Start by marking “The Art of Running Faster” as Want to Read:
The Art of Running Faster

The Art of Running Faster

The Art of Running Faster challenges the stereotypes of how distance runners should train. Readers will learn how to overcome factors that prevent them from running faster and avoid injury with correct running technique. Author and former world-class runner Julian Goater shares personal experiences to help in applying each suggestion.
Paperback, 1, 199 pages
Published March 9th 2012 by Human Kinetics (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Running Faster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Running Faster

Start your review of The Art of Running Faster
Julykatrae
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Lots of good practical tips for beginners to experienced runners - there is something in there for everyone. Lots of focus on running technique including drills, intervals & hills, strength, stretch etc. Must read for every runner. ...more
Sharon
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! I didn't stop reading it until I finished in the early hours of morning. As a runner of ten years I have only ever focused on running long but after reading this I am excited about taking a year off ultra/marathon goals to concentrate on speed work and implementing advice from this book.
Amy
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfict, running
Lots of good advice.

*Beginning runners often run at "medium" rather than ever really going hard or easy.

*Variation! Tempo, intervals, long rest, short rest, playful, intense...

*Build strength, suppleness, speed, and two other S's. Good advice for all around fitness.
Stefan Negrus
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an amateur runner I found the book interesting.

It provides a wide array of helpful ideas. The author tries to communicate with all kind of runners through the book. He goes by discussing things that may not be essential for beginners but also has pieces that could improve the skill of any runner, no matter the level.

Based on the reader experience with running they may perceive the book differently. Is not aimed at new starters (doesn't go into many details about what to do, when and how when
Matthew Cockerill
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sport
Excellent - quick read, from someone who has run at the very top level, and yet with ideas easily applicable by any runner (and other sports too, in fact)
Andy Parkes
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reading
This was excellent

A book about Julian's ideas around running improvement alongside various anecdotes about his own running career.

What I liked about this was how each chapter would cover a specific thing, explain why he felt something would work, such as Fartlek training and give specific examples about how to use them as well as examples from his own experiences.

In particular, there was a section about cadence that made sense to me for the first time despite reading about it in multiple books
Edwin Schoonbrood
Excellent guide that helps you improve on every aspect of running

This book is a must read for all runners that want to get better in running. Experiences by a world class athlete and training beast help you understand what a beautiful sport this is and what sacrifices to make to become the best runner you can get.
David Cuen
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I enjoyed the book, mainly his anecdotes on what was happening before a race and what went through his head in some. At a practical level, I picked up some great points on how to run and breathe better and a couple of great stretches. I would recommend this book to people who are into serious competitive running and racing since they will find it really compelling.
Nicola
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly useful book. As it turns out running isn't really a 'natural' skill accessible to 'everyone'. It requires technique and this book explains the 'why' and 'how'.
Kieren Geaney
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cements a lot of what you may already know but is easy to read and follow, so a worthwhile read for most.
Andréas Dieryck
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Art of Running Faster is an interesting book that goes against conventional wisdom in advising speedwork, recovery session, short session, intensive stretching, double daily training for all kind of runners. Mileage is not the only key to improvement says Goater and he may have a big point in advising complementary, exhaustive sessions for all types of runners. The stories and examples provided by the author make it an entertaining and lively read as well, though most of the references date ...more
Daniele
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my first book about running and had lots of interesting advises!
As often happens, the information could have be expressed in half the pages.
The author instead relives his past glory on every other page, I found this too much.
Helen
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I found a lot of helpful information in The Art of Running Faster. Like many how-to running books, I had to skim for what interested me and skip what didn’t. I found learning about fartleks and other training strategies extremely helpful. While I wasn’t very interested in reading about specific races and runners, I did enjoy some of the pictures. As a new runner, when talking about a picture in which one runner is finishing strong and his pursuer has “started to labour and over-stride”, I couldn ...more
Keith
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
In a sense, this the the memoirs of Julian Goater, in another sense, it is a compilation of what he has learned about running as an elite runner.

He is really big on doing intervals, but not long intervals. Hills are also great training, and not just the uphill, but don't get injured on the downhill portion.

Flexibility is important. He recognizes that runners don't like to take a lot of time stretching, so has a nice short set of stretches.

It is well written because I was half way through the bo
Adrian Royce
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport
This is a book that is very autobiographical but that should not detract from the great information contained in its pages. Sure a heap of the advice can be found on the interweb or in runners magazines but it is a unique insight into the author's way of confronting issues. One of the best chapters is near the end and that is about dealing with psychological stuff - that is rare to find on the interweb. Not sure if it needed a whole chapter dedicated to running clubs though! In short, I ran fast ...more
Andrea James
I really liked the parts of book with advice on how to improve running techniques but I was not so keen on the anecdotes. Overall, the book inspired me to be more well-rounded in my training and to include regimes to increase my suppleness, strength and skill instead of just focusing on speed and stamina.
Cameron
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
More of a autobiography then a book about training. I didn't mind this aspect,however if you were more interested in running training in a structured manner then look somewhere else. Most of the advice is sound and current. Key points - high cadence controlled through short back and forth with elbows. Run tall and with a slight lean
Angelo Barrameda
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book would cater to both first time runners and seasoned runners as well. It is nice to be inside the mind of an international runner who has experienced to compete against the best in the world.

The emphasis on stride and cadence has drastically improved my speed. Though I may have a lot to do with my training, I am confident that I would be able to improve my speed by following the 5S

Mike Wallace
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh. One more genetically blessed runner providing anecdotal advice and reliving his glory days. I much prefer Daniels' Running Formula or Road Racing for Serious Runners. ...more
Dianna
Decided to focus more on the other fitness book I was reading: The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. ...more
Ta0paipai
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
A book that offers sound advice to inexperienced runners and challenges long-time runners to think, and train, outside the box. I hope to reap the benefits of adding some new techniques to my training menu!
Mark
Dec 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
A perfect oxymoron. The author cites all of the things wrong with the training of the masses and then prescribed a program that would overtrain most runners, particularly masters runners. Doesn’t factor in the n=1 premis.
Jellybean6401
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was ok, but it went into waaaayyyy to much detail. My favourite part was the streches and warmups. I would totally recommend this book for people trying to train for a marathon!
Nicola Nuttall
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Some good tips but don't think it's going to make me much faster...
Josie Wright
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent advice for runners, has made me completely rethink my routine. I like the anecdotal examples, but appreciate it's not for everyone!
Jonny Wignall
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in running , even if you dont want to become a competitor , this will help you run better and that is a good thing !!
Charles
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Some useful information and willing to be different if need be. Could tone down the references to his winning the national cross country and the fact that he was pals with Dave Bedford.
Mylesgorton
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really interesting and very detailed - you can't read this without improving your running in some way!
Rachel
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fab book! Loved it so much I bought the paperback so I can refer to it at any time!
Michael
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot and wished that I had read it as a younger runner! Full of great training ideas, personal stories and recollections from the golden age of British distance running.

• The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
  • Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • What Happens Now
  • The Complete Fiction
  • Mitochondria and the Future of Medicine: The Key to Understanding Disease, Chronic Illness, Aging, and Life Itself
  • Sports Trading On Betfair: Profitable Betting Exchange Systems for Trading on Betfair and Betdaq
  • The Cranes That Build the Cranes
  • The Art of Resilience
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • Lore of Running

News & Interviews

“If presidents and prime ministers can find time to stay fit, others of us can find ways to do it, too.” 0 likes