Start by marking “How to Teach a Slug to Read” as Want to Read:
How to Teach a Slug to Read

How to Teach a Slug to Read

A little boy explains to Mama Slug how to teach Little Slug to read. Here are a few of his reading rules: Attach labels to Little Slug’s favorite things; Read out loud to him; Point out words that repeat; Sound out words; Make a vocabulary list; Be patient! And, of course, it helps if Little Slug can see the book, so prop it up and set him on a rock! David Slonim’s hilario ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about How to Teach a Slug to Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Teach a Slug to Read

Arminzerella
Offers practical advice for teaching a young slug to read (applicable also to young humans!) including: labeling the slug’s favorite things (with words, so it can get familiar with them), selecting good books (find some with lots of slugs in them to add interest), make sure the slug can see the book (pictures and words), point out repeating words so the slug can identify them, help with pronunciation, make lists of new vocabulary, underline favorite words (in slime), practice, and be patient. So ...more
Danica Midlil
Unlike Slugs in Love Slugs in Love by Susan Pearson, these pictures were silly and cartoony enough to overcome the grossness of slugs. Their little slug faces evoked a much wider span of emotions to make the characters relateable and funny. Personally, I loved every time their antenna poked out above a hat!
Real suggestions to parents are given in slug terms for helping your child learn to read. Very reminiscent of Read to Your Bunny Read to Your Bunny by Rosemary Wells, which is still the better book, but more geared toward younger bunnies. This would appea
Sandy
Sep 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute, yet full of practical advice for teaching slugs (and human kids) to read. I want to give this book to every parent who's come to me looking for a magical teach-my-kid-to-read solution.

Especially awesome was the spread with tip #9, which featured slug parodies of awesome children's books, including Duck for President, The Poky Little Puppy Where the Wild Things Are, and The Cat in the Hat.
Christiane
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Just in time for slug and snail story time this morning! This is a great book for parents and kids about learning how to read. It is full of smart ideas for parents but is still a successful, humorous story. Mama and son slug start off reading a book of nursery rhymes that have had slugs added to them ("Mary had a little slug, /His skin was smooth as silk") and there's a two page spread of classic children's titles that have been "adapted" ("Go, Slug, Go!", "The Snail in the Hat"). And in case a ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
In describing how one would go about teaching a slug how to read, Pearson cleverly describes here how to teach children to read. I loved the large, colorful illustrations, and noticed that other bugs started to join in the story times. The types of texts slug reads are cute too, all slug-related, like the version of "Little Miss Muffet" with a slug instead of a spider. (And, believe it or not, I didn't know that "curds and whey" meant cottage cheese, so I learned something!) I can see a parent r ...more
Cat Fithian
I think this is my new favorite picture book! It is clever, witty, delightful, useful and engaging! I have to try it with some kids, but for those of us in the Early Literacy Biz, this book as all the best tips in it! Love! More sophisticated readers will enjoy pouring over the illustrations for hidden humor and meaning, while the simplest reading will evoke joy and laughter.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Fun pictures and the tips used to teach a slug to read are remarkably like those used to teach children to read. The plays on the titles of books and the one lines from books are fun - probably more for the adults enjoyment then the children.
Jessica Murphy
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Title: How To Teach A Slug To Read
Author: Susan Pearson
Illustrator: David Slonim
Genre: How-to Book
Theme(s): Phonics, Early Reading Skills, Humor
Opening line/sentence: When you teach a slug to read, you should: 1. Start out by putting labels on his favorite things.
Brief Book Summary: To teach a slug to read, you have to follow six specific steps. But, it may take a while, so it is important to be patient with your slug. When your slug does learn how to read, it will open him to a whole world of
Rachel
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a cute concept. This book also gives good guidelines for teaching your small human to read!
Misty Jimenez
Book Title: How to Teach a Slug to Read
APA Citation: Pearson, S. (2011). How to teach a slug to read. Singapore: Marshall.
KIRKUS REVIEW: Pearson is a slug intimate, having previously charted the course of two Slugs in Love (illustrated by Kevin O'Malley, 2006), so who better to explain, exactly, the best way to teach a slug to read? It is really quite elementary, starting with opening the book (make sure it has slug characters), read it to the slug, point out repeating words, help sound them out
Storywraps
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This amazing little book takes all the practical ways of teaching reading and power-packs it into a fun, whimsical instruction manual that works for little humans too.

Poor Mama Slug is at her anntena's end when she discovers her little one's reading dilemma. Enter the hero of the story. A wise boy steps into the picture and instructs both Mama and Junior the right way to learn to read. He has very practical advice as how to do so, starting by labelling junior's favourite things. He states that
Nicola
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Hmm, perhaps of more interest to parents (and 5-6 year olds). It's more early literacy tips and strategies than it is story. Miss 3 got bored and swapped it for the next one on our stack.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Viviane Elbee
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The kids and I really enjoyed this book, though it is a longer book that will probably appeal more to older preschoolers and young elementary students.

Can also be used to discuss “fractured fairy tales” since the “books” and stories the slug enjoys are variations on well known books and stories.

Illustrations are fairly cute even though this is about slugs.
Megan
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is a cute and informative picture book about how to teach a slug to read. It's full of great advice from opening the book to looking for repeating words and sounding letters out. While it is a humorous book about teaching slugs to read, all the tips apply to human readers as well! I would read this to a kindergarten class that is learning how to read.
Cosette
This book reminds me of If You Give A Mouse A Cookie. Or was it If You Give A Cat A Slice Of Prized Banana Nut Bread? Either way, the animal goes through this strange series of events that are somehow linked to the first event, but not really because a cat would never go swimming. So...the illustrations are fun.
Iwaswondering
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book! I love the slug adapted well-known poems and stories

This book is a lot of fun. I read it to my four-year-old. She enjoyed the story. I enjoyed how the author changed well-known poems and stories to include slugs.
zhang huizhu
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Great job on the book! I love it!

I like the drawings,rhymes sound, and the ideas.
I chose five stars because it teach me a lot of rhymes that I can use in my poetry books, so much stuff
Sandi Ramirez
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Super cute book

My grand daughter and I have read and re-read this several times. She kindergarten soon and we reading to get ready. She loved this book. She can sound out slug now.
Lori
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was cute. I loved the illustrations. Seems the message is more for adults and the how we might build early literacy. Would like to read it with a little one to see how it might be received by a child.
Audrey
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The illustration on the page with the slug's favorite books is a hilarious slug adaptation of FROG AND TOAD, GO, DOG, GO, WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE, THE CAT IN THE HAT, etc. Worth the price of admission.
Nancy
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a sneaky way to teach a child to read, by showing how to teach a slug to read. I realized I had used some of these methods when my sons were very young, and the oldest son was reading at a very young age, without my even knowing it at first. This is a cute book.
Diane
Helpful hints on how to help your child learn to read (with some slug-specific hints as well). The "Rhymes from Mother Slug", selected text of the youngster, is fun to read. The students are going to love this one.
Rebecca
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
The ways you teach a slug to read are the ways you teach a kid to read (except maybe for how long you have to wait for them to climb a rock). Slugs in the parts of famous book characters don't hurt, either!
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, humor, slugs, reading
A very sweet and endearing book of a mother slug going through the steps required to learn to read with her son slug. Lots of slug puns and play on words. (My fav was a book cover Go Slug, Go! in lieu of Go Dog, Go!)

Really fun illustrations.
Erin
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
A little literacy-based book with clever illustrations. This is one that is much more geared towards parents, and includes tips to help children become better readers. I thought it was cute and great as a teaching tool, but I don't think it would be very good as a read-aloud with a child.
Samantha
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cute book about the steps involved in learning how to read. Illustrations are funny and cute and even pay tribute to famous children's books in a few spreads. A very satisfying read in that it's simple and the steps are practical and yet the reader is throughly entertained from start to finish.
Donalyn
A cute book providing Mother Slug with tips on how to teach her young slug to read. The tips mirror many of the ways we can teach children to read and celebrates the importance and power that reading brings.
Becky Barnett
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick and silly read for a bedtime story for my four year old daughter. This book made us giggle and it was funny. My daughter liked the titles of the books that the slug was learning to read. She said it was silly, but a good story.
Mar 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concepts
A clever book about learning to read that can be used for a story time program to help enforce "ready to read" skills. Very cute pictures. I would use this for a bug-themed story time program for preschoolers and kindergarten students who are learning to read.
Amianne Bailey
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
See my lesson idea on my blog http://redreadingchair.blogspot.com/2...

• The Wonderful Book
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Mouse & Lion
  • Cat Secrets
  • Three by the Sea
  • Owly  Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • Reading Makes You Feel Good