Start by marking “500 tips for fat girls” as Want to Read:
500 tips for fat girls

500 tips for fat girls

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Mary Lambert's debut collection of poetry. '500 tips for fat girls' is a moving and strikingly original exploration of body image, abuse, and queer love.

Cover art by Crystal Barbre
Printed by United Reprographics
Paperback, 1st, 41 pages
Published January 2013 by United Reprographics

To ask other readers questions about 500 tips for fat girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 tips for fat girls

Lissa
I first heard of Mary Lambert, like many, because of the Macklemore song "Same Love." I then picked up her EP (which I totally fell in love with from the first second) and her book, "500 Tips for Fat Girls," which is a collection of her poetry.

I don't reread a lot of books; my TBR pile is far too big to reread many of them. But I can see myself coming back to this collection of poetry over and over again. Mary has obviously suffered through a lot in her short life, and the words in this book sho
H.M. Jones
Upsettingly vivid, raw and honest. Lambert does not pull back, does not aim to please, but seems to only want to grasp at understanding: herself, society, love, anger, memory, abuse, and meaning. Her collection is not perfect but it is perfect for me, a woman who has been fat, dejected, in love and taken advantage of. She is a woman, unabashedly strong, depressed, angry, hurt, joyful, in love, rejected and imperfect. And that's okay. I feel healed by knowing that imperfection, rejection and pain ...more
Savannah Gingerich
It was not bad. I must admit, I was surprised by the darkness of it. Based on the title, I expected more inspiration based poetry. However, it is beautifully raw.

Also, I was surprised how small it was. Honestly, it's more of a pamphlet than a book. I ordered it from her though and she included an autographed picture with a note. I thought that was rather sweet.

The book as a whole was not impressive.
Cait
One of the most beautifully raw collections of modern poetry I've ever read. Mary lambert is my favorite artist of all time, and this book makes me feel so incredibly inspired.
Jaachim
Holy fucking shit.

This book is so triggery but so so good.

I'd recommend it to a friend with a caution that it is about mental illness and incest and rape and body issues and homosexuality.
powerful. moving. A few of her poems brought me to tears, while others simply reverberated with me. so many of her poems speak to me on so many levels that I can't wait to see more from Mary Lambert.
Eli Claire
Short and sweet and incredibly moving. I'm not much for poetry but I could relate to some of her experiences and that made it more understandable. I especially liked "you are a goddamn tree stump with leaves sprouting out: reborn."
Jess Moss
I really connected to this poetry. Intense and disturbing, honest and real.
Angie
I read the whole book in one sitting before bed and re-read it for several nights after. It is simply so heart-wrenching, so raw, so very genuine that it was difficult to not feel deeply connected to its author. I adore this book.
Wendolyn
Singer of "Same Love / She Keeps Me Warm"
Elvira
Elvira marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Siddhi
Siddhi added it
Jun 20, 2015
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Regina Hibbler
Regina Hibbler marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Ashley Wallis
Ashley Wallis is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2015
Aalayah
Aalayah marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Marianne Chrisos
Marianne Chrisos marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Mollie
Mollie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Leanna Hammond
Leanna Hammond marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Rebecca Roomiie
Rebecca Roomiie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Nastassia
Nastassia marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Haley Whiting
Haley Whiting marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Roxy Banister
Roxy Banister marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
  • Hysteria
  • Hood
  • Granta 124: Travel
  • Pray the Gay Away: The Extraordinary Lives of Bible Belt Gays
  • Flutter, Vol. 1: Hell Can Wait (Flutter, #1)
  • Queer Fear (Queer Fear #1)
  • Rape New York
  • Now and Then...
Mary Lambert, the hook voice for Macklemore's "Same Love," is more than just the chorus of an incredible song. She is the author and performer of incredible poetry, enough to make the hardest person cry.

She was born in Seattle, WA to a spiritual family, that was rejected from her church when her mom came out as a lesbian. At 17, Mary came out as a lesbian as well. She shares poetry about the toug
More about Mary Lambert...
Rottweiler Old Age Care Guide 7+ (The Complete Guide to Rottweilers) Crystal Energy: 150 ways to bring success, love, health and harmony into your life Extremely Weird Fishes Crafty Creatures in the Wetlands Crafty Creatures in Your House