Start by marking “By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)” as Want to Read:
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin #6)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  11,347 Ratings  ·  615 Reviews
The sixth book in the USA TODAY bestselling Elemental Assassin urban fantasy series featuring Gin Blanco, who by day owns a Tennessee BBQ joint, and by night is a tough female assassin known as the Spider.

I never thought I’d need a vacation from being an assassin….

My name is Gin Blanco, and I’m the assassin the Spider. All the Ashland’s lowlifes are gunning for me and try
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 388 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about By a Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By a Thread

Choko
*** 3.60 ***

A buddy read with my UF assassins at BB&B

This is the 6th book in the Elemental Assassin Series and we see Gin, an ice and stone elemental, trying to figure out her life after finally getting rid of the evil bitch who had destroyed her family and kept trying to make her and her loved ones lives miserable and shot!!!! You would think that everything would be peaches and cream from here on out, but things are never so simple for Gin and her gang...

It could have been a pleasant, if
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.75 Somebody got feelings all over my assassin story Stars…..

description

Some of this book was awesome. The Bad Guy is fantastic, I think he was worse than even Mab and the tension built around this part of the story was so fantastic. I wasn’t sure how Gin was going to win against what seemed like insurmountable odds. Owen and the ever growing relationship between him and Gin is great as well. I enjoyed their time together on page and didn’t mind at all the Owen went a little alpha male in this book. These
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Ok, I really gave this another try. I even made it to 70% but I am absolutely bored with it. I no longer find Gin a likable character. The only characters that I truly like are Owen, Finn, and Sophia.

update....
I decided to give the book another chance. Too many people have messaged me regarding how much better this book is than the previous one. So im trusting all of them!

My old ranting below

I'm giving up on this series. There was so much I liked so much about this series but I can't do it any
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Fans of the series won't be disappointed at all.

Now that Mab Monroe is finally gone and Gin’s identity has become common knowledge, every aspiring criminal out there is trying to make a name for himself by killing the (in)famous Spider. Sophia Deveraux is busier than ever, what with cooking for all the people who come to the Pork Pit to stare at Gin and getting rid of the bodies Gin leaves behind in their back alley. So when Finn suggests a vacation for the four of them (Gin, Owen, Bria and hims
Denisa
3.5 I liked it, just not as much as the last one...

Ok, maybe it's not the best idea to read books in a series one after the other. You get too used to the characters and you don't see them as special as they actually are (and I know Gin is, I love her and it's rare that I like a female character as much as I like her).

Still, well... the others were a bit more interesting.

If you liked the previous books though, read it! It's definitely worth it!
Naomi 🌸
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was terrific :-) One of my favourite series ❤ ...more
Katyana
Well. This one was honestly disappointing to me. I'll admit that the ending was good, and did a lot to salvage the book, but I was pretty irritated for the first 200 pages.

The biggest flaw in this book is Bria.

I know that she was never thrilled with Gin being an assassin, but she did make her peace with it. So in this book, when Bria suddenly morphed into a female Donovan Caine, I was pretty shocked. I thought it was needless drama in the Gin/Bria relationship, and was way out of character for h
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
After the events regarding Mab in Spider's Revenge, Gin is now having to deal with other lowlifes on a daily basis and it's taking its toll. Finn tells her she needs to go on vacation and thinking it might be a good way to spend some quality time with Bria, they head off to Bria's hometown.

description~*~description~*~description~*~description~*~description

Okay...I finally get the whole Donovan debacle. Not that I was wanting Gin to get back together with him especially after getting to know Owen but I'm not sure if I was expecting this! I really do
Steven
That's right. She's better off without you. Buh-bye.

Callie deserves better too though.
Wanda
***2017 Summer Lovin’ Reading List***

Can it be? Can Ms. Estep have written an installment of the Elemental Assassin series without repeating herself ad nauseam? It would seem that she can or that an editor finally stepped into the breach. I have raised my star rating by a whole star in appreciation!

I met Ms. Estep at a literary conference this summer and I like her. But I think I know what’s going on with all the repetition in her books—she writes at a frantic pace! I think that repeating thin
Jo

08/06/2016 Buddy read with my bloodthirsty friends over at BB&B because we love our weekly Wednesday BRs. Let the fun never end!

Gin is so tired of fighting all the lowlifes in Ashland, who has decided to makes a name for themselves by taking out the famous Spider who killed Mab Monroe. So when Finn convinces her she needs a vacation, she agrees.

Together with Bria her baby sister, they decided on a little holiday at a very nice beach town, where Bria’s best friend owns a restaurant. But G

Cheryl La Pa
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loving this series!

Gin decides to get away from it all and have a few days away with Bria, Owen and Finn. Sounds romantic and relaxing but it turns out to be anything but the idyllic holiday that Gin so desperately wanted. But it does give Bria and Gin an opportunity to work through their issues, and Gin finally gets to sort out her feelings for Donovan, the ex who broke her heart.

I laughed at Finn's witty remarks and Owen's pointed comments, and loved Gin's kick ass attitude. Another great in
Katie Michaels
I have to admit, I was worried. When Jennifer Estep wrapped up the Mab Monroe storyline in the last book, it felt like it could be the end of the Elemental Assassin series. Then I head two words that made me shudder: road trip. Few authors can take their main character out of the familiar environment and make the story work. But let me tell you right now, not only did Jennifer Estep make it work, she's given us the very best installment in the series to date.

After Mab's death, Gin thought her li
Maria Dimitrova
Another awesome buddy read with the bloodthirsty folks at BB&B.

I love Wednesdays! They're not only the middle of the week and mean that I just have to hang on just a bit more before I can indulge in shameless time-wasting during the weekend but also are the day we start our weekly UF buddy reads with the wonderful crew of people that over the last few months have become my friends. So yeah you can say I'm always looking forward to Wednesday. The fact that we're currently reading about one o
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF/PNR Fans
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Lots of good stuff...tension between Bria and Gin, a vacation spot with a bigger badder fish than Mab Monroe, the reappearance of Gin's ex-boyfriend Donovan Caine, and Gin's oh-so-sexy-best-boyfriend-in-the-world Owen, fight scenes, bloodshed, spilled guts, and good food...What's not to like?

***edited to add full review***

The Story
After defeating Mab Monroe, the fire elemental responsible to the murder of her mother and big sister, Gin Bianco wants life to return to normal but rumors of her bei
Shauna
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to really push myself to finish this one.

Okay, yes, the re-hashing that had you skimming through sizable portions of previous books in the series has been greatly reduced but perversely, it's absence just let me focus in on what has really been my main problem with this series. Gin. That's right, the woman herself. What attracted me to the series in the first place was the whole bad-ass female assassin deal. What I got was a guilt-ridden doormat.
First book, I was happy to heap the large
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review

Cover: Love it.
Rating NC-17 for the sexiness of it all.
Thumbs Up 5 shiny stars
Overall: Fantastic read!
Characters: Awesome!
Plot: Love the surprise and the twist in the story.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes, absolutely.
Recommend Yes
Book Boyfriend: Owen

SUMMARY (50 word or less)

Fantastic read and a total home run. Estep brought us back to all the reasons why we love this series. We get one heck of a surprise earlier on in the story and from there Gin finds herself in trouble we
DaJa
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
Und wieder ein neues Band über meine Lieblings-Profi-Killerin.
Trotz Mabs Tod kommt Gin nicht zur Ruhe. Immer wieder tauchen Gestalten bei ihr auf um die berüchtigete Killerin zu töten. Gin hat wirklich Urlaub verdient um sich von den ständigen Kämpfen zu erhohlen. Doch selbst in der alten Heimat Ihrer Schwester kommt sie nicht zu ruhe. Gin trifft auf einen alten Bekannten und hat damit sehr zu kämpfen.
Mir gefällt einfach, dass sie nicht das Superweib ist, dass alle Bösen mit einem Handfeger wegw
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5 going on 4

And with this instalment this series is finally back on track! I almost gave up on Elemental Assassin because of the constant recaps and repetitions (it felt like reading the same chapter over and over again) but held on tight because I love Gin’s character. I’m so glad I did! Things had gotten a little better with Spider’s Revenge and Mab’s demise so I was curious to find out what would happen now that the original story arc was over and done with.

By a Thread was h
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Why I Read this Book: This series is on my auto-buy/auto-read list. Seriously, I’ve been pre-ordering these books for a while now. I have loved this series since the first book.

What I Liked: Just as with its predecessors, By A Thread was full of action and had me turning page after page. It was pretty much non-stop action from the start. And just when I was worried about Mab no longer being the villain in this series, the author brings a whole new level of ‘bad guy’ to Gin's world. Randall was d
Beth
Gin is tired and trying to appease everyone by being something she is not. She goes on a vacation to get away from it all and soon finds out its not the vacation she had planned. She runs into her ex-boyfriend, who left and never looked back, and he is engaged to the women her sister considers a sister of the heart. Jealousy, conflict, abandonment issues... Gin has to face the demons of her past and choose the true direction for her future.

I actually listen to the audio book for By A Thread. I h
Suz
Nov 19, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
2/28/12 - Undecided about whether I'll continue this series. Can't stand the rehashes.
Tina ♥ Bookaholic

Meine Gedanken zum Buch:
Wieder einmal habe ich lange auf dieses Buch gewartet, gleichzeitig hatte ich auch ein wenig Angst davor, weil Dinge im Klappentext angedeutet wurden, die ich einfach nicht haben wollte. Zum Teil wurden diese bestätigt, zum anderen doch noch gut gelöst.

Aber beginnen wir mit dem Anfang, bei dem Gin einwilligt, mit Owen, Finn und Bria auf Urlaub zu fahren, da die letzten Wochen nach Mabs Tod anstrengend für Gin waren. Ständig lauern i
All Things Urban Fantasy
I'd like to pretend that I'm too mature to relish the revenge fantasy of running into an old ex when feeling gorgeous, successful, and in love... but honestly, is anyone that evolved? In the past I've enjoyed Gin when she sticks to violence and skips the emotional baggage, but BY A THREAD was a delicious blend of both. Emotional closure paired with assassin skills, the Elemental Assassin series has adapted to life after Mab without missing a beat.

By this far into the series I expect Estep to thr
VampireNovelFan
Ain’t no rest for the wicked - more like a 3.5

It seems as if Gin Blanco can't catch a break no matter how hard she tries. As Jennifer Estep's prior novel, Spider's Revenge, and short story, Thread of Death, wrapped up the first major arc of this series, this book was more of a cool down with Gin taking a vacation with her sister, Bria, in an attempt to bond and heal after all they've been through.

The location of choice for this vacation is Bria's old hometown, a swanky beach town where all loo
Lielan
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Esteps "Spinnenfeuer" ist der sechste Band ihrer Elemental Assassins Reihe und lässt sich in das Urban Fantasy Genre eingliedern. Jennifer Estep gestaltet diese Reihe mit viel trockenem Sarkasmus, Action, Spannung, aber auch prickelnder Erotik und viel Emotionalität. Für Fans des Adult Fantasy Genres ist "Elemental Assassins" also genau die richtige Reihe. Ihr werdet diese Bücher lieben!

Ich muss nun erst einmal meinen Unmut über die neue Covergestaltung los werden. WARUM? Warum lieber P
Katie(babs)
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Estep has tied up a very big loose end with her fifth book, Spider’s Revenge in her popular Elemental Assassin series. So you’d think that would be the end of this series? Think again. Our favorite assassin, Gin Blanco, aka the Spider is back in By a Thread (with at least another 3 books to follow). Gin has eliminated her biggest enemy and now is open to living a normal, mundane life. Not so. She’s been targeted for assassination by criminals who want to take over Ashland that’s now up ...more
Julie
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

By a Thread is the sixth book in Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin series and it continues to demonstrate how awesome this series is.

This time around Finn suggests that it may be time for Gin to take a vacation. A weekend away with Owen, Finn and Bria. You see, since taking care of business back in book five, Gin’s alter ego as the assassin The Spider is starting to become public knowledge. Well, that’s not completely true - It’s becoming public specu
Stephanie  G
After finally having her revenge against the woman who murdered her family, Gin Blanco would like nothing more than a minute to relax. But there will be none of that, not with Ashland's criminals looking to be the one to take down the assassin known as the Spider. So Gin has packed her bags and is heading out of town with her sister Bria for a much needed vacation. Blue Marsh is a beautiful resort town with an upscale hotel, swanky shops and beautiful beaches. None of which really interests Gin. ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

With Mab Monroe out of the picture, Gin takes a much needed vacation with her sister, Bria. They stop at Sea Breeze, Bria’s friend’s trendy restaurant where Gin takes a bite out of the sweet owner, Callie. While I think Gin has grown from the previous books in the series, there are still times when I feel like she is still the callous person she was in book one. She notices how friendly Callie and her sister are and can’t help but feel jealous of their relationship. Gin
Madison Mega-Mara...: By a Thread 1 3 Jun 15, 2012 12:12PM
New releases 5 48 Jun 14, 2012 07:12PM
Free Book Giveaway: Win By a Thread by Jennifer Estep! 1 8 Mar 05, 2012 04:43AM
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Magic on the Hunt (Allie Beckstrom, #6)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Black Howl (Black Wings, #3)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Deadly Descendant (Nikki Glass, #2)
  • Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Back from the Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #5)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron
More about Jennifer Estep...

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Hello, sexy. I knew that you couldn't get through the night without me," Finn's smug, slightly sleepy voice filled my ear. "So why don't you tell me what you're wearing?"

I rolled my eyes. Apparently, my foster brother hadn't bothered to check his caller ID before he picked up the phone. I wondered if this was how he answered all his late night calls, or if he was actually expecting to hear from Bria. I really hoped it was the second one.

"What am I wearing? Well, right now it would be the blood of two giants, among other naughty unmentionables," I purred. "What does that do for you, sexy?"

Silence.

Then Finn cleared his throat. "Uh Gin? Did you dial my number by mistake? Shouldn't you be cooing these sweet, sweet nothings into Owen's ear instead of mine?”
56 likes
“I looked at Bria. “How do you put up with him?”
Bria started to open her mouth, but Finn piped up instead.
“She puts up with me because I happen to be rich, handsome, charming, a witty conversationalist, and exceptionally talented in bed,” he smirked. “Flexible too.”
I groaned. “I did not need to hear those last two.”
33 likes