Start by marking “The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life” as Want to Read:
The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life

The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life

For many of us, the return of Zen conjures up images of rock gardens and gently flowing waterfalls. We think of mindfulness and meditation, immersion in a state of being where meaning is found through simplicity. Zen lore has been absorbed by Western practitioners and pop culture alike, yet there is a specific area of this ancient tradition that hasn’t been fully explored ...more
Published May 31st 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published June 8th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Zen of Creativity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zen of Creativity

Start your review of The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: zen, creativity
Sometimes it's nice to take a step back and look at the whole picture. That's what happened when I read this book. Instead of focusing on creating something I focused on getting into that place where creating happens. It was a good break and I think I will take that shift into my everyday life.
Valerie
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Keenan
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
This book came to me at a time when I needed to rethink my creative life -- I was putting tremendous "effort" into my writing, but little was working. This book had a quieting effect on me and taught me something about the intangible creative process as well as patience (at least where my process is concerned). Excellent, too, for anyone interested in Zen Buddhism.
Roben
Feb 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I read The Zen of Creativity over a period of a year. Quiet and thoughtful, John Daido Loori brought a sense of wonder into my processes of art.
Sarah Booth
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a fantastic book about the creative process and how to cultivate it. Having been lucky enough to have met this man before he died I thought he was an individual of great integrity and knew what he was talking about. You never feel feel as if someone is trying to sell you some snake oil. I enjoyed the writing and found the material greatly inspiring. I plan on reading it again. I gave a couple of people a copy of this book.
Diane
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
I think this is a book geared toward the artist who is just starting out or perhaps an artist who needs a kick-start for their work.

The book seems to fall into three sections: looking at your art in a different way, how to meditate, and Zen koans.

If you are searching with your art work and have a spiritual bent you may enjoy this book.
Robyn
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rather than write a critical review, I have instead listed notes taken during my reading of this book. Perhaps this will help others determine whether or not the book is a good personal fit.

Author attended photography workshop led by Minor White.

Page 55 - Still point - being in the moment
“The first step to access the still point is simply to quiet down. We are constantly talking to ourselves. We spend our time preoccupied with the past, which doesn’t exist — it’s already happened. Or we are preo
Ginette
This is one of those books you don't really appreciate until you actually have had time to marinate the ideas set forth and put some of them to use. If anything, I've become more aware and appreciative of the small and seemingly unimportant things around me; I've been believing in myself more as I have been letting ideas flow without prejudice; and I have newfound artistic inspiration, which hasn't happened in a long long time. Now I just need to dig out my art supplies and visit the art store.
Dwan Dawson-Tape
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zen, buddhist, art
Such a strong contrast to the last Zen book I read (Everyday Zen, by Joko Beck). It will definitely affect my approach to both my Zen practice and my creative explorations.

That said, this is ultimately a Zen text - in other locations I've seen reviewers complain that it wasn't what they were expecting, but in each of these cases, as best I can determine, the reviewer was more interested in exploring his or her creativity and was not interested in deepening his/her understanding of Zen.
Alejandro
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really really really enjoyed this. It worked like a koan. It stirred up an understanding in me that goes beyond words.

I wish the images were reproduced better, however, because they are such an intrinsic part of what he is talking about.
Katrina Sark
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
p.21 – “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

p.54 – “As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” (Nelson Mandela)

p.84 – Each artist expresses through art his unique way of experiencing life. This is the essence of creation. Through our art we bring into existence something that did not previously exist. We enlarge the universe.

The act of creation begins with the need to express on
Wojtek
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has changed my approach to art practice, as well as directed me in new ways of looking at my business work. Loori speaks softly, but his words have this crushing power that moves cogs in our brains when we need to have some of them moved. I think that it's also one of better introductions to Zen in the context of art — as Loori was a photographer himself (do check his work out), his vocabulary and sense of aesthetics would appeal to a serious image-maker.
Susan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't read hardly any books two times, but I would
give this a try. In a way, the statement is simple -
get the clutter of your life tamed and experience
the present moment. Theory and execution, however,
are two different things.
Jim Ringel
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You do not need to be a Zen practitioner to benefit from John Daido Loori’s insights. But if you’re pursuing the artist’s path—whether in visual, musical, or the written arts—you may be half-way there already.
John Daido Loori was himself a photographer and founder of Zen Mountain Monastery in Mt Tremper, NY. His observations in The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life, along with writings and artwork from others, and the meditation exercises Loori provides throughout the book, are
David Guy
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
My wife had bought this book because of her interest in visual arts, and I had always avoided it because I think the subject is a little hokey and overworked. But Loori began as a photographer and only later became a Zen priest; he does know the tradition very well, and is completely devoted to Zen practice. There is probably still a little too much John Daido Loori in this book, but I thought it was an interesting treatise about the Zen arts, and the connection of art and Zen in general.
Jimmyle
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism
Beautiful and insightful. Wonderful illustrations. I was disappointed that Loori didn't shed more light on the relationship between creativity and ego... to creator addiction ... as described in the following verse:

The artist limits time and space
In hopes of setting up a place
Where he defines the world anew.
And, God-like, grants himself the grace
To pardon
And be pardoned too. (Kido, ~1981)

Carole
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carole by: Karen Schulman
Shelves: buddhism, photography
This is a series of essays on creativity in general and how Daido Loori teaches creativity and photography. The later essays deal more specifically on the creative arts in Zen with brief and lucid discussions of calligraphy, different styles of painting, and poetry. The books is illustrated with wonderful examples of works that he describes.
Lisa
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
A surprisingly good read. The illustrations and the fact that a lot of his travels I have been to as well allowed me to really get into this book.
Short chapters that flowed nicely and some humor added to an enjoyable read.
Vivian
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of green tea. This book seems more about the author's perspective vs. igniting any creativity in the reader. If you are looking for a book to throw your creativity in gear, read http://www.amazon.com/The-Artists-Way...

You won't be sorry!
Adler
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Difficult read. Some sentences or stories are really thoughtful and very powerful, but I found that most of it was too loose... I know that depending on one's mindset a book can be either a must or a non-sense, so perhaps I should give it another chance and read it again in the future.
Michael
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fivestars
I need to get my Zen groove back.
Edward
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've read this twice in two years, taking notes each time. It not only clearly lays out the basics of Zen practice but also how they intersect with the practice of art. It's wise and luminous.
Tere
Feb 21, 2008 is currently reading it
Just starting this one. need for class in March 2008
Chana
Aug 31, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
If you come upon the Buddha, kill the Buddha.
Tara
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one to continue to return to.
Nathalia
Jun 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
I had to read this for one of my courses and quite frankly, all I have to say is that it just wasn't for me.
Susan Brooks
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Loori writes with great compassion and understanding of Zen, and explains with as great a depth as is possible regarding the creative process. Very inspirational.
Cnorahs
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts, philosophy
I should put these practices for real more often...
Marijn
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting look at things - one step closer to understanding both Zen and Creativity.
Carolyn
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-buddhist
I re-read this book. Still much to ponder.
Nancy
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I liked the connections between contemplative practices and art

• The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety
  • Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice
  • The Way of Zen
  • On the Plain of Snakes: A Mexican Journey
  • Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity
  • Becoming Nobody: The Essential Ram Dass Collection
  • Live Your Truth
  • Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery (Little Beach Street Bakery #2)
  • In My Own Way: An Autobiography
  • The Science of Enlightenment: Teachings and Meditations for Awakening Through Self-Investigation
  • Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundations of Zen Buddhist Practice
  • The Power of Space and Reincarnation
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Year of the Monkey

News & Interviews

“If I was asked to get rid of the Zen aesthetic and just keep one quality necessary to create art, I would say it’s trust. When you learn to trust yourself implicitly, you no longer need to prove something through your art. You simply allow it to come out, to be as it is. This is when creating art becomes effortless. It happens just as you grow your hair. It grows.” 2 likes