Start by marking “11 Experiments That Failed” as Want to Read:
11 Experiments That Failed

11 Experiments That Failed

Is it possible to eat snowballs doused in ketchup—and nothing else—all winter? Can a washing machine wash dishes? By reading the step-by-step instructions, kids can discover the answers to such all-important questions along with the book's curious narrator. Here are 12 "hypotheses," as well as lists of "what you need," "what to do," and "what happened" that are sure to mak ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about 11 Experiments That Failed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 11 Experiments That Failed

Feb 28, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

History with all its facts, dates, theories, and changes always inspired me to read, study, and learn as a kid. So my love and fascination with science experiments has always shocked me a bit. Now mind you—science class *snooze, bore, drool* rarely held my attention. (*Exception: The Periodical Table of Elements section always fascinated me. I researched every single element and property….Anywho) I mean the handmade, do around the house, hope the kitchen doesn’t blow up kind of experiments! Let’
Jessica
Jan 13, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, I thought that 11 Experiments That Failed would be about historical experiments that failed, like... uh, I can't even think of any. But you know what I mean. However, it turned out to be something a lot more whimsical and fun than that. It's about a nameless girl who performs 11 "science experiments." Each would be a stretch to call "experiments," given that the hypotheses are things like, "A kid can survive on a diet of snowballs and ketchup." But they're really fun and what's ...more
Tasha
Sep 27, 2011 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A series of experiments take place in this book, each one funnier than the next. They attempt to answer questions like: Can a kid make it through the winter eating only snow and ketchup? Do dogs like to be covered in glitter? Will a piece of bologna fly like a Frisbee? The only way to find out is for the protagonist to test it scientifically. That means trying to eat only ketchup and snow and observing the results. Sprinkling her dog with glitter to see what happens. Testing flight capabilities ...more
katayoun Masoodi
Jan 07, 2017 katayoun Masoodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, z-humor, ebook
so happy that beavers were mentioned!!!
Dolly
May 22, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a hilarious book about a very curious and imaginative girl who conducts a series of experiments to answer her questions. My husband has often encouraged our girls to answer a question by posing a hypothesis, conducting an experiment, and observing the results. He encourages this empirical exploration in order for our girls to discover the truth for themselves, rather than just being told.

The questions and experiments that the little girl comes up with are quite creative and certainly ev
Valerie Barnhart
1. Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty copyright 2013. Twin text for celebration of achievement of inventors nonfiction set.

2. I selected this book to demonstrate the scientific method for students. It takes a look at a step-by-step process to reach the result. In relation to Rosie, students can determine whether or not the author of the 11 Experiments felt failure or had things turn out differently than expected. She didn't let failure of embarrassment stop her from trying things again.

3. Th
Amy
May 03, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My niece read this on her own over the weekend, and then we read it together today. I asked her what she thought of it, and she said, "I *loved* it! It was just great! And it was funny, and it also inspired me to try my own science experiment!" Naturally, I was delighted by this. Her question was, "Will regular liquids turn into fizzy liquids?" According to her, her hypothesis was, "Yes. If I stir them." Apparently her hypothesis turned out to be correct, especially with vigorous stirring. :-) 1 ...more
A delightful follow-up to 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore, both text and art avoid a sophomore slump. There is as much predictability in the text, but this time it is format rather than words, as the young troublemaker keeps scientific notes about hypotheses, procedures, and observations, an interesting twist for a struggling reader. Similarly, the illustrations have been made with the same media and process, but Carpenter has upped the collage feeling in a way that supports the text's l ...more
Nick
Oct 18, 2011 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, picture-book
This clever story clearly demonstrates the difference between intelligence and wisdom, as the little girl tries various "experiments" with no real idea of the possible consequences.
Ranging from a trial diet of ketchup snowballs to the testing of bologna frisbees, her ideas are hilarious, and generally doomed from the start. Still, her brain is fertile, tenacious and amazingly warped. I expect her to grow up to be a mad scientist of the finest caliber.
Any kid who has ever tried to do something wh
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
The author of 17 Things I’m Not Allowed to Do comes up with another list book. This time, our main character shows all the experiments she tried that failed, cleverly revealing in the process the quirky quality of children’s thinking. Absolutely delightful.

“Question:
What makes fungus grow?

Hypothesis:
If left in a closet, food will rot and become a colorful fungus garden.

What You Need:
Brother’s shoes
Bread and cheese
Water

What to Do:
1. Place food inside shoes.
2. Sprinkle with water.
3. Hide shoes in
paula
Ok, stop: the peaceful, rapturous expression on our girl scientist's face as she lets fly a slice of bologna in the school cafeteria would have sold me on this book even if I had not already been giggling, snorting, and cackling on almost every page prior.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Dianna
Oct 06, 2011 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect book for budding scientists. My five-year-old laughed his way through. We get a question, hypothesis, instructions, and conclusions for each experiment, from "What makes fungus grow?" to "Will a piece of bologna fly like a Frisbee?" While there is more mischief than science going on in this book, it is a solid, silly introduction to the scientific method.

The illustrations are an interesting combination of ink and digital media. I liked them.
Stephanie
The increasingly-rare picture book that holds the 2nd grader's attention and tickles his sense of humor. I loved the premise, the illustrations, and the silliness.
Oct 17, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beckah
Shelves: j-non-fiction
This was very funny. I want to read it to my visiting 2nd graders, even though I'd planned this whole guessing game theme--experiments are kind of games, right!?
Tara
Oct 20, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Not as good as 17 things i'm not allowed to do anymore but a laugh out loud kind of book
Jo Oehrlein
This has a format of question, hypothesis, what you need, what to do, and what happened.

I initially thought this was going to be out real scientists with failed experiments.

Instead, it's made of kid questions.
* Can a kid make it through the winter eating only snow and ketchup?
* What makes fungus grow? (involves growing things in her brother's shoe)
* Would gerbils like bigger wheels? (involves a ferris wheel)
* Do dogs like to be covered in glitter? (results in a pink backyard)
* What is the best w
Amani Moore
May 15, 2017 Amani Moore rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was boring
Maria Waltner
Very much like the other - 17 things I can't do anymore - with a precocious kid that doesn't really think things through. Her poor mother...
bernie sanders
May 15, 2017 bernie sanders rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. This book was a really funny book.
Angela
Jun 01, 2017 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny! Love her scientific method and the illustrations. Very entertaining.
Jordan
May 15, 2017 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was funny that his experiments failed
Erin Murphy
Jul 26, 2017 Erin Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute book that made me laugh.
Cassandra Gelvin
How to see the world as a scientist.

It's cute. It kind of depicts some experiments that this girl is performing. It does a good job detailing the question, the hypothesis, the necessary ingredients, and the steps that she followed, as well as the results. They're all very weird experiments. There's not a lot of detail like you would have in a real scientific report.

It seems like it's a parent writing down things that the child did in the style of experiments. It's kind of formalizing the experim
Briana
Mar 13, 2017 Briana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to introduce scientific concepts! Has lots of clever ideas and shows how science can appear in daily life. Would be a great kickoff book for a science fair!
Sarah DeWalt
"11 Experiments that Failed" is much of a story but it is an easy story for children to relate to and even learn from. It's about this girls who conducts a series of silly experiments that all fail miserable and she winds up getting herself in a lot of trouble. These silly experiments include watering plants with perfume, just to see if it would work, or trying to make stinky cheese less stinky by spray perfume on them. What ended up happening was she got in lot of trouble with her mother using ...more
Michelle McBeth
SUMMARY: A young girl sets out to prove 11 experiments that unfortunately fail and some that have some pretty bad consequences. One such experiment is "Do dogs like to be covered in glitter?"

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations were created with a mix of pen and ink and digital work. There are real items inserted among the drawings giving them a more 3D look. The pictures are quite nice, full of interesting details for older readers and fun.

THE GOOD: This book starts out really well with a funny exp
Amber Murphy
1.) Opening for 11 Experiments that Failed:

The book we are going to read today is 11 Experiments that Failed by Jenny Offill and Nancy Carpenter. Do you remember a book we have read recently by these authors, that has a similar title? (Student response) In this book, the ornery little girl from our previous story is back! This time she is recalling some experiments that did not work! Have you had any experiences that have not worked out? (Student Response)
I want you to listen to some of her exp
Conico
Oct 26, 2013 Conico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: educators, children
This is one of the best children's science books that I've read. It does a good job showing the scientific method of investigation with Seuss like experiments. What a great way to show kids that any question can be approached scientifically! The experiments were fun, silly, and mischievous. My favorites were seeing if dogs like glitter and growing a fungus garden in a shoe.

Aside from enthusiastically presenting science that can be done by anyone, anywhere, and with anything, the writers also pr
Ashley
I read "11 Experiments That Failed" with my six-year-old nephew, a veritable connoisseur of both the silly and the scientific. While we got some mild amusement out of it, the premise -- "here are some goofy ideas that would never work as real experiments" -- grew tiresome for us both quickly. If it had gone past eleven experiments, I don't think he would have wanted to finish.

The experiments don't really change their model/format, and the author missed a chance to add a little suspense to get t
  • I Wanna New Room
  • The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade
  • This Plus That: Life's Little Equations
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Clever Jack Takes the Cake
Jenny Offill is an American author born in Massachusetts. Her first novel Last Things was published in 1999 was a New York Times Notable book and a finalist for the L.A Times First Book Award.

She is also the co-editor with Elissa Schappell of two anthologies of essays and the author of several children's books She teaches in the MFA programs at Brooklyn College, Columbia University and Queens Univ
More about Jenny Offill...