Start by marking “Return to Peyton Place” as Want to Read:
Return to Peyton Place

Return to Peyton Place (Peyton Place #2)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  771 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
x
Published (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Return to Peyton Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Peyton Place

Good Books Good Friends
Plutôt un 3,5. J'étais ravie de retrouver Peyton Place et ses habitants mais il m'a manqué le plaisir de la découverte et j'ai eu l'impression que certaines histoires étaient un peu bâclées.
Olesya
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mislim da je najveći razlog zašto volim romane ''Gradić Payton'' i ''Povratak u gradić Payton'' upravo taj što se malograđanština opisana u romanu može primjeniti na svako malo mjesto bilo ono u Americi ili bilo gdje drugdje. Živeći u malom selu u kojem svako sve zna, nisam mogla ne poistovjetiti se s nekim likovima, događajima u romanima.
Nije ni čudo što su ovi romani izazvali tolike senzacije 1956. kada su se pojavili na sceni, napisani iz pera, tada nepoznate Grace Metalious, inače 32-godišn
Tiny Pants
Dec 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Weirdly, nearly a year after reading Peyton Place I finally got around to the sequel. I managed to procure a copy of it literally last January, but it was while I was on an all-around depressing vacation, and to top it off, the woman who sold it to me was just an absolute bitch. Seriously. Helpful hint: If you're running a decrepit used bookstore in an out-of-the-way strip mall in Palm Springs, you should be grateful anyone's coming in at all, not making fun of their taste and then looking up th ...more
Debra
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I do love this old classic, Connie Mackenzie's new husbands name in Peyton Place was Tomas Makris and in Return to Peyton Place his name is Michael Rossi....this was confusing until I did a little research about the reason for this...apparently the character of Tomas Makris, bore the name and description of a resident and co-worker of Metalious's school teacher husband...he sued for libel and won an out-of-court settlement for $60,000...Tom Makris was renamed Michael Rossi....
Roberta
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, americana
Ritorno a Peyton Place non è propriamente un sequel di Peyton Place in quanto segue principalmente la storia di Allison MacKenzie e del successo del suo romanzo. E' probabile che l'autrice stesse cercando di dire la sua con questo libro: a quanto pare lo scrisse solo perché la 20th Century Fox, che aveve già girato il film basato sul primo libro, decise di farne un seguito. Grace Metalious non era d'accordo ma lo studio decise comunque di proseguire e a lei non restò che l'opzione di raccontare ...more
Susan Liston
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Just read an article about Grace Metalious and she wrote this book solely because she needed the money. But as she was drinking a fifth of liquor a day, the first manuscript was so unintelligible a ghostwriter had to be hired to clean it up. Some of the story is autobiographical, how a small town reacts to the author of a salacious book about a small town (her teacher husband really did lose his job the way her step-father in the book does) and how she dealt with the Hollywood adaptation. But it ...more
Rebecca
It's not a bad book, but it's not Peyton Place. The place, the characters are the same (except for Tom who is became Mike Rossi, which is a very greek name if you wanna know) but the intentions of the book are completely different. For me, at least.
It's the story of Allison, not of the city...but maybe I was expecting too much because I've just finished to read the first one and I've deeply loved it.
As I said it's not a bad book, it's enjoyable and funny and gossipfull (t's not even a word I thi
Lisa-Jaine
My advice don't read the foreword it is full of spoilers, I only read half before moving on to the novel.

The first novel had us meeting the town characters and uncovering their secrets and weaknesses whereas this one has less of the town members and is totally focused on Allison as the main character who sells her book and discovers what publishing really is like. To me this seemed like Grace Metalious' chance to speak about her disappointment of the TV series and films based on her books.

I di
Sarah Craighead
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am glad that this one is over because holy crap, I don't think my poor bones can handle any more drama. This one read a little more like an auto-biography of the author, but I didn't mind. I was happy to see my characters again, and more than a little troubled at some of the freak men they apparently had walking around in 1950's New Hampshire.
Jon
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More secret shenanigans in the town but this time with the authoress being targeted for telling the world about them. Good, juicy goings-on partially tempered by a "been there, done that" sense. Made into a movie which eliminated one of the key plot points (attempted murder that backfires.)
  • Among the Dead
  • Where Love Has Gone
  • E! Entertainment
  • Almost Innocent
  • Judy Garland
  • Hearts
  • Rush to Judgment: A Critique of the Warren Commission's Inquiry into the Murder of President
  • A Mirror for Witches
  • Drei Männer im Schnee
  • The Snake Pit
  • Making Time: Lillian Moller Gilbreth -- A Life Beyond Cheaper by the Dozen
  • The Annunciation
Grace Metalious was an American author, best known for the controversial novel Peyton Place.

She was born into poverty and a broken home as Marie Grace de Repentigny in the mill town of Manchester, New Hampshire. Blessed with the gift of imagination, she was driven to write from an early age. After graduating from Manchester High School Central, she married George Metalious in 1943, became a housew
More about Grace Metalious...

Peyton Place (2 books)