Start by marking “The Elements of Scrum” as Want to Read:
The Elements of Scrum

The Elements of Scrum

The Elements of Scrum has gained an international following and a reputation for being perhaps the only book on software development that reads like a page-turner. Written by Chris Sims, a top scrum trainer and pioneer of experiential learning, and Hillary Louise Johnson, a novelist and business journalist, it demonstrates the principles, practices and pitfalls of the scru ...more
Published 2011 by Dymaxicon

To ask other readers questions about The Elements of Scrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elements of Scrum

Leona
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Excellent reference and starting point for anyone that wants to learn Agile Project Management.
Mary
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mary by: Lisa
Primarily a method for managing coding projects. I found a lot of ideas that I think will apply quite well to various kinds of library projects. Basically if you have a definable end product for your project I think scrum can help to improve your process.
Kaloyan Yankulov
The best practical introduction to the mechanics — roles, ceremonies, and artifacts, of Scrum. A must-have addition to the original Scrum book by Jeff Sutherland, if you're a rookie to the framework.
Tobias Mayer
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The best Scrum guide available. But sorry, no Scrum guide deserves 5 stars. I save those for the books I fall in love with :) Still, if you are looking to get started with Scrum this book is a must-have. It offers a very clear description of the process, roles, artifacts and ceremonies, combined with stories and words of wisdom. If you teach or coach Scrum, I recommend you have copies of this book to give to your students. As well as being useful it is elegantly written—something that cannot be ...more
Adil Hussain
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this book after reading the abridged version by the same authors. Like the abridged version this book is well written and the concepts well explained. The book opens with a good comparison of "waterfall" vs "agile" development. Following this is a very enjoyable exposition of the agile values and principles (individuals and interactions over processes and tools etc etc). Following this is the core part of the book: explanations of the roles (product owner, scrum master, team member), cerem ...more
Justin Aquino
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I think scrum is a culture more than a process. Contrary to the book, which kinda says its a principle (which makes it apples to oranges when your comparing a process to a principle), I believe you cannot apply Scrum on a company with a strict authoritarian hierarchy, poor communication (very political and need to save face), cannot accept risks and limitations (have never heard of an FMEA and do a lot of ass-covering work), and is not about the problem solving instead focusing on misdirection. ...more
Cassie Buckner
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably more like 3.5 Stars.

It was nice to see all the things I've gleaned from the Scrum process from trainings and hands-on experience expanded upon in one concise book, however it seemed to end abruptly. The last chapter was talked about a scrum-like practice that could be employed without any conclusion chapter. Or if the 'conclusion' came before the last chapter, it was misplaced.

It would have been nice to have more information on how scrum could be applied to non-software projects, althou
Waltermelo
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Los métodos tradicionales para gestionar el desarrollo de software son ineficaces e inflexibles. En lugar de definir un proyecto, comenzar a trabajar y no detenerse hasta que haya terminado, es esencial que sus clientes participen en el proceso desde el principio y que busquen consejos con frecuencia. Para producir la satisfacción del cliente que desea, necesita un proceso con la agilidad y flexibilidad para adaptarse a cualquier cambio. ¡Ese proceso es scrum!
Belden Schroeder
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and to-the-Point

This book definitely gets right to the definitions of every aspect of Scrum. I would have liked to see a little more real-world examples. One example being, “How does one manage defects that come up mid-sprint?” Do they go into the backlog or do they need to be done that sprint? Can they go into the backlog if they are critical and you are at the last sprint before the release?
Mike Hales
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just enough and not too much

I read this after the mini version by the same authors as I wanted to explore some areas in more depth but am under pressure as we’ve already started our project and new way of working.
The book gave me an incredible amount of practical tips and processes that I can start using tomorrow, so great on that front.
Well written with a light tone, this has given me what I need today but also a useful resource to revisit tomorrow.
May Ling
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is a super short book that describes a new-ish type of project management. The definitions are great if you're trying to find the words to describe what business structure is required for agile software management. Likely you're already doing parts of this, but how nice it always is to have someone just give you the words that help you even better understand why it works.
Atif Rahman
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book to evanvelize scrum with

I use to recommend the pocket book by varheyen to anyone starting out with scum but recently got briefed to go through this book at a project orientation. Sims book is very well written, very easy to read, quick and focuses on the crux of scrum and related tool sets.
Marian
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Weird jokes aside (architecture is like a...bra?), this is a concise, explanatory guide for anyone new to agile development. For someone with a few years' experience, there may not be anything new here.
Ahmed Chicktay
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simple, no fuss introduction to scrum.
Andrew F.
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book contains the right amount of detail. It's a good place to start and, most likely, finish with Scrum. You'll have about all the info you need to be proficient in less than 200 pages.
Nicci
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clear overview of process with lots of tips and tricks.
LUIS ALBERTO ARANGO PARDO
Good book with a practical approach on the topic
Sri Sarnath
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Elements of Scrum is a great book for a beginner. It is very easy to read and understand. Use cases is something I would loved to see in the book. I recommend this book for any beginner.
Jana Godsey
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book to assist with managing application development projects.
Stephanie
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Very simple and funny way to learn about how to use Agile and Scrum with your teams. Entertaining and very helpful!
Héctor Iván Patricio Moreno
Good enough

The explanation about the history of agile and Scrum is good, also the comparison between Waterfall and agile methods enlightened me.
It does a nice job explaining the main roles, artifacts and ceremonies in Scrum and giving hints about how could you implement it by I would like this book to give more advice about how to start with scrum and how to measure your progress. It feels a bit like only a dictionary about Scrum.
Eric
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought Elements of Scrum was a really good overview of agile techniques with a focus on pragmatics: the authors want to give you tools so you can improve your work. It doesn't get dragged into whether something is "really agile" or not. It presents a lot of agile development stuff as things that can each improve your work, though may work even better when combined.

The tone of the book was friendly and approachable. The general philosophy was "find what works for you and your team, and do more
Nicholas Marrone
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been practicing agile development for the past 5 months at my new company. Although I am new to the process, it was easy to organically pick up many of the processes and terminology of agile. However, there was something missing from my overall, big picture understanding. The Elements of Scrum was an excellent overview to the scrum process. The author uses clear and concise writing with appropriate diagrams to introduce scrum. I was impressed with the author's ability to explain a topic w ...more
Nicholas
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was much better than the last one I read about scrum. It was much more practical, explaining how to run story time, task estimations, daily standups, and so on. It was fairly short, but to the point. I feel like I understand scrum better after reading the book than I did before, and took away several idea to implement at work.

That said, I have two complaints about the book. First, neither section 1 nor section 3 were particularly useful. Section 1 spent far too many pages trying to con
Rosy
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
For those new to Agile, the Elements of Scrum is a decent primer to the methodology. For those already practicing Scrum, it is a good reminder of where the principles came from, away from Agile Purists who may be more dogmatic. Its point of view is best encapsulated by the following quote:

...a few hard core purists would tsk-tsk at you for being so loosey-goosey with your definitions. Our response to that is: it's a free country. People will still try to tell you what is and isn't scrum, but don
Christophe Addinquy
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
Looking for a gentle and well-written introduction to Scrum ? Here it is ! It's clearly not an in depth treatment of Scrum. It answer the questions : what is it ? Should I go this way ? Especially for managers who don't want a barbarian book filled with technical stuff. Once you've decided to start with it, it will be the time to checkout a more comprehensive textbook.
On the downside, the content is super-classical, no good surprise in it. But again, it's well-writer (by a real writer) and it's
Josh Hamacher
I figured I should bone up on the scrum philosophy after taking over the scrum master role for my team at work. This book was very highly rated on Amazon and available on the Kindle - a perfect impulse buy.

Unfortunately, at least for me, it's very much an introduction. It's a well-written, fast, informative read - but it's obviously aimed at people with no real exposure to scrum. If you've been doing scrum for a few years, it will likely be mostly a review. That's not to say I didn't learn a few
Lisa
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable, particularly for someone with no programming experience. This book provides a great overview of the concepts of Scrum and straightforward examples of those concepts in practice. Probably too simplistic for most programmers, who are likely exposed to different ways to work during their education, but a must-read for anyone else working in the tech industry.

It would be interesting to see a follow-up from these authors with examples of Scrum being used as a general management tool.
Alex Devero
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
Traditional methods for managing software development are ineffective and inflexible. Instead of defining a project, getting to work and not stopping until you’re finished, it’s essential to bring your customers into the process early on and seek advice frequently. To produce the customer satisfaction you want, you need a process with the agility and flexibility to adapt to any change. That process is scrum!
Chris
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Elements of Scrum presents a good intermediate introduction into the SCRUM process. After reading it, you'll understand the key terminology, processes as well as basic SCRUM artefacts. The book is well written and a relatively easy read if you know the basics of project management. Great introduction to those who are joining an organisation that utilises SCRUM or if your counterpart organisation utilises SCRUM as their delivery methodology.
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Fifty Quick Ideas to Improve Your User Stories
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Artful Making: What Managers Need to Know about How Artists Work
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Slack: Getting Past Burnout, Busywork, and the Myth of Total Efficiency
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • The Nature of Software Development
  • The Retrospective Handbook: A guide for agile teams
  • The Leprechauns of Software Engineering
  • Paper Prototyping: The Fast and Easy Way to Design and Refine User Interfaces
  • The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Leadership Agility: Five Levels of Mastery for Anticipating and Initiating Change
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Chris Sims has played roleplaying games for 30 years, and he has helped produce games for nearly 10. Before he laired in the Seattle exurbs, he was an editor/designer at Wizards of the Coast. There, he worked Duel Masters, Dungeons & Dragons, and Magic: The Gathering.
“describes the role of the product owner: “You must recognize that through your actions—writing user stories and acceptance tests, prioritizing user stories by business value, deciding which user stories are developed next, providing rapid feedback, etc—you” 0 likes
“Agile processes of all kinds share one thing: they embrace change, approaching it as an opportunity for growth, rather than an obstacle.” 0 likes