Start by marking “The Direct Path: Creating a Personal Journey to the Divine Using the World's Spiritual Traditions” as Want to Read:

Today more Americans than ever consider themselves to be "spiritual" people, and yet attendance at religious institutions is down, perhaps because many of us are searching for a way to encounter the divine on our own terms. In this groundbreaking, eloquently written work, renowned religious scholar Andrew Harvey builds on his twenty-five-year study of the world’s various ...more
Published March 20th 2001 by Harmony (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Direct Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Direct Path

Start your review of The Direct Path: Creating a Personal Journey to the Divine Using the World's Spiritual Traditions
Ludmila
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am so disappointed with this book. I really wanted to like it. During the Introduction part, I felt like Harvey could provide me with a lot of new, fresh, inspiring thoughts. I felt strong compassion and connection to him, when he explained that during his childhood he got to know various religions, he realized all of them lead in the same direction, and that you do not need any intermediary to reach the goal.

I was served something completely different from what I had imagined. In explaining
Ellen Keener
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An early book but worth reading again
Louise Silk
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This a good book with many practices to bring one along the path.

I particularly noted the part on Rites of Passage that isn't covered so much in other practice books: adaption of Phowa Transference of Consciousness practice moving yourself to a new free body of light and essentialized Tonglen when you take on your suffering to free all others of their suffering- moving your pain and suffering beyond the personal.
teri Ciacchi
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Marvelous, accessible, very helpful work.
Elisa Winter
Dec 22, 2012
Taisha Rucker
Aug 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Harvey is an author, religious scholar and teacher of mystic traditions, known primarily for his popular nonfiction books on spiritual or mystical themes, beginning with his 1983 A Journey in Ladakh.

From Wikipeadia
“Nothing that happens on the surface of the sea can alter the calm of its depths” 43 likes
“You will be graced by the necessary catastrophes.” 0 likes