Start by marking “The Wrong Side of the Tracks, Book 1” as Want to Read:
The Wrong Side of the Tracks, Book 1

The Wrong Side of the Tracks, Book 1

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
14 year old Stephen moves into a tough neighborhood and soon finds himself in love with Kristine, one of the prettiest girls in his class. Kristine appears to like him, too, but Stephen learns she “belongs” to a big, mean football player who’s three years older. Despite warnings from his best friend, Stephen moves ahead anyway. All hell breaks loose. Will Stephen allow him ...more
Published by For Readers of Ian McEwan, Stephen King, J.D. Salinger, Alice Sebold, Mark Twain Publishing Co. (first published May 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Side of the Tracks, Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrong Side of the Tracks, Book 1

Adisha Kariyawasam
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading the first book of this eye-opening 2 book series. I understand that this was one of Mike Wells' first novels and his inimitable writing style shines through every page.

Packed full of wonderful character studies in very awkward situations, this novel grabbed my attention throughout.

Although it is aimed at the young adult reader, more mature readers will enjoy it too. I was able to connect with it on many levels. It reminded me of one of my favourite Stephen King novels '
Michele Wesley
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent. I could not put this book down; read it in one day and could not wait to get into the second book!
Otis Teague
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow! I thought I was back in High School all over again. Good Book! Look forward to reading more from Mike Wells.
Nancy Fornataro
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
With his usual flair, Mike Wells brings us vivid young characters, and a scene at a dinner table that reminded me of our house!! thanks for a really fun read, Mike!!
John
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What a really good story. Great characters and a sort of "cliffhanger" ending. Can't wait to pick up Book 2!
Scott Benoit
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story, quick read but really good did not expect many things.
Terri
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read books 1 and 2 together as an audio book, so I will leave the same review under both books!

I loved this book. I would classify it as a young adult read, but I believe it is a family read, maybe between PG-13 and a R rating (only due to a few words). There are many things in here to discuss as a family on what went wrong & what would be the right way to handle things. I think these kind of stories are pretty close to reality for some of our kids and need to be discussed.

Steven is a go
Terry Crawford Palardy
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Young men begin as growing boys, and pass through challenges of adolescence surrounded by peers. The characters in this story are high school students, ninth grade and some eleventh, some wealthy and some without luxuries in their lives.

Their friendships are controlled in large part by their geography within their town. The haves are with the haves, and the have nots stay close to each other.

Mike Wells has a clear understand of adolescence demonstrated in the real and raw emotions he shows thro
Rhoda D'Ettore
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Master of character development, Mike Wells, pumps out another winner! Mr. Wells taps into a stage in life that can easily connect with all readers--adolescence. Riddled with the things, good and bad, that every teen experiences, this books pulls the reader in immediately. Peer pressure, teen crushes, drunken and broken homes, bullies, and friendships twist this story into a tale that could be told by anyone, yet can only be brought to life by one--Mr. Wells. From the annoying little brother you ...more
Janice Spina
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-reviewed
While reading this book I was reminded of Stephen King's, Stand By Me, with its' family problems and the hard luck attitude of the characters. These characters are so real and their lives so heart wrenching that I was quickly drawn into the story. The main character is someone we all knew growing up, a good kid who tries hard to fit in yet as the same time wants to blend in and not be noticed.

Mike Wells has done an outstanding job on this book creating a touching and emotional story that grips
Diana
Apr 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: boy-books
While I found the storyline intriguing and the characters endearing, I was disappointed that this story was cut short. It's not a first book in a series, but rather, the first half of a book. Nothing was resolved, therefore, it's unfinished. I think the author needs to be honest and just put both parts of the book together into one complete story instead of trying to say they are two separate novels. Disappointed in this incomplete novel. If I was reviewing both "books" as one novel, my rating w ...more
Chip Luonuansuu
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A coming of age story everyone can relate to. Two friends share the joys, and heartache of the teen years.
Margaret Aranda
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Compelling.
Cora Ramos
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
2 Part book. Excellent, engaging, well worth reading whether you are a teenager or adult. Wonderfully compelling read.
Jen
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
good book of coming of age
Annie
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
good story...full review after book 2!
Victoria Newman
  • Mortal Ghost
  • The Legend of Kimberly: Inheritance
  • Children of the Shaman
  • Almost Kings
  • Falling (Bits and Pieces #1)
  • A Measure of Disorder (Mother-Earth, #1)
  • The Domino Effect
  • Anna's Strength
  • Shadow of Darkness (Creature Kid, #1)
  • Darkspire Reaches
  • The Enchanted Orchards
  • Notes to Self
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Kismetology
  • Watchers of the Night
  • The In Between (The In Between, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
Email me at mike (at) mikewellsbooks.com or follow me on Twitter (@MikeWellsAuthor) and get a FREE copy of one of my bestselling books. I'm an American author best known for my Lust, Money & Murder series and and written over 20 other thriller and suspense novels. I also have taught in the Creative Writing program at Oxford. I'm known for my super fast-paced, 'unputdownable' books.

Please visit