Start by marking “500 tips for fat girls” as Want to Read:
500 tips for fat girls

500 tips for fat girls

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Mary Lambert's debut collection of poetry. '500 tips for fat girls' is a moving and strikingly original exploration of body image, abuse, and queer love.

Cover art by Crystal Barbre
Printed by United Reprographics
Paperback, 1st, 41 pages
Published January 2013 by United Reprographics

To ask other readers questions about 500 tips for fat girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 tips for fat girls

H.M. Jones
Feb 10, 2014 H.M. Jones rated it it was amazing
Upsettingly vivid, raw and honest. Lambert does not pull back, does not aim to please, but seems to only want to grasp at understanding: herself, society, love, anger, memory, abuse, and meaning. Her collection is not perfect but it is perfect for me, a woman who has been fat, dejected, in love and taken advantage of. She is a woman, unabashedly strong, depressed, angry, hurt, joyful, in love, rejected and imperfect. And that's okay. I feel healed by knowing that imperfection, rejection and pain ...more
Lissa
I first heard of Mary Lambert, like many, because of the Macklemore song "Same Love." I then picked up her EP (which I totally fell in love with from the first second) and her book, "500 Tips for Fat Girls," which is a collection of her poetry.

I don't reread a lot of books; my TBR pile is far too big to reread many of them. But I can see myself coming back to this collection of poetry over and over again. Mary has obviously suffered through a lot in her short life, and the words in this book sho
Savannah Gingerich
Feb 18, 2014 Savannah Gingerich rated it it was ok
It was not bad. I must admit, I was surprised by the darkness of it. Based on the title, I expected more inspiration based poetry. However, it is beautifully raw.

Also, I was surprised how small it was. Honestly, it's more of a pamphlet than a book. I ordered it from her though and she included an autographed picture with a note. I thought that was rather sweet.

The book as a whole was not impressive.
Cait
Dec 15, 2013 Cait rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautifully raw collections of modern poetry I've ever read. Mary lambert is my favorite artist of all time, and this book makes me feel so incredibly inspired.
Dec 20, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
powerful. moving. A few of her poems brought me to tears, while others simply reverberated with me. so many of her poems speak to me on so many levels that I can't wait to see more from Mary Lambert.
Eli Claire
Feb 11, 2014 Eli Claire rated it liked it
Short and sweet and incredibly moving. I'm not much for poetry but I could relate to some of her experiences and that made it more understandable. I especially liked "you are a goddamn tree stump with leaves sprouting out: reborn."
Jess Moss
Aug 19, 2014 Jess Moss rated it really liked it
I really connected to this poetry. Intense and disturbing, honest and real.
Tiffany Prescott
Apr 23, 2016 Tiffany Prescott rated it liked it
I was expecting so so much more, and I was sadly disappointed. My sister is a big Mary Lambert fan so I’ve heard her music and was honestly anticipating this to be funnier? More relatable? More polished?

At times it was raw and powerful, but the title barely matched the content. And while many of the topics Mary broached are important, this felt more like reading an unedited diary than published poetry collection. I’m sad to say I was disappointed.
Angie
Aug 06, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing
I read the whole book in one sitting before bed and re-read it for several nights after. It is simply so heart-wrenching, so raw, so very genuine that it was difficult to not feel deeply connected to its author. I adore this book.
Jaachim
Aug 11, 2015 Jaachim rated it it was amazing
Holy fucking shit.

This book is so triggery but so so good.

I'd recommend it to a friend with a caution that it is about mental illness and incest and rape and body issues and homosexuality.
Wendolyn
Singer of "Same Love / She Keeps Me Warm"
Sarah Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2014 Sarah Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Incredibly moving
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Taylor Fairfield
Taylor Fairfield rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Jordyn
Jordyn rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Jenny Pearlman
Jenny Pearlman marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Kathleen Gay
Kathleen Gay marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Sofia Ferreira
Sofia Ferreira marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Maddie
Maddie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Melody
Melody rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Brittany Evola
Brittany Evola rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Gia
Gia marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Jaime Brumm
Jaime Brumm marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Brittany Saladino
Brittany Saladino marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Cat Smith
Cat Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Kat Storment
Kat Storment marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Nicci Dawn
Nicci Dawn marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
  • The Repercussions
  • A Theory of Small Earthquakes
  • Broken Like This: A Novel
  • Give Me a God I Can Relate To
  • Pansy
  • Said the Manic to the Muse
  • Remember, Body... (Little Black Classics, #43)
  • Bone Map: Poems
  • [insert] boy
  • Troubling the Line: Trans and Genderqueer Poetry and Poetics
  • The Rental Heart and Other Fairytales
  • Songs from Under the River: A Collection of Poetry
Mary Lambert, the hook voice for Macklemore's "Same Love," is more than just the chorus of an incredible song. She is the author and performer of incredible poetry, enough to make the hardest person cry.

She was born in Seattle, WA to a spiritual family, that was rejected from her church when her mom came out as a lesbian. At 17, Mary came out as a lesbian as well. She shares poetry about the toug
More about Mary Lambert...