Start by marking “Effective Java Programming Language Guide” as Want to Read:
Effective Java Programming Language Guide

Effective Java Programming Language Guide

A new edition of this title is available, ISBN-10: 0321356683 ISBN-13: 9780321356680

Published June 15th 2001 by Addison-Wesley (first published June 5th 2001)

Start your review of Effective Java Programming Language Guide
Eric
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: java, techie
This is the single best book I have seen or read about Java to date. Bloch, who has been involved in the development of the latest versions of the Java language and specification, does not teach how to write Java code; he teaches how to write GOOD Java code.

This is a MUST READ for anyone who plans to write more than a little bit of Java code. But not only that, it is fairly easy to read and rather interesting.

I had a few second thoughts after writing the review above, so I thought I'd better add
Andrew
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Score: 3.5/5

Effective Java: even the title is concise and to-the-point, like the rest of the book's writing. This is not a book for beginners, but rather a book on general software design concepts, particularly with respect to Java itself. The book is organized into a few dozen "items", most of which follow this format:
1) "Here's a suggestion. You should probably follow it."
2) "Here's an example of following it, here's an example of why not following it is bad, and here's an example of when you
Christian Brumm
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs-software
Effective Java is THE BOOK you want to read first when you start writing Java code professionally (for a living).

In the style of Scott Meyer's C++ books, Joshua Bloch - the head behind several modern Java libraries - presents the essential tricks of the trade and best practises when it comes to Java programming. This is essential when you want to write highly maintainable, efficient modern Java code.

The second edition puts a lot of emphasis on all the new language features that came with Java 5
Rafi
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book as a recommended reading for the Java developers at Google. I found many "items" described in this book quite useful in real-life coding. Sometimes the author has gone a little too far to describe a single item, but overall the book is very well written.
Miloš Milivojević
Well, I've been staring at the screen and trying to rate this book for at least 20 minutes, all the while changing my mind every other minute or so. Writing a review for it is making me equally conflicted but at least in the review I'm not limited to only two options (3 or 4 stars, if anyone's wondering).

First thing to say is that Joshua Bloch is a competent enough author - a bit dry but always to the point, clear, precise and thorough. And he really knows his Java - so much so that I regret not
Anton Petrov
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english, mye, read-code
By far the best programming book I have ever read to date.
Ashkan Entezari
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book about Java and its different features. If you are a Java programmer, you will benefit a lot and learn a lot by reading this book. Whenever you want to pick up this book, make sure you take the latest edition as it changes a lot to accommodate new updates in the language and its libraries.

I have summarized the entire book (3rd edition) here!

This includes a summary of each item with its code examples in a way that is more concise and understandable.
Andrijana
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some items were a little bit advanced for me as a beginner. Not so much in a sense that they were hard to understand, but they seemed so far away from me to even think about them at the first place or grasp their importance. But, I'm pretty sure that as my programming career continues I'll pick up this book as a reference and be able to appreciate it more.
Jonathan Zanella
I started reading it to improve my knowledge of java and it was exactly what I found.
The books is separated in 78 items with begin and end, so reading an item who is 2 to 3 pages long, you end with a new approach to something.
It is really an enjoyable experience :)
Rodrigo Almeida
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The introduction and middle of the book are awesome, with incredible new informations about Java. After, there are some chapters very boring, for example, about the JavaDoc.
Even if the book still very good.
Michael
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read_2009, read_2007
Although it is a bit outdated, 90% of the book contains great advise for any Java programmer. If you have not read this then you do not know how to program Java.
-m
Rob
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: java, 2020
Recommended for anyone who is doing full time professional Java development. Bloch well-codifies a lot of the otherwise cargo-culted tribal knowledge and conventions that are out there, as well as shedding light on many of the weird cases that we run into everyday. And/but/so then there's a bunch of items that are NOT a part of my everyday ... though I'm sure that's just a matter of circumstance, and for someone out there: they are.

It gets pretty technical in places and by necessity can get into
Farplaneguide
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book by asking a simple question, which books are mandatory reading to learn about Java. Once I finished it I realized it also answered another question, "which books are recommended reading for any software developer". Often times when trying to learn a new language or improve knowledge on a familiar one, it feels like most available literature is aimed at students learning to code or at experienced developers trying to improve some highly technical knowledge. The books that I find ...more
Giovani Facchini
This is an amazing book for Java developers and it shows that Joshua really knows his stuff. It clarifies and shows in deep details the internals of Java and how it should be used in order for you to be more effective.

It is a great reading and I strongly recommend it. It is important to notice that as this book shows 90 recommendations, it is hard for the reader to remember everything, so you should use it as a reference book when you are going to implement something. Personally, I have printed
Erik Nilson
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The very best book about this topic. I learned lot from this book — thanks to authors.
Andrzej Szelemetko
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read the 3rd edition of this book, which is updated for Java 8. It’s a collection of 90 best practices for developers. Those practices cover a wide range of mostly used Java features, including generics, exceptions, concurrency, serialization, lambdas and many others.

A lot of relevant code examples showing both the good and the bad code followed by a robust explanation. The focus is on developers who create APIs that others will use, however IMHO everyone writing in Java would benefit fr
Francis
Jun 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a unique and very worthwhile work for experienced Java developers who want to take their Java skills to the next level. It assumes that the reader is fully comfortable programming in Java, and gives a collection of tips on how to exploit certain language features, how to avoid various pitfalls, and so forth. The book makes frequent reference to design patterns, but it is not a design patterns book. It is also distinct from a “software engineering” book, but rather concentrates on aspects ...more
Tomasz
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, technical, 2009
If most programmers consider Core Java to be the best book for beginners, they should think about “Effective Java” as the best book for intermediate and more advanced Java programmers.
After this book my awareness about how good Java code should look like improved a lot. I learnt a lot of interesting and useful approaches to developing code in different situations. And, in spite of being heavily packed of knowledge, I can not say that reading this book was difficult. It was a nice lecture althoug
John Chilton
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you program Java, you must read this book. You won't learn any new syntax, language feature, library, or framework, but you will be a much better programmer as a result of reading this book. Its the best anything on Java I have read. I don't agree with 100% of the material in this book, but Joshua Bloch has a strong, clear opinions and he argues them well. This book is so good, I think you should read it even if you aren't a Java programmer but program C#, C++, or something else along those l ...more
Dimitko
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book impressed me with the amount of practical use-cases of Java subtleties and intricacies -- for example, the proper implementation of "equals" method in classes.

The author not only shows us some common misconceptions about the "low level" Java mechanics (not the native level, but the basics of the language and the Java API), but also gives us many examples from his rich carreer.

It is my opinion that understanding the basics of Java (it turns out many of us don't) is the key to avoiding m
Denis
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is simply brilliant. Updated to the most recent language specification it covers a lot of issues and caveats that almost every Java developer encounters every day. The author is the guy who has designed and implemented the Collections framework and he knows his subject very well. This book can and definitely will increase one's productivity dramatically. The only obvious prerequisite is that a reader should already know and have experience in Java. Otherwise it would be better to inves ...more
Szymon
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely "Must Read" book for every Java developer. I made a huge mistake by postponing reading this book until this year. Most of the ideas presented have already been known to me, but I would have made definitely less mistakes if I read it when I have been learning Java at the university or when I moved from PHP to Java in 2012. I'm sure that I will "scan" it from time to time in the future, just to refresh my memory on some key concepts.
Venkat Pedapati
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you have already done a few years of programming in an object oriented programming language like Java, this book might make you very uncomfortable. More than saying what to do, this book stresses on what not to do in Java and you'll thank for it in the long term.

The tips are organised into items each of few pages and can be read independently.
Cristian Stan
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
The author of this book is a name you will often encounter in the javadoc of some very important and hard classes from JDK itself. Is a book that tries to offer a list of useful advices for every professional Java developer but takes the time to explain why not just the how. A lot of useful stuff can be learned.
Steve
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much like the other editions, an excellent reference about how to write idiomatically correct Java. Useful for newer programmers as well as for those who have been programming for a while in Java. It won’t tell you all you need to know, but will help you avoid problems. I expect that this will have a valuable place on my desk as I code.
Ryanjustus
Sep 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that I would recommend every Java developer have in his library. This book covers the best practices aspects of programming Java that are pretty hard to pick up without years and years of trial and error and seeing what works best.
Jeffrey
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Easy to read for a programming book. Great information about the best way to use java. Also contains many sections detailing how changes in java affect how you should implement your code.

Excellent for Java developers keeping current on Java
Owen Lindsell
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Points out loads of really important pitfalls that you really should know if you want to write quality code. In a style that's informative and enjoyable.
Zach Danielson
Liked the 1st Edition so much I paid for the updated and expanded 2nd Edition. My co-workers and I are known to quote from St. Bloch when arguing for better software design.
Girish B
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Java book ever! Must read for every Java developer!!!

• Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Learning the art of programming, like most other disciplines, consists of first learning the rules and then learning when to break them.” 6 likes
“One advantage of static factory methods is that, unlike constructors, they have names.” 5 likes