Start by marking “Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage” as Want to Read:
Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage

Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Offering more than correct spellings and definitions, this abridged version of Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage contains 2,000 brief articles on the historical and current usage trends of commonly confused and disputed words and phrases. The articles analyze the words, discuss alternati
Published January 1st 2002 by Merriam-Webster (first published November 1st 1994)

Be the first to ask a question about Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage

Rick Bavera
I am fascinated with and by words.

Because of that, I found this book to be a useful dictionary, covering words from a/an and abbreviations to zoom, and the "problems" or differences that may arise in usage for those whose job is working with words.

There is also a short ("brief" in the words of the dictionary) history of the English language, a pronunciation guide, and a bibliography of source materials for the advice given in the body of the dictionary.
Ben
Jul 16, 2007 Ben rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
I would recommend this book to anyone who does a lot of writing. It has excellent, well-researched advice on the proper usage of a number of English words and phrases. It is very "descriptivist" -- that is, rather than simply deferring to an expert's opinion, the researchers actually search through numerous archives of English literature, journalism, etc, as well as other usage guides to formulate their recommendations.
Amanda
How could I not love a book that answers my most burning usage questions and also helps me win arguments? (I usually have to just make-believe an opponent for these arguments because all the real people are afraid to fight with me about this stuff, but it still gives me a great sense of triumph when I win--which I ALWAYS do!)
Robert
This is not the best usage guide ever, but it is a good one. Many an argument was settled with this book. Frankly, anyone who fancies himself a wordsmith better know what's included here. All basic and straightforward but necessary nonetheless.
Kelsey
This usage dictionary is vital for any writer, editor or English lover in general. It has great histories and explanations of many common dilemmas and usage questions we face.
See the entries for who/whom and farther/further.
Warwick
The sine qua non of English usage reference. There is an exemplary reliance on evidence (with plenty of supporting quotations), rather than the usual intellectually trivial acceptance of received rules.
Robert
Overall the best (most thorough) usage guide available. MWDEU is not so much a quick reference but rather a guide for self-study and settling those seemingly intractable issues of English usage.
Clay
If you aren't familiar with this book (which, BTW, is quite droll), there's a very high probability that you are the under the sway of some very priggish ideas about English usage. Free yer mind.
Kate McClare
Dec 29, 2014 Kate McClare rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers of all levels
Shelves: writing-guides
An indispensable arbiter of proper English, filled with revealing insights on how our language came to its present state.
Rebecca
I originally read this book for fun and education. I keep it on hand for a reference.
James
James marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Melanie Brockington
Melanie Brockington marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Subash Devkota
Subash Devkota marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Amhirceaga
Amhirceaga marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Anshu
Anshu marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Scott Thompson
Scott Thompson marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Mason
Mason marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • Words into Type
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing (Essential Resource Library) (Essential Resource Library)
  • The Chicago Manual of Style
  • Torn Wings and Faux Pas: A Flashbook of Style, a Beastly Guide Through the Writer's Labyrinth
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words
  • Random House Word Menu: New and Essential Companion to the Dictionary
  • 501 German Verbs
  • The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
  • The New Roget's Thesaurus in Dictionary Form
  • The New Fowler's Modern English Usage
  • The Oxford Companion to the English Language
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Developmental Editing: A Handbook for Freelancers, Authors, and Publishers
  • German for Dummies [With CD]
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary The Merriam-Webster Dictionary Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary