Start by marking “A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume One (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:

A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume One

(A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels #1)

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  29,601 ratings  ·  1,029 reviews
This graphic novel adaptation contains more than fifty pages of exclusive content not available in the original comic books, including

a new Preface by George R. R. Martin
early renderings of key scenes and favorite characters from the novels
a walk-through of the entire creative process, from auditioning the artists to tweaking the scripts to coloring the final pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about A Game of Thrones, please sign up.
Natalie This is an okay compromise. These graphic novels cover the same material as the books (so far, at least), but they're much shorter and cut out a lot…moreThis is an okay compromise. These graphic novels cover the same material as the books (so far, at least), but they're much shorter and cut out a lot of important scenes and character details. If you love the show, I'd recommend reading the books - just take your time! It took me forever to read them, but they're worth it.

That said, it's totally up to you :) Enjoy!(less)

·  29,601 ratings  ·  1,029 reviews

Start your review of A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume One (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #1)
Anne
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the actual book several years ago, and while I liked it, that sort of super thick high fantasy is very hard for me to get motivated to jump back into.
I'm don't think I'm terribly stupid, but a complicated political plot set in a strange land with an assload of characters? Every time I've been on the verge of picking up the next book I get a bit...nervous.

description

Anyway, I saw this in my library and thought it might be the answer to my prayers. A condensed version of the story with pictures! To
Sean Barrs The Ultra Vegan
I love A song of Ice and Fire , and I mean love. This series has impacted me more than anything else Ive ever read(A Game of thrones review). It changed my life around. So, when I first heard that it was being adapted for another medium, I was, as expected, very excited. Some stories become tired out, and almost redundant, when they are told again and again. This, however, seems to get better. I dont mean to say that each medium is better than those that came before it, but that with each ...more
Jeff
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Well................ahem...........kids............STAY. AWAY. FROM. THIS. BOOK.
My fair warning to y'all youngsters.
Unless you don't want to become addicted to erotic books. ;)

Alright, here's the basic summary of this story:
-blood
-guts
-desire *wiggles eyebrows*
-more blood
-you know what it is *wiggles eyebrows again*
-AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MORE BLOOD.

I'm not kidding. About 10 pages in, they're already hacking away at a monster and spewing disgusting stuff everywhere.
Oh! And would ya look at
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Pretty confusing at most times as I think there were a lot of gaps that would be filled in if I read the books, which I haven't and probably never will.
Carol
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was super fun!

Have only read the first novel....A Song of Fire and Ice....but have seen the entire HBO series....and am hooked. Do believe I will continue reading GAME OF THRONES in graphic form as George R. R. Martin makes it clear in the preface that the graphic form is not a tie-in to the TV series, but an original adaptation of his novels. Am excited to find out the storyline differences! He also explains it's why the characters do not look like the actors on our flat screens.

Argona
I can hardly describe how happy I was when I found these graphic novels. I need help maintaining my sanity until the 6th book of the series is released and these comics are like a gift from the old gods!XD

In my opinion, the graphic novels follow the story and atmosphere of the first novel very closely, but the show has obviously influenced them as well. Honestly, I think the comics actually depict the depth of the books better than the TV series does, since budget can't get in the way when it
Nicolo Yu
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collected-comics
My first exposure to GRRMs fantasy continent of Westeros was through the excellent HBO series. I havent had the chance to read the book, though I would seize the chance should a bargain hardback of the first volume of A Song of Fire and Ice fall on my lap.

The first hardcover book of A Game of Thrones just happened to be a collected edition of the first six issues of a planned 24-issue adaptation of it. It is not an adaptation of the HBO series as the two were developed in parallel but with the
fablesandwren
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 03-stars, not-shelved
WrensReads Review:

So, I would say that if you havent read the book or didnt watch the show, the graphic novels might be a little confusing. They do explain some things, but it isnt to an extent that if the information was new, it would make sense.

The art in this is beautiful (and I wish I could have gotten a screen shot of some of them, but I had a physical copy). They make even the ugly people look pretty, which actually may be a flaw in the art... now that I think about it.

It doesnt cover the
Riley
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This was really good, but if you haven't read the book series it would be very confusing. It's a great addition to the series but not really necessary.
Karl Marberger
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Awesome artwork!
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

A concise and accurate adaptation of one of my favourite books. The artwork is lovely and all characters are in character. Its a great refresher for anyone who has already read the first book of the A Song of Ice and Fire series.
Jim
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you werent living under a rock for the last 5 years, you must at least have some idea about what Game of thrones is. So if you are a fan of the tv show and want to know what are the differences with the book, but you feel a bit lazy, here you have a good alternative choice. The only thing that I personally didnt like so much is the art, not in general, as its good when it comes to environment etc, but the characters look very similar and way too young. This didnt stop me from enjoying this ...more
Gaja
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
So I'm still reading through the books, and quite liking them, but this was just...eh. It had the same story, obviously, but the art just sort of killed it for me. The faces were inconsistent from one panel to another, no one looks even close to the age they're supposed to be, and the girls are all just far, far too 'comic booky' to work for who they are. Like Catelyn, for one. A woman with five children, the eldest of which is 15-16 isn't going to have the skin of a 22 year old, nor that whole ...more
Brittany
I loved seeing the artist's rendition of the characters in this graphic novel style. The story flow is pretty true to form, except condensed. The adaption of the story by Daniel Abraham is very fun to read. It is interesting that the artist, Tommy Patterson, rendered Catelyn in such a sex goddess way. It was great to see her feeling portrayed in a feminine way that was not ALL maternal.

I loved seeing the early rendering sketches of some of the scenes and characters as well as the explanation of
David Sven
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended for fans of the A Song of Ice and Fire series. This is an adaptation of the books, not the HBO series. The character depictions are different to the TV series and in a good way.

This instalment ends where Catlyn makes it to Kings Landing and lets Eddard know of her suspicions re Bran's accident.

The art was detailed and fantastic. If I have a complaint it was that the panels felt a little busy and the overall book felt dense compared to what I would expect in a graphic novel. I found
Megan
Jun 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Blech. This. I would really hate for anyone's first introduction to the Song of Ice and Fire universe to be this graphic novel because it's such a watered down version of the story. I know a book this long is going to be difficult to adapt, but I'm not sure I would have really been able to follow along or understand the story without having read the books previously or at least watched the show. Some of the panel changes were just so abrupt. My biggest issue though was with the art, which was ...more
Alex
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book on a promise from a Goodreads friend that there would be boobies and so I thought I would, in this review, focus on whether Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel delivers on that promise of boobage, both in the quantity and quality of presentation therein.

It's worth pointing out, initially, that not every issue of this comic featured nudity of any kind and in order to enjoy the aforementioned boobs you will have to slog through some actual storytelling. This may or may not be a
Lema
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I honestly think that the amount of love and work put into this work of art is almost equal to the work put into the TV show!
The illustrations are amazing and the details are just masterful, and they picked up all of my favorite lines to include here.
The experience of using this new medium to hear the story again was very rewarding. I loved how they stayed very true to the character descriptions in the novels (I had no idea that Tyrion had one green and one brown eye!).
The most common asked
Deborah
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you going through Game of Thrones withdrawals? I am still waiting for Winds of Winter to be released. This first illustrated volume does a great job adapting the Westeros series. Meticulously drawn and vividly colored you are drawn into the world of the Starks, the Lannisters, the Targaryens, and King Robert Baratheon with his entourage and council once again. For this series the characters and scenery do not look like their HBO counterparts but as how envisioned and described by Martin in ...more
Kimberley doruyter
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
the art is beautiful.
Holly
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never would have guessed that this book could be made into a graphic novel series. They are just so dense with so many characters and a lot of dialogue, but somehow they did it, and they did it very well. The character faces are distinctive, the narrative, while condensed, is still very true to the novel. Color me impressed!
Aneesha
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW I loved this graphic novel. I loved the art work. The characters looked amazing. I loved the art of Tyrion Lannister and Khal Drogo. They both look similar as described in the books.

This had some of the scenes which were not shown in the show and are mentioned in the book. I really enjoyed reading and it was like i am living in the world of ice and fire again. I love the books. I love the show. Now i am in love with the graphic novel. I am so excited to read the next 3 volumes.

Its game of
Ranting Dragon
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephan

A couple months ago, someone gave me the first six issues of the Game of Thrones comics. It took me a while to start reading them, but once I did, I realized once again how awesome the person who gifted them really is. This comic, adapted from the George R.R. Martin story by Daniel Abrahamknown for his Long Price Quartet and, more recently, The Dragons Pathwith art by Tommy Patterson, is quite the read. Simply put: it made me devour the pages and left me
Marquise
The entire graphic novel adaptation is acceptable in terms of writing, but the drawing itself isn't good and not on par with the best of comics out there, which is a pity as this series deserves a great artist and a great style to do the plotline justice. Unfortunately, it's not so. The things that irked me the most were: a. that whilst this purports to follow the BOOKS, in some characters' features you can clearly see the face of the SHOW actors, and there are very evident mistakes that ...more
Penelope (Penelope’s Picks)
As a huge lover and self-proclaimed fangirl of all things Game of Thrones, I felt it was my sworn duty to pick up the graphic novel. As much as I love the books in A Song of Ice and Fire series, the vast world of Westeros, the wonderful characters and the incredible storylines, I found this graphic novel to be lacking. The art was good, but knowing the original story as well as I do, I felt like there were many parts that could have been improved/expanded on. Also, there were quite a few grammar ...more
Carol Storm
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful adaptation, even if everyone looks too pretty at times. Cersei looks like a department store mannequin!
Rachel
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
My first true "read" of a graphic novel. I'd looked through a few issues of The Walking Dead, and enjoyed them, but having read this collection, I now wonder if it's set an impossible standard for future reads. I loved everything about A Game of Thrones graphic novel. Story adaptation, art, coloring, dialogue boxes, and the script itself, all spot on. Every scene conveyed emotion, movement, intensity. Thoroughly impressed with this work, and very much looking forward to further issues.
Avinash
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Well! Colossal is the right word for ASoIaF series and adapting it (even only the first novel "A Game of Thrones" of the series) into graphic novel is no easy job. The book series was very popular itself and the HBO TV Series adaptation made apparently the whole world it's fan, this doesn't make anyone's job easy. You can simply screw things because of the sheer weight of expectations so it required the utmost level of commitment and hard work. I am glad they succeeded in it.

Being a comics book
Ije the Devourer of Books
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this graphic novel because I haven't seen the TV series or read the books. I wanted a quick introduction so that I could decide whether or not to get into the series.

Converting a book into a graphic novel is not the easiest of tasks but it is an excellent one if you are a comic fan like me. This is a good intro to the books and sets the scene for the intrigue and drama which is to follow. I am still not sure if I want to read the novels but I will continue to follow the
Anna
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Hums GOT opening theme* Gawd it's so catchy!

I never imagined watching the show, then reading the graphic novels, then maybe reading the books. A part of me wants the (book) series to officially finish because we all know I'll forget important details. I don't like waiting. Winter is coming...

This volume covers the events from season one. I haven't read the books yettttt so I am gonna go by the show. It stops at the scene where Daenerys reveals she is pregnant.
Goodreads Librari...: Ebook version missing 2 16 Jul 15, 2017 07:59AM
Goodreads Librari...: Authors need shuffling 6 39 Apr 23, 2014 09:28PM

• A Game of Thrones: The Book of Ice and Fire RPG rulebook
  • A Clash Of Kings: The Game Of Thrones Rpg Supplement
  • The Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Middle-Earth
  • BookRags Summary:  A Storm of Swords
  • The Art of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire (#1)
  • The Art of George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire (#2)
  • A Game Of Thrones preview
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Official Movie Guide
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 & 2 (Game of Thrones Book, Book about HBO Series)
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 3 & 4
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: Visual Companion
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy
  • Game of Thrones: A Pop-Up Guide to Westeros
  • A Clash of Kings #1
  • A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Companion Cookbook
  • The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #2)
  • A Song of Ice and Fire (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1-4)
Daniel James Abraham, pen names M.L.N. Hanover and James S.A. Corey, is an American novelist, comic book writer, screenwriter, and television producer. He is best known as the author of The Long Price Quartet and The Dagger and the Coin fantasy series, and with Ty Franck, as the co-author of The Expanse series of science fiction novels, written under the joint pseudonym James S.A. Corey.

A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels (6 books)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume Two (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #2)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume Three (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Volume Four (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #4)
  • A Clash of Kings: The Graphic Novel, Volume One (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #5)
  • A Clash of Kings: The Graphic Novel, Volume Two (A Song of Ice and Fire: The Graphic Novels, #6)