Start by marking “The Fractal Geometry of Nature” as Want to Read:
The Fractal Geometry of Nature

The Fractal Geometry of Nature

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  496 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, and lightening does not travel in a straight line. The complexity of nature's shapes differs in kind, not merely degree, from that of the shapes of ordinary geometry, the geometry of fractal shapes.

Now that the field has expanded greatly with many active researchers, Mandelbrot presents the definitive overview of the origin...more
Published August 15th 1982 by Times Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Fractal Geometry of Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fractal Geometry of Nature

Jack
More a reference than a read, Mandelbrot was the first mathematician and naturalist to embrace fractals, second citizen equations that turned out to be elegant expressions of much of the patterns, sequences, arrangements we can see in molecules, simple life forms, organ systems, complex life forms, environments, ecosystems.... Some of it is user friendly, some needs to be skimmed by those who don't care about the math, but Mandelbrot is supportive of both kinds of readers.
Valerie
I have to admit that this book has been sitting on my shelves half-read and gathering dust. Mandelbrot's a fairly good speaker (from what I've seen of him on documentaries), but a trying and tedious writer.

If you're looking for pretty pictures of fractals, there are some. If you're looking for the formula for the Mandelbrot set, it's here. If you want to understand the theory behind fractals, this is not the best introduction.
John E. Branch Jr.
I believe this is where I first encountered such oddities of geometry and math, some of which were once thought to be monsters, as Cantor dust, Sierpinski triangles, Koch snowflakes, Peano curves, and the like. More important, it's where I first found explicated the idea of fractional dimensionality, from which I believe Mandelbrot derived the term "fractal." (The concept itself comes from a German mathematician named Hausdorff, but Mandelbrot generalized it). A solid understanding of the book i...more
JenniferRuth
Mandlebrot does a good job of writing for both mathematicians and those who simply have a passing interest. He makes it easy to skip over the in-depth mathematical sections whilst still providing solid explanations of the concepts being discussed. I will admit that some of it was way over my head and there were sections that could be quite dry. However, it was thrilling to gain a greater understanding of fractals like the Menger sponge, Koch snowflakes and Cantor Dust along with how they can be...more
C. Marcos
What a book! Unlike anything you may have read before. The book itself has fractal structure. Truly a master piece. It covers almost everything from a strictly geometrical point of view. Linear readers beware, you may get really annoyed by this book.
Thomas A Wiebe

I read the first few chapters of this book, and the concept of the fractal was fascinating; a partial dimensionality. The early chapter on the coastline of Britain was very stimulating - the idea that the perimeter of an object can have a significantly different length depending on the scale it is measured was surprising. The remainder of the book delved into various mathematical structures which I found little interest in.
Ron Moreland
May 23, 2008 Ron Moreland rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book may just provide a hunger in a student to learn more about what fractals are in math. It is something I have studied for quite sometime and I hope to incorporate in my future math classes as a teacher. The images and mathematical properties of fractals are fascinating! Even if someone doesn't understand the mathematics behind fractals they can use technology to create some interesting fractals.
Chuck Weiss
The complexity of nature as explained by the genius behind the study of fractals. I can never look at a fern leaf the same way again. The illustrations alone in this gem of a book are worth its purchase price. Gaussian curves, the Julia Set, all explained - albeit a little technical for me in many chapters.
Krystal
After seeing the author lecture I bought this book, which is completely over my head but illustrated with some of the most beautiful fractal representations I've seen. For anyone interested in fractal geometry, specifically in nature, its a great place to get inspired.
Kami
I didn't really read this. More like glance through. I thought it would be a book of pretty pictures of patterns in nature. Its not. It is like a mathmeticians text book. Oops.
David Hunt
Dec 23, 2007 David Hunt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: math fans.
Technical and, in fact, not my favorite book on the topic. Nonetheless, sometimes it is good to get your story straight from the horse's mouth.
Jim
Oct 21, 2010 Jim marked it as to-read
Philski
breezed over most of the math in the last 20 chapters except for the chapters on turbulence and finance, my primary interests.
Kaethe
Amazing images and a very cool concept, well explained. Fractal make sense out of nature.
Justin
Beautiful in its unfolding
Insightful in its message
An essay to be enjoyed!
Bruce
Pretty pictures...ooooo! Oh yeah, and math that fits nature...aaaaah!
Carmen Mandel
"As with Fibonacci numbers, nature holds surprises as fractals"
Wylz
an immensely pertinent epistemological text..
Jimmy
A classic written by the Father of Fractals.
Baldwin_tina
Feb 07, 2009 Baldwin_tina is currently reading it
working my way through this book.
Ericraquelyahoo.com
This one was over my head.
Jerry Doughan
Jerry Doughan marked it as to-read
Octipi
Octipi marked it as to-read
Gregory Douglas
Gregory Douglas marked it as to-read
Akshari
Akshari marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Bucsa Ionut
Bucsa Ionut marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
  • On Growth and Form
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos
  • The Principles of Mathematics
  • The Infinite Book: A Short Guide to the Boundless, Timeless and Endless
  • One, Two, Three...Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science
  • Theory of Games and Economic Behavior
  • At Home in the Universe: The Search for the Laws of Self-Organization and Complexity
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • Nature's Numbers: The Unreal Reality Of Mathematics
  • e: the Story of a Number
  • The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
  • What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods
  • The Annotated Turing: A Guided Tour Through Alan Turing's Historic Paper on Computability and the Turing Machine
Benoît B. Mandelbrot was a French mathematician, best known as the father of fractal geometry. He was Sterling Professor of Mathematical Sciences, Emeritus at Yale University; IBM Fellow Emeritus at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center; and Battelle Fellow at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. He was born in Poland, but his family moved to France when he was a child; he was a dual French a...more
More about Benoît B. Mandelbrot...
The (Mis)Behavior of Markets The Fractalist: Memoir of a Scientific Maverick Fractals: Form, chance, and dimension Fractals and Chaos: The Mandelbrot Set and Beyond Fractal Art: The Mandelbrot Set (Postcard Portfolio)

“Weierstrass, Cantor, or Peano! In physics, an analogous development threatened since about 1800, since Laplace’s Celestial Mechanics avoided all illustration. And it is exemplified by the statement by P. A. M. Dirac (in the preface of his 1930 Quantum Mechanics) that nature’s “fundamental laws do not govern the world as it appears in our mental picture in any very direct way, but instead they control a substratum of which we cannot form a mental picture without introducing irrelevancies.” The wide and uncritical acceptance of this view has become destructive. In particular, in the theory of fractals “to see is to believe.” 0 likes