Start by marking “Giá đâu đó có người đợi tôi” as Want to Read:
Giá đâu đó có người đợi tôi

Giá đâu đó có người đợi tôi

Mười hai truyện ngắn trong tập truyện ngắn đã phác hoạ rõ nét chân dung những con người tràn đầy hy vọng phù phiếm hay mang nỗi thất vọng nặng nề. Họ không phải là những người hùng, họ chỉ đơn thuần là con người. Họ không tìm cách thay đổi thế giới. Chúng ta vẫn gặp họ hàng ngày nhưng không hề chú ý đến họ, không hề để tâm đến gánh nặng tình cảm mà họ đang mang và bỗng ...more
Paperback, 1st, 278 pages
Published 2008 by Hội Nhà Văn, Nhã Nam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Giá đâu đó có người đợi tôi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giá đâu đó có người đợi tôi

Start your review of Giá đâu đó có người đợi tôi
Ahmad Sharabiani
Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part = I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere, Anna Gavalda
I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere was first published in 1999 under the title Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part that met with both critical acclaim and commercial success, selling more than three-quarters of a million copies in her native France and winning the 2000 Grand Prix RTL-Lire.

عنوانها: دوست داشتم کسی جایی منتظرم باشد کاش کسی جایی منتظرم باشد نویسنده:
Suzanne
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
This is what it means to write with economy. All of these short stories and most of them are very short are told in the first person. No flowery metaphors here. The voices do the heavy lifting, creating these little gems that are revealing and poignant. What Gavalda does with so few words is amazing. While many are emotionally affecting and thought-provoking, there is humor too. The end of Junior is the funniest thing Ive read in a while.

There is much said on Goodreads about the unreliability
Pris robichaud
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Is That So Much To Ask?, 5 Mar 2006

"I shifted somewhat abruptly. She stood back up behind me and put both hands flat on my shoulders. She said, "I'm going to go. I want you not to move and not to turn around. Please I am begging of you.
I didn't move I didn't want to anyway, because I didn't want her to see me with my eyes swollen and my face all contorted.
I waited a while, and then headed to my car."
Anna Gavalda has seen a lot in her life. This novel with twelve short stories of people
David
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
This collection of short stories by Anna Gavalda, a former high-school teacher and mother of two, won the Academie Francaise Short Story Award in 2000. The citation mentions the 'dry wit and almost involuntary elegance' apparent in the twelve stories. The translation (by Karen Marker, published in 2003) manages to preserve both the wit and elegance - these stories were fun to read.

Courting rituals of the Saint-Germain-de-Pres, a country vet's terrible revenge, or an indelible encounter between
Marzieh Torabi
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
3.5 Stars
Tiffany
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
I've always been fascinated by the French because they have this sneering way of communicating they are completely above mediocrity. It might be apocryphal, but I've bought into it. Remember that fabulous film "Diva"? The bald guy who dedicated his life to assembling a 10,000 piece puzzle? In white? He was so cooooooooooooool ... Loads of internal coolness. That white canvas was just a token of his Zen-like internal refrigeration.

It's possible I've been living under a misapprehension for most
Lysiane
Jun 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was first attracted to the book by its title that I really liked and still do, I just loved the simplicity of it that means so much. But then I was really disappointed when I started reading it, it was BORING. Hear me out, i'm fond of boring stories/life stories where almost nothing happen cause like they say in Mr Nobody "life is like a french movie, most of the time nothing happens" so I like the truth that it implies. But this was just too much...I don't know how many times I gave up on ...more
Her Royal Orangeness
Life can be changed in just one fateful moment. These are the words printed on the cover of I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere and they perfectly encapsulate the overarching theme that connects these stories.

The stories in this collection are, for the most part, startling in a very understated way. For example, Lead Story, my favorite in this collection, is about a man who makes a decision to do something that doesnt seem particularly out-of-the-ordinary, but leads to a devastating
Rebecca
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories offers a good, satisfying mix of different voices, tones, and emotions. One of the things Anna Gavalda excels at is accurately reproducing the look and feel of our inner monologues to ourselves -- the self-doubt, guilt, awkwardness, fear, and muddle, but also the hopes, crushes, day dreams, inside jokes, and imagined futures that percolate through our brains on any given day. These stories also go by in a breeze that makes her writing seem effortless, but the ...more
Lena
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A strange collection of short stories in that they're not quite quotable, but often incredibly lovely and poignant. Some of the stories fall a little flat but the ones that work work so well that it makes up for it ("Courting Rituals of the Saint-Germain-des-Pres," "Leave," "For Years," and "Clic-Clac").
Justine
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
Short stories, from her. Touching :)
Abeer Hoque
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-recommend
I wish the oceans didn't separate the lit worlds so. British books sometimes make it over this way, and sometimes translations of foreign language books, but not enough. So it took a hearty recommendation from a friend who lives in Paris for me to pick up this fabulous French book by Anna Gavalda: I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere, which took the French world by storm, and then went international. I myself devoured it in two days.

IWSWWfMS is a collection of stories, some so short as
Andy
May 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this a lot. It seems like recently I've been reading collections of short stories just to shit on them, but I felt like these stories really justified the format. They had a zing or an oomph to them that I enjoyed very much.

I think that, in some ways, these stories appealed to the part of me that makes me tear up during romantic comedies (which is something I promised I wasn't going to volunteer anymore; oops). That's not to imply that I think they are just junk food or anything like
Catie
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories is as easy to read as pure fluff, but has substance and passion behind it. There are twelve stories in this book, all about ten pages long, which I gleefully devoured in an afteroon. The first-person narrators speak directly to their reader in conversational tones.

One of the things I love best about Gavalda's style is that she's sparse. Her pen-strokes are never wasted; no line of melodramatic adjectives strung on to fifty-cent words. She is at once precise and
Maria Ella
The prose is so intimate, yet intrusive. When I was reading some of the stories, I feel like I was watching #Aldub, looking at their eyes full of unspeakable truth, but concealed with the surrounding "phenomenon". Between you and them, there is a promise that is meant to keep.
Donnell
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I really like this book. I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Charlie
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories set in Paris.
We are allowed a glimpse into the -very- mundane life of the characters. Each perfectly encapsulates the bleakness of routine, the isolation and loneliness we all feel at times.

Yet I really disliked the writing, it felt almost clinical, like the author couldn't bare to get to close to the characters, which for the most part were pretty unlikeable in the first place.
Marja
Oh, how I love this book. Ever since I read this for the first time in early 2000's, it has been one of my all time favorite short story collections. After this second reading, I still love it. Each short story paints such a vivid picture with only few words. The stories are shocking, hilarious and heartfelt. Anna Gavalda, when you are good, you are really good.
Masu
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it
Heather Fineisen
Short chapters are short stories with the French charm. Love, loss and living. This was my go to book to carry around in my purse. Author is solid.
Lisa
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: francais
The last book we read in French class as an example of contemporary, modern and popular literature. It is a collection of short stories, where the common themes usually are such as love and every day situations. Sometimes humour, sometimes tragedy. The titles is chosen, I believe, because "waiting" really is what the lives of all these people is marked by. Waiting for a lover, for a child to be born, to find a sense of belonging in life, to a letter from an editor to arrive...

I prefer the story
Caroline
I raise my hand unceasingly in French class to ask exactly about words, but Gavalda is as good as any dictionary:

"A un moment, elle m'a demandé la difference entre désarroi (aimlessness) et désoeuvrement (confusion)."

And the moments of kindred spirit make sense:

"When New York Review of Books Classics republished Stoner, it was reviewed quite well, but sold modestly at first until it caught the attention of Anna Gavalda, one of France's best-selling novelists. She had to read Stoner in English
Tania
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
quotes#527126 from my notebook

"I'm tough at work, but that's just because I'm playing a role, you see? I have to be tough, I have to make them think I'm a tyrant. Can you imagine if they discovered my secret? If they figured out that I'm shy? That I have to work three times harder than the others for the same result? That I have a bad memory? That I'm slow to understand. If they knew that, they'd eat me alive!
"Plus, I don't know how to make myself liked ... I have no charisma, as they say. If I
Childofautumn
May 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never read short stories. Its not that I dont like them, I just appreciate novels more. I had to read a collection of short stories because of school. I liked the title and the cover was pretty, so I thought, why not this one? Its short. Yeah, I hated this book.

Gavaldas stories are all almost pretty much the same. The characters have relationship issues, they all smoke, yearn for something that they dont have. This book is SO french!! As a person who a) isnt french b) has never been to france
Anh
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic, liked
I don't remember the first short stories book I've ever read, so assumingly this is the first one. My first thought was, "This is strange." I guess I'm finally too used to fat books, which was why I felt funny when the first short story abruptly stopped. I told myself, "Well, what did you expect?" but still, it takes a little effort to enjoy (very) short stories.

But once I was in, this book was alluring. Each story is distinguishing, its theme is completely different - and yet has something in
Jae
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This piece is a compilation of short stories. It is originally written in French, but is well-translated for its non-French readers.

The book is packed with stories about love, family, and friendship. I would have given it five stars, but there were some stories that kind of left me hanging. Well, they are short stories, but those made me want for more. Among my favorite stories are Clic-Clac, For Years, and Junior. They either made me laugh or touched my heart in a way that is relatable.

So, will
Nica
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend and colleague lent me one of her books for the intention of helping me pick up a lesson or two about dating. It was originally in French, and I was a bit uncertain if I must read it. Some translated works turned out garbage, you know.

But this novel was different. It was actually a collection of short stories with the title as the theme. I enjoyed reading them and had a good laugh for some, but as I was drawing near the last story, I had this sudden heaviness in my chest that I couldnt
Moses Kilolo
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the most readable short story collection I have come across to date. Each of them makes you feel, reflect and enjoy, albeit a distilled form of human passion, pain, and desire. They are offered without the distraction of the author's emotions, but the character's deepest seated ones, rendering the writing an emotional depth worth envy, and cherish. Something light. Something worth. Something you can go back to once in a while when you have a minute or two to spare.
Norah
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
although this book is not "my type of book "
i still enjoyed it
its a collection of short stories , im not sure why but every time i finish one story i get this warm ,nostalgic feeling .
that's what i call good writing
Andrea Božić
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite book ever. You really have to like this tipe of writing because otherwise you won't like it at all. Of all the stories in the book, my personal favourite is the story about the young boy coming home and wishing that someone were there waiting for him somewhere. A must!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Suicide Shop
  • پاییز فصل آخر سال است
  • Suvashun
  • جزیره سرگردانی
Anna Gavalda is a French teacher and award-winning novelist.

Referred to by Voici magazine as "a distant descendant of Dorothy Parker", Anna Gavalda was born in an upper-class suburb of Paris. While working as French teacher in high school, a collection of her short stories was first published in 1999 under the title "Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part" that met with both critical

News & Interviews

“How could you let yourself be sidetracked while I was waiting for your breath on my back?” 36 likes
“Quand j'arrive à la gare de l'Est, j'espère toujours secrètement qu'il y aura quelqu'un pour m'attendre. C'est con. J'ai beau savoir que ma mère est encore au boulot à cette heure-là et que Marc est pas du genre à traverser la banlieue pour porter mon sac, j'ai toujours cet espoir débile. [...] Je voudrais que quelqu'un m'attende quelque part... C'est quand même pas compliqué.” 26 likes