Start by marking “Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life” as Want to Read:
Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life

Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  1,456 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
‘A daring imagination has woven a simple rhyme into a brilliantly original tale [about Jennie, the Sealyham terrier, who seeks Experience and becomes the star of the World Mother Goose Theatre].' 'H. ‘Superb fantasy.' 'BL. Notable Children's Books of 1967 (ALA)
1968 Fanfare Honor List (H)
Best Books of 1967 (SLJ)
Children's Books of 1967 (Library of Congress)
Published May 22nd 2001 by HarperCollins (first published 1967)

Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Calista
This is a darker Children's book. The dog is not happy with everything so she goes out to find Experience. There is also a theatre company and it turns out she wants to act. She ends up in an audition and doesn't know it.

The dog is not satisfied and she is seeking. She does end up being happy in the end. It is like a child needing to leave home and make their own life.

The art is stunning in this book.
Alice
Jun 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This is one of the most special books of my childhood, and admittedly an unusual one. This is a somewhat dark book for a child - really, it's not meant for children. It's about a dissatisfaction with the norm and with perfection, and the (often futile) quest to find "experience" and "something more." It's not a book with a heartwarming lesson, and it's actually quite surreal. Sendak wrote it to deal with the death of his beloved dog Jennie. I love this book dearly and recommend it to anyone goin ...more
Beth
May 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I must have read this book every night before bedtime for years and years of my childhood. There's just something so creepy and fascinating about it -- I think it's impossible to put your finger on it, but I remember being drawn to it even when there were plenty of new books to tackle. The illustration is particularly chilling. If it seems a little odd (or completely bizarre) when you first check it out, give it another chance. Sendak is a genius.
GoldGato
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this in my collection for, um, decades, but somehow it just kept missing me. Finally, I have grabbed it and finished reading it, though I tried to pretend it was going to go on forever (because I wanted it to never end).

This is Jenny.

photo HIGGLETY PIGGLETY - jenny at the table_zpsjj5s9pgz.jpg

She is the very proud owner of one round pillow (upstairs) and one square pillow (downstairs). Her treasured possessions include a bottle of eyedrops, a bottle of eardrops, some pills, a comb and brush, and a red sweater. But Jenny isn't satisfied.

I am di
AGamble
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books as a child and has remained so in my adult years. It is the longest of Sendak's works, perhaps because it covers so many themes: the meaninglessness of materialism, dissatisfaction with one's lifestyle, the value of unusual experiences, the cunning necessary to survive, the true "having it all."

5/8/12 - I reread it today, after learning Sendak had died. Jennie is based on Sendak's own dog, Jennie, and the book was written as her memorial. Even as a child, I rea
Dolly
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Maurice Sendak
For some reason, I was determined to read more of Mr. Sendak's books, hoping to find one that I could appreciate for his unique artistic style and abstract humor.

The black and white illustrations are humorous and really help to convey the strange plot of the story. No matter how hard I try, though, it just didn't do anything for me.

Meh.
Siskiyou-Suzy
For years and years I have tried to find a book I read as a child. It filled me with such a feeling of wonder, and I remembered that, but I couldn't remember much else. I thought it had "yonder" in the title, but when I searched and searched, nothing came up. I felt like there was a "fairy tale" or "Mother Goose" vibe, though I couldn't place it -- I had a strong recollection of Old Mother Hubbard. I thought I remembered an illustration of a girl, looking out over the land while sweeping a stoop ...more
Lars Guthrie
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Don’t be expecting ‘Where the Wild Things Are,’ because this is wilder and far more quirky. If you are only familiar with the illustrative style Sendak uses in ‘Wild Things’ or ‘Night Kitchen,’ this will serve as a good introduction to a darker and more intricate Sendak, steeped in Doré and Dürer.

Jennie, a terrier who seems to pop up in other Sendak books, packs her black leather bag with gold buckles and is off on a mission to answer the question implicit in ‘Higglety’s’ subtitle. The answer is
Justyn Rampa
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Sendak once again creates a children's book with very adult themes. Dissatisfaction with your life, clinging to the dream and possibility of what you could be, and what it really means to have everything. The story itself is about a terrier who has seemingly has everything but wants more. In particular, Jennie wants to be the leading lady in The World Mother Goose Theater. The book is rich and densely layered with the themes. The illustrations are intricate black and white drawings. It appears t ...more
Joseph
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"There must be more to life than having everything!"

This book was recommended to me very recently by a friend who loves Maurice Sendak with all of his heart. So, I definitely expected something lovely, but was surprised by just how much this story endeared and moved me.

This book is:
-delightful
-wisely written
-frothing at the brim with whimsy
-beautifully illustrated (I MEAN, COME ON! IT'S SENDAK!)
-full of good lessons

Also, there is a narration by Tammy Grimes that truly is remarkable. Her
Paul
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone -- adults and children
I found this book at a used book store. Many may be familiar with the author Maurice Sendak who also wrote “Where the Wild Things Are,” but this is not the same kind of book in many ways. From the lines of Mother Goose, Mr. Sendak elaborates a modern tale of multiple themes. Its comic surface is the tale of Jennie the Sealyham terrier, who packs her black leather bag with the gold buckles and goes out into the world to look for something more than everything. Besides the story, it is also the ma ...more
Robyn
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. And who doesn't love Maurice Sendak? This is a slightly longer book and has some humor that I noticed my almost-5-year-old didn't get. We had to read it over two sessions. When I was a kid, my favorite illustration was the one where Baby is about to bite Jennie's tail. I've always loved this book!
Carol Irvin
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love Maurice Sendak's books and this one doesn't disappoint!
Ivan
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story is cute, but the art work is staggeringly good. Make me want to rush out and get a dog just like Jennie.
Tamsen
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have thought about this book for years. I couldn't remember the title and though I had ransacked my parents' bookshelves, it wasn't one that had made the cut from childhood to empty nest.

I remember being fascinated by this book. I remember reading it, at about age 7, and being fixated on things - the dark theme, the deeper meanings I didn't understand, the illustrations.

I've been looking for this book for 22 years. All I could recall was a gigantic baby, an animal (I though penguin?) with a s
Sarah Connor
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
All I can remember is crying, from the beginning to the end.
Anna Williamson
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is about a dog named Jennie who has everything you could possibly want in life, but for some reason still can't find happiness in her life. To change the path of her life happiness, Jennie sets out to find something that makes her happy. Throughout this book she comes across a lion, milkman, baby and pig. As she meets all of these different characters, each one of them teaches her something different along the way. They all teach her ways to find happiness in her life and lead her to ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not find an y info on this book to scan... but his is by far on of the most incredibly oddly,beautifully,illustrated books I've ever owned in my life.
It is both funny and dark, weird and wonderful, with Jennie the terrier who packs her bag and sets off to find..." something more than everything".
She finds the World Mother Goose Theatre, and things progress from there in a most bizarre manner that I can only advise you to enjoy this on your own.
Gail Sacharski
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books from childhood--brought back many good memories reading it again.
Gloriamarie
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-story
I was often a bored little girl who was the star of my own imaginatons
Anna
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The audiobook by Tammy Grimes is a treasure.
blereader
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great sense of humor, fantastic art.
Kate Sumner
Mario Flores
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Late Elementary and Middle school-aged children
Wow. I was surprised to find a sense of darkness to this book, as most of Maurice Sendak's books usually seem more innocent and joyful. I really liked seeing Jennie (the protagonist) go through her new adventure as she tried to look for something/anything that would satisfy her. I liked finding out in the end that all of the other characters were actually auditioning her for a leading role in a local play. The text within the book and its dark and detailed pictures, indicated to me that it was w ...more
Alex Schultz
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The story follows a dog who is not happy with her life.So she leaves her house and goes on an adventure. While on her adventure, the dog faces new experiences at a theatre and comes to realize that she already had everything she ever needed. By having everything, you'll have nothing, and when you have nothing, you have everything. The strange saying made a lot of sense to the dog and she was contempt with her life again, going back home.

I enjoyed the pictures as well as the nursery rhymes. The
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
So very very strange, this book is. I read it to my 11 year old tonight and we laughed together at just how odd it is. We admired the images. We tried to make it make sense, to no avail. And yet, it's a special book. My copy is autographed by Maurice Sendak with whom I was lucky enough to have dinner when he came and spoke at Amherst College Hillel in 1993. I remember I bought it because my name is very close to Jennie, and I had never seen it before. So now, despite (or perhaps because of) how ...more
Erin Good
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this on display when I was exploring the children's section of our gorgeous library (East Baton Rouge has THE BEST public library system) and sat down for the quick read. I forgot how lovely Maurice Sendak's art is, with all its fine detail even in black and white. This is one of the most surrealist kid's books I've read and I really enjoyed it, partly because the dog ran off to find meaning in her life and partly because I was also reading Fifteen Dogs at the time, which ramped up the m ...more
Sassafras Lowrey
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it read as an original fairy tale style book. though i hadn't realized that it involved the story of a dog running away/being lost - HELLO TRIGGERS. i don't read books where bad things happen to dogs so had i known that was a plot (my own fault it's pretty clear if i had read the back of the book) i probably wouldn't have read it, BUT i love maurice sendak and this book was great
Michelle
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
What a trip. Splendid illustrations!
Katie
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fantasy
Prose: Modern Fantasy
Jennie, the Sealyham terrier, is in search of experience to become an actress.
  • The Juniper Tree and Other Tales from Grimm
  • Ooh-la-la: Max in Love
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
  • Brundibar
Maurice Bernard Sendak was an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after viewing Wa
“There must be more to life than having everything!” 316 likes