Start by marking “Making Sense of Change Management: A Complete Guide to the Models, Tools & Techniques of Organizational Change” as Want to Read:

""In business, either you're an agent of change, or you're destined to become a victim of change."" -- Norm Brodsky in Inc Magazine
Published April 1st 2004 by Kogan Page (first published January 29th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Making Sense of Change Management, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Making Sense of Change Management: A Complete Guide to the Models, Tools & Techniques of Organizational Change
Zaher Alhaj
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Undoubtedly, Mike and Esther made great efforts to consolidate and refine many change management schools of thought and practices in one classic text, in an amazingly comprehensive and structured way. I do highly recommend this reference to anybody (novice or expert) who wants to know more or work professionally in this highly complicated and convoluted area: Organizational Change Management. The appeal of this book lies in its comprehensiveness, as it provides the full landscape of change manag ...more
Richard Newton
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to realise how good this book is. I have had versions of it for some years and dipped into it on and off, but eventually I read it end-to-end (which the authors discourage), and really liked what I read. The authors have a great balance of theory and practical knowledge.

I like the first part of the book and the differentiation between individual, team and organisational change which is essential for the change practitioner to understand. Yet few writers really get
Michael Brady
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Making Sense of Leadership: Exploring the Five Key Roles Used by Effective Leaders, by Esther Cameron and Mike Green is another fine example of leadership research effectively and concisely repackaged for appreciation and application by a popular audience. Well worth a look if understanding leadership is your thing.
Darren
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Billed as a complete guide to the models, tools and techniques of organizational change, this book has been revised and refreshed to provide a deep look at the theory and practice of change management.

This is far from a dry, out-of-touch academic textbook on the subject, even though the topic can be fairly heavy-going by nature, and the author utilises many case studies to hopefully bring the subject to life for the reader by practical examples. Of course, latest research and the current best p
Vince Lammas
As a person who is pretty widely read in this area, I wasn't surprised to find many of the models referred to in this book were very familiar. If someone is looking for a useful starting point to consider approaches to change, this book would be an excellent choice.

I especially liked the way the authors compared and contrasted different approaches ... some really interesting thoughts here. I was also pleased to find some models and ideas that were new to me.

As I think abo
Christine
A great overview of change management for those wanting to know more. Provides excellent explanations of theories and practical examples of their application in "real" terms. A great addition to the bookshelf for anyone involved in implementing changes in the workplace.
Yannis
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book really lays out well things leaders need to cater for when working with individuals, teams and org culture with psychology in mind.

Thinking about feelings and emotions of individuals and teams which impacts the change and the culture and how you might develop this.
Tan Clover
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Practical, usable - written in a language and with examples that leaders can btoh use and share.
Dorotea
Comprehensive cluster of all the literature on change management
Daniel Lambauer
I have stopped reading this book half way through. It is thoughtprovoking, but I dont know if change management can be easily taught in a text book style. may pick it up again in future.
Robert
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing

Cameron and Green's objective is to help their reader understand "why change happens, how change happens, and what needs to be done to make change a more welcoming concept" by carefully reviewing a wealth of resources that provide models, tools, and techniques of organizational change. Their purpose is not to explain how to plan and then implement a change initiative program. Those in need of guidance to do that should seek it elsewhere. The material in this volume is carefully organized within
Claire
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be a leader, I read a little bit of this book, then decided I didn't need any more, since I know what kind of leader I am already, having gone through so many leadership conferences.
Shoving myself into one of those little boxes is puerile.

I liked the attempt to classify the possibilities, though, and the historical notes of "Hey, Winston Churchill's like this one, Vladimir Putin's like this one..." et cetera, but my patience ran low.
Beverley
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very good book that provides an excellent grounding in understanding the change process and how it effects individuals, teams and the organisation as a whole. There are many models and tools talked about with simplified understanding, along with objective and subjective comments. A must for any manager/leader going through change within their organisation. There is now a 2nd edition out.
Mike
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice to see the research supports my approach to learning and teaching about leading and managing change! Puts theory into practice!! YES!!!! Finally, several very practical and researched approaches in addition to KOTTER!
Gerard Chiva
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of the organizational change ecosystem. Must read for change agents, coaches and anyone involved in organizational change.
Secun

• Crunch Point: The 21 Secrets to Succeeding When It Matters Most
  • Painless Grammar
  • Shawls and Scarves: The Best of Knitter's Magazine
  • Strategic Human Resource Management: A Guide to Action
  • Emotional Intelligence for Project Managers: The People Skills You Need to Achieve Outstanding Results
  • 500 Essential Graphic Novels
  • A Field Guide to Fantastical Beasts: An Atlas of Fabulous Creatures, Enchanted Beings, and Magical Monsters
  • Anger Management for Dummies
  • How People Tick: A Guide to Over 50 Types of Difficult People and How to Handle Them
  • Hard Goals: The Secret to Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • Organization Development and Change
  • The Adult Learner: The Definitive Classic in Adult Education and Human Resource Development
  • Leading Quietly: An Unorthodox Guide to Doing the Right Thing
  • How to Be a Positive Leader: Small Actions, Big Impact
“Once individuals have the motivation to do something different, the whole world can begin to change. The” 2 likes