Start by marking “Lectures on Faith” as Want to Read:

4.5  ·  Rating Details ·  4,715 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
Prepared under the direction of the Prophet Joseph Smith, these seven lectures on faith helped early Church leaders and missionaries incorporate the most fundamental principle of the Gospel with greater understanding than ever before. Lectures on Faith occupies a station of respect as part of original literature produced by the Prophet of the Restoration and the bright ...more
Published May 15th 1993 by Deseret Book Co (first published 1835)

Lowell
May 01, 2011 Lowell rated it it was amazing
As I write this, the LDS church is closing its 191st year as an "organized" religion, established on April 6, 1830.

What many modern members of the church do not know is that between years 5 and 91, "Lectures on Faith" was included with the Doctrine and Covenants... and was actually the Doctrine part, with our existing version containing the Covenants portion. In 1921, they were removed from canonical volume of scriptures because the Lectures "were never presented to nor accepted by the Church as
Brian
Nov 01, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing
This is the clearest and most acurately detailed discussion on faith that has ever been assembled on the subject. It lays forth in clarity what faith is, how to get it and hold onto it, and how to reorient your own compass to discern between good and evil. Better this books tells you the only way in which you can be saved. But it discusses being saved in a literal sense vs. from mystery and the superficial and usual connotations of that word- the emotions of being 'worked up' and false notions ...more
Megan
Oct 21, 2008 Megan added it
This was advanced and hard for me to really follow all the thoughts. But I made it through and did learn some things. I thought it was really advanced and it makes me wonder how some of the early saints who were unlearned grasped any of this! But it is a logical understanding of faith, what it is, what creates it, what it rests upon, and what knowledge and understanding we must have first in order to have faith in God. I felt like I learned about what knowledge I must strengthen to have more ...more
Jaime Buckley
Feb 28, 2014 Jaime Buckley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this because of it's title...and I was curious about the topic of 'faith'.

Never have I heard this subject explained so openly, honestly and in a clear, concise manner so I could better understand what faith was, how it worked in my life (or could work) and how to build it.

I don't think it matters what religion you are when it comes to reading this book. If you love God, and you seek truth because you love truth for its own sake, you should read this book. It's brilliance and immediate app
Kirk
Aug 23, 2015 Kirk rated it it was amazing
"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." (Mark 9:23).

The above quote summarizes my thoughts on this book. I've always heard of this book, and I was very intrigued when I saw it was free on the Desert Bookshelf app so I started to read it every night. It highlights and discusses faith and what it means to have faith. I've realized that I have a long way to go in order to get where I need to get. But that is the purpose of life, do the little things each day that bui
Shad
Jan 03, 2016 Shad rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Here is a synopsis I put together after re-reading it this time:

Lectures on Faith

1. “[F]aith is the assurance which men have of the existence of things which they have not seen, and the principle of action in all intelligent beings.” 1.9
a. Through faith, we receive all temporal and spiritual blessings. 1.13
b. Faith is a power of action and of power. 1.13
2. Faith is in God, and we received knowledge of Him via human testimony passed down from those who saw and heard Him (Adam, b
Greg
Jun 23, 2008 Greg rated it really liked it
Original lectures on faith given by the Prophet Joseph Smith in the early days of the LDS church. Wonderful exposition of this core principle of the gospel. Excerpts:

"How do men obtain a knowledge of the glory of God, his perfections and attributes? By devoting themselves to his service, through prayer and supplication incessantly strengthening their faith in him, until, like Enoch, the brother of Jared, and Moses, they obtain a manifestation of God to themselves."

"Let us here observe, that thre
Hector Torres
Aug 19, 2013 Hector Torres rated it it was amazing
As originally prepared and delivered, the lessons were for a class of elders only. However, the lectures were introduced to the membership of the Church in the preface to the 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants.

They would be included in the D&C up to 1921, at which time they were removed because "they are not specific revelations to the Church and were never sustained as such".

Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith said: "I suppose that the rising generation knows little about the Lectures on F
Chris Gee
Sep 22, 2010 Chris Gee rated it it was amazing
I just finished this again. I was assigned to speak on faith in church last weekend. I forgot how many wonderful ideas are in this book. So many of things that are often quoted about faith are in this book.

“But faith is not only a principle of action, but of power also,”

[t]here are 3 things that intelligent beings need to have to exercise faith in God unto salvation:

1: The idea that [God] actually exists
2: A correct idea of His character, perfection, and attributes
3: An actual knowledge that th
Sally
Feb 22, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, non-fiction, own
I took an Institute class on Lectures on Faith and "other documents of scriptural stature." LOVED IT. The other documents included: The King Follett discourse, the Sermon in the Grove, the Origin of Man, Doctrinal Exposition on the Father and the Son, the Wentworth Letter, and the Family Proclamation. All wonderful. The Follett discourse and Sermon in the Grove are both in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith (TPJS), I believe. Origin of Man is a 1st Presidency statement from ????. Doctrinal ...more
Cindy
Apr 26, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LDS
Shelves: lds, non-fiction, religion, 999
This was a difficult read in parts. I enjoyed the book, but the format was not an easy one to follow. The lectures had lots of good, inspiring doctrine in it, but then the questions were just repeating what was already there. The edition that I read including a message by Orson Pratt called, "True Faith," and excerpts from the King Follett address. Those excerpts were the best part, in my opinion. The message by Brother Pratt had some great stuff in there too.
Jake
Aug 10, 2009 Jake rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
This is a very useful publication in understanding Joseph Smith's development as a self-taught theologian. As it reveals, the popular notion of a hapless illiterate will not do. Also unlikely is that Joseph Smith came away from his first vision with a keen and unbending notion of what the Godhead was.

I appreciate this volume for its showcasing of Joseph Smith's evolving knowledge and understanding. Compare this 1830s publication with his King Follett sermon in 1844.
Angie
Sep 18, 2012 Angie rated it it was amazing
This took me maybe two hours to read and it blew my mind. Lecture 3 had the most profound influence on me.

What is the Character of God?
1. He is the highest being in the universe. There is no one higher.
2. He is all things good (mercy, patience, kindness) and no things bad (anger, disappointment, vengeance)
3. He never changes
4. He CANNOT lie
5. He is no respecter of persons, but his most profound blessings are upon those who follow him.
6. He is LOVE.

Amazing stuff :)
Brandon
Feb 20, 2009 Brandon rated it really liked it
There's a lot here about the nature of God that is good to learn and is not to be found in most other sources. This book made me feel better about myself than any Sunday School lesson I've ever heard.
Greg Schell
Sep 30, 2011 Greg Schell rated it it was amazing
A very thought-provoking read as an in-depth discussion of faith. Short enough to be read in one sitting, but with enough depth to require that the reader spend considerable time pondering what's been read. It certainly would have been awesome to be present at the actual lectures!
Tami Harris
Feb 27, 2015 Tami Harris rated it it was amazing
I never knew that Lectures on Faith were part of the canonized scriptures and then were removed in 1921. These lectures are beautiful! I believe they should be read and studied just as much as any of the other scriptures, there is so much to learn there.
Travis
Feb 28, 2014 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, religious
I read this book a long time ago (back in '97), but I remember being deeply touched by the King Follett sermon. Joseph Smith was a fascinating man as they come, and his writings and teachings have influenced my life probably more than most any other man.
Dan Poulsen
Jan 22, 2016 Dan Poulsen rated it really liked it
Great read, learned a lot and found some of it redundant. however it was originally meant as a textbook of sorts so hard to criticize the format too much.
Ryan
Jul 13, 2008 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, audio, lds, 12, 1
Contained are some GREAT principles on faith that I have never understood until I read this book.

Own the audios on cassette too.
Chris Webber
Jul 03, 2009 Chris Webber rated it really liked it
The nuts and bolts of the mormon faith. And Joseph's approach to faith in general.

It's a short read. Don't call yourself a mormon if you haven't read this book!
Jake
Feb 21, 2010 Jake rated it it was amazing
Way cool, I never realized how much there was to faith before I read this book. It gives you some insight into how intelligent Joseph Smith was. He really understood and explained things so well.
Jams
There is SO much info here. One read thru is nit going to be enough.
Andrew Pixton
May 09, 2014 Andrew Pixton rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy, spiritual
This was deep and interesting, except for the odd obsession with people's age. I'll start with what I learned and liked then move into the problems. The need for faith makes a lot of sense here, but in a different way than I've been taking it. I've talked about faith as subjectivity, a willful belief in something not yet proven because you want to. Joseph Smith explains it more as a fundamental way of the universe. I exercise faith when I turn on my car, drink water, flip on a light switch, and ...more
Ur
Nov 18, 2016 Ur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book your for learning and understanding Faith

I prayerfully seek to understand this concept. of Faith The book can be a little difficult to understand at times but The Spirit is able to teach any soul willing to learn. I was counting on that fact when I started reading this book. Very useful information.
Gregg B. Jensen
Oct 13, 2016 Gregg B. Jensen rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book on faith and the power of the Priesthood. It gives great a greater understanding of our relationship with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I recommend studying it prayerfully.
Samuel
Apr 13, 2014 Samuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Lectures on Faith," composed under the direction of Joseph Smith by Sidney Rigdon in 1835, was originally part of the LDS cannon as the "doctrine" part of the Doctrine and Covenants until it was removed in 1921; the covenants were the remaining revelations, which also contain doctrine so the name was kept. Although the purpose for their removal from cannon status is not wholly clear, it appears that the presentation of the Godhead may be slightly confusing at least, and difficult to reconcile ...more
Juergen John Roscher
Apr 28, 2015 Juergen John Roscher rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that I intended to read for years but never took the time to read it. Many people over the years have recommended that I read the lectures to get a better understanding of the principle of faith.

The Lectures on Faith were a series of discourses that the Prophet Joseph Smith gave to the Elders of the Church in Kirtland, Ohio (1834-35) that examines all aspect of the principle of Faith.

By reading this book, I gained a deeper understanding of the principle of faith, wha
Christopher
Oct 25, 2015 Christopher rated it liked it
Laborious.

The lectures, although approved by Joseph Smith for publication, were given by Sidney Rigdon, except the last two, which were probably Joseph's. I read it for its historical importance. Up until 1921, this was the "doctrine" portion of Doctrine and Covenants. It was removed by the encouragement of James Talmage, officially citing that it had never been put before the membership of the church to vote on canonization. I suspect it had more to do with the under-developed theology of the G
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Jun 30, 2013 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it really liked it
Shelves: spir-tual
4.5 stars. Some beautiful insights on faith.

"Were this class to go back and reflect upon the history of their lives, from the period of their first recollection, and ask themselves, what principle excited them to action, or what gave them energy and activity, in all their lawful avocations, callings and pursuits, what would be the answer? Would it not be that it was the assurance which we had of the existence of things which we had not seen, as yet?-Was it not the hope which you had, in consequ
Douglas Cootey
Mar 08, 2012 Douglas Cootey rated it really liked it
This was a difficult book for me to get through. I found the prose laborious, and the arguments not always convincing. I have since learned that:
1) the Lectures were removed from the D&C in 1921
2) Joseph may not have written them all entirely (especially the early lectures which don't seem to be in his voice)
3) they show his evolving understanding of the principles behind his faith as he searched for understanding through the scriptures
4) Joseph was attempting to establish Theology as a sci
Probably not ET 1 8 May 31, 2011 06:41AM
Aliens? 1 6 May 31, 2011 06:27AM
  • The Great Apostasy
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Temple and Cosmos: Beyond This Ignorant Present (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 12)
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Spencer W. Kimball
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • Doctrines of Salvation. Complete Three-Volume Work [3-in-1]. Sermons & Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith.
Joseph Smith, Jr. was the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, also known as Mormonism, and an important religious and political figure during the 1830s and 1840s. In 1827, Smith began to gather a religious following after announcing that an angel had shown him a set of golden plates describing a visit of Jesus to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. In 1830, Smith published what he said ...more
More about Joseph Smith Jr....

“And if the question is asked, how were they to obtain the knowledge of God? (for there is a great difference between believing in God and knowing him -- knowledge implies more than faith. And notice, that all things that pertain to life and godliness were given through the knowledge of God) the answer is given -- through faith they were to obtain this knowledge; and, having power by faith to obtain the knowledge of God, they could with it obtain all other things which pertain to life and godliness.” 0 likes