 5 stars for the books that are my very favorites, like "Hot Zone" by Richard Preston.
Mary Strasner
Aug 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I did not connect with the author and his family. This is no YEAR IN PROVENCE or TOUT ALLURE.
Margaret Hoff
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Pure fluff but a nice relaxing summer read.
Lauren Davis
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well, I received this book as a gift. I don't think the world needs another book about someone trying to build a house in Provence, no matter how charmingly written, and this one does have its moment. Still. I'm quite sure that's been done, possibly done to death.

As someone who lived in France for many years, I recognize the frustrations and stereotypes, the problematic landlords and dizzying bureaucracy as well as some of the colorful stock characters. The dog training bit was new, and frankly
Tuck
english guy and his english? wife move to provence, build a house (most of book is about him trying to build the house, getting all crossways with the village, and about his wife having babies and how nice and good french health care is), start a business retailing/wholesaling wine (he was a rose nut but got over it), and gets into finding truffles. some good bits, but he glosses over many things that could be of interest like olives, lavender, and local wine. but he does good job talking about ...more
sharon
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Gwen Kaplan
Enjoyable and interesting, but it didn't happen to be a page turner for me (I picked it up and put it down and sort of meandered through it). However, it was difficult to read without rushing out to the store to buy every decadent food possible - unsurprising, since it was a book about France and food.
Judith
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The book had all the requisite criteria for an interesting story: englanders movie to France; living with a testy landlord; decide to build a house; fight with locals; good food; truffles; new baby and a dog.
Susan Springer
Feb 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A French bon-bon book à la Peter Mayle. I enjoy his descriptions of
daily life in Provence better than his quest for the palest rosé.
Meredith Entin
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love it. Refreshingly honest. Love the descriptive vocabulary of the Brits. Fresh and captivating writing style. A younger point of view than Peter Mayle. Love of home and family.
Lynn Hutchinson
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting book,but didn't feel it was as good or as funny as his previous three books.
Amy Lenarz
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun read. It's pretty much the same as Peter Mayle's books, but with pregnancy and a dog.
Anne
Oct 18, 2017
Megan Lineberry
Dec 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jamie Ivey is the author of three books about the south of France. He lives near the village of Lourmarin in the Luberon with his wife and daughter. Jamie's books have been published in the UK, the USA, Holland and China. Before becoming a writer Jamie was a corporate lawyer in the City of London. He has no regrets about giving up the rat race....
More about Jamie Ivey...