Start by marking “The Daemon Parallel” as Want to Read:
The Daemon Parallel

The Daemon Parallel

(Daemon Parallel #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Our world is only the beginning..."
Cameron's father is dead and his inheritance is... rather unusual.
He has power to world-shift: travel between the Human and the Daemon dimensions and the Parallel - a realm where the two worlds meet.
Between battling daemons and allying with werewolves, Cameron's new life is already pretty complicated but things are about to get even more
Published May 1st 2012 by Floris Books (first published March 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Daemon Parallel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Daemon Parallel

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Daemon Parallel
Lari Don
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Edinburgh is a puzzling city, a city of many layers. There are roads which seem solid and grounded, then suddenly you look down through spearheaded railings and see another road four storeys beneath you. There are streets sealed off during the plague, now buried beneath modern roads and buildings. There is gory history just steps away from fancy restaurants and designer shops. Edinburgh is the cutting edge of positive Scottish democracy and also the cesspit of the worst of our history. And it’s ...more
Pop Bop
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Hits the Big Three

When it comes to middle grade and YA fantasy adventure there seem to be three aspects that can make or break a book's appeal - do we have a strong teen hero; do we have a range of interesting or engaging secondary characters; do we have a novel item, world, angle, hook, MacGuffin, premise, challenge, quest or threat to power the book forward? This book scores high marks across the board.

Our hero Cameron is solid and appealing. He still feels grief over the loss of his Dad and h
Niel
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good book. It is not like most urban fantasy book since it involves dimensional jumping, and the main character isn't in anyway trying to save the world or fight evil. This book was a good change of pace with it's easy, fun story line and humorous, enjoyable characters.
Cameron is forced to move into his grandmothers house, and learns that his family can cross between the human world and daemon parallel where mythical creatures exist. He learns about the way the parallel works and
Helen Jackson
I loved this fantasy novel set in Edinburgh. It's officially a YA book, but it worked for me as an adult reader who doesn't read much YA.

If you know Edinburgh you'll recognise a lot of the settings, and possibly some of the folklore. I particularly liked finding out why it's so easy to get lost in a large department store on Princes Street, and the Demon Parallel version of Heave Awa Hoose. If you don't know Edinburgh you'll get the impression that the city is magical (and you won't be far wrong
Janet Cameron
Twisty, imaginative and tremendously appealing. I loved the Edinburgh setting especially.
Anna
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts: This book was great. Super fun and interesting - even though I'm not a thirteen year old boy. I thought the idea of having parallel worlds that can be crossed simply by activating the right music in your mind was totally awesome. I also thought it made total sense that the parallel was strongest in Edinburgh because it is one complicated city with lots of layers and stories on every corner. One of my favorite things about this book was that Cameron wasn't trying to save the world - ...more
Lori Spier
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young adults
Recommended to Lori by: Netgalley
Shelves: young-adult
Loved the book. It was fun and exciting, definitely something younger readers would be able to see themselves in. The plot had enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing - no easy figuring out "who done it" ahead of time!

Cameron was a truly likeable character, who grew throughout the book. You wanted him to succeed and prove everyone wrong.

The world-building was good, but had a twist that not *everyone* could travel between the two worlds. No worries about Joe Regular finding demons! Th
Kibayami
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cameron's life changes forever when he's told his father is dead. Then his world forever changes when his grandmother proposes a bargain, help her and she will bring his father back from the dead. Grandmother Ives tells Cameron about the hidden world between the worlds, the Daemon Parallel, where humans and daemons intermingle and where the forgotten places and forgotten gods are drawn.

Cameron meets Morgan, who's not quite human, on a mission to collect an item needed for the revival. Morgan is
April
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Beautiful storytelling that entertained the whole time!

It had really great flow and did the job of making me think at times. I love a book that taps into my emotions.

I would love to see more from this author! Definitely o
Emma Adams
On the first page of the book, Cameron’s grandmother offers to bring his recently-dead father back to life. How could this not draw me in? Daemon Parallel is packed with everything I love in children’s fantasy – adventure, fantastical worlds and creatures, and great characters. The parallel world is detailed and well-developed, as are the varied and appealing cast of characters. I thoroughly enjoyed this adventure!

4 stars.
Jon
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Amazing. Can't wait for my godsons to be old enough to read and enjoy it.
Lucy Coats
Jan 11, 2015
Chris Scott
May 14, 2012
Omiai
rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2018
A.J. Clay
Sep 13, 2016
Ali George
Jan 09, 2013
"Heady, wonderful stuff… I adored this novel" (Paul Magrs on "Daemon Parallel")

The manuscript for Roy’s first novel, Daemon Parallel, was shortlisted for both the Sceptre and the Kelpies prize, and won a Scottish Book Trust New Writers Award. A sequel, Werewolf Parallel (“Clever, creative and fun.” Kirkus Reviews) completed the duology.

Roy's recent short stories have appeared in The Myriad Carniv

Daemon Parallel (2 books)
  • Werewolf Parallel