Start by marking “Dog Talk: Lessons Learned from a Life with Dogs” as Want to Read:
Dog Talk: Lessons Learned from a Life with Dogs

Dog Talk: Lessons Learned from a Life with Dogs

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
DOG TALK chronicles Harrison Forbes's life with dogs, from the first bond he formed as a boy with a Belgian Tervuren named Sabina, to the story of Lex, a police dog who attacked his owner’s wife, and was redeemed by Harrison’s intense love and respect for the breed.  Forbes also offers practical aspects of understanding and dealing with whatever type of dog the reader may ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Dog Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Talk

Krazykat
Jun 22, 2009 Krazykat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: srp-2009
It should come as no surprise that I've chosen yet again more canine chapters for Summer Reading Program, being the self-admittedly loud and proud dog lover that I am. That said, the author is the host of the nationally syndicated radio show "Pet Talk" and in this book, he reveals lessons learned from his life with dogs.

Harrison Forbes reminds me a lot of Cesar Millan (the Dog Whisperer and my hero!), the two men both being dog behaviorists and espousing such common sense as leash communication
Leigh-ann
Mar 27, 2009 Leigh-ann rated it it was amazing
I *loved* this book, and at the same time, I totally understand criticism of it. Harrison Forbes is a tough guy who likes tough dogs, and the macho nonsense would be laughable if it didn't seem so sincere (and effective). Like Forbes, I love big, burly, scary dogs, but unlike him, I'm a 5'2" female who weighs about the same as the dogs in question. The great thing about Forbes' training techniques is that they're based in having a strong personal relationship with the dog, and that's something ...more
Kim
Aug 23, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. I would classify it as a memoir more than anything. Forbes works with dogs that are pretty high-drive, and mostly with police or tracking dogs. Despite this, his comments on dog behavior and why they do what they do is very interesting. Dogs of this ilk are not the dogs I pick, as you can tell by my preference for spaniels, which generally tend to be softer dogs, but even with that bias, much of what he has to say about treating each dog as an individual, understanding ...more
Carey
Jul 11, 2009 Carey rated it liked it
"When a dog gets into your heart, the loss hurts forever." Great line from Forbes. Catches the thread that runs through his book. Each chapter highlights Forbes' experience with a significant dog he trained in his life/career. I enjoyed the later chapters ("PJ" and after). Since he trains working dogs (mainly police like "Lex"), I couldn't strongly relate to Forbe's training focus. But I loved the heartfelt story of PJ, the childhood bond of Sabina, and the interesting research of Diablo. Good ...more
Anne Pinckard
Oct 21, 2010 Anne Pinckard rated it liked it
A touching and inspiring book. I am in awe of how in tune he is with his dogs, and how willing he is to take risks and experiment in new techniques. There are a lot of hidden insights about dog behavior and training that really made sense for me. I work with shelter dogs, and I see many of the points he makes about obedience and training issues. The writing itself is rather poor; very repetitive, relies on catch phrases and cliches. Nevertheless, it's an engaging read, and the style seems to ...more
Theresa
Apr 02, 2009 Theresa rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for anyone who loves dogs to read. It really opened my eyes to what dogs are really all about, and how although we can train them to do certain things...there are things a dog is just meant to do we can't train out of them.

Harrison Forbes is very passionate about dogs, and you can see this in each and every chapter, about different dogs in his life. It really motivated me to learn more about all dog breeds.
Maureen
Nov 13, 2008 Maureen rated it really liked it
The title shown above must have the pre-pub title, because the book I read was called Dog Talk: Lessons learned from a life with dogs.
I enjoyed this one a lot. I know next to nothing about the kind of dogs he focuses on, and that made it interesting. If you like reading about dogs, this is a good choice.
Helena
Apr 01, 2009 Helena rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I will note that the version I read matched the cover photo here and was called Dog Talk, not Heart of a Dog. Even though the author works mostly with police dogs--which I found fascinating to read about--and this is not a dog training manual, I was still able to pick up a few tips for working with our sometimes-frustrating little dog.
Jacqueline115
awesome book....it made me smile, have tears and learn so many new things. author dispelled myths about certain breeds of dogs + explained his philosophy and tactics....it all comes down to how the owners train their dogs.......not the dog's behavior that is troublesome.
Zen
Feb 13, 2010 Zen rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs
Very insightful if you own a hardcore working breed - like the two Belgians (a Malinois and a Tervuren) that I recently adopted from the dog shelter. Not much in here in terms of technique. But there are a lot of pointers as to how to strike a balanced relationship with these types of dogs.
Jane
Nov 02, 2008 Jane rated it liked it
This is non-fiction, written by a trainer of police dogs. Each chapter is devoted to a different dog in his life. Interesting insight, but not a page turner.
Stephanie
Sep 02, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Great book! Each chapter a story about one of his dogs. Most were police K9s but some were just pets. I've "liked" the author on Facebook and really enjoyed his take on life with dogs.
Folio
Folio rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2009
Tiwi
Tiwi rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Nikkiemarie
Nikkiemarie rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Thea (All About Books)
Thea (All About Books) rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Chelsey
Chelsey rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2014
Rose
Rose rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2010
Amanda Papenfus
Amanda Papenfus rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Nori
Nori rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2009
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2010
Don
Don rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2009
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012