Start by marking “The Elementals (The Elementals, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Elementals (The Elementals, #1)

The Elementals (The Elementals #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Upon unifying the seven warring states under one banner, the First Emperor of China began solidifying power for what he envisioned as a thousand-year reign.

Using those he conquered, the Emperor began a series of arduous projects, including the first Great Wall, the Linqu Canal, and a national system of highways. Ignoring the physical and emotional toll exacted upon the pe
Published October 18th 2012 by Virtual Bookworm

To ask other readers questions about The Elementals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elementals

Jay
I'm really not sure where to begin with my review of this book, but as I always choose to hear bad news first, I suppose I'll just start there.

As of late, I have grown increasingly aware of typos, grammar mistakes, et cetera in publications, although I'm not quite sure whether that is the result of increased perception on my part or of publication "catching up" with the falling standards I so often observe in our spoken language. Whatever the case, the errors within this novel were far in excess
Elle!
Feb 05, 2013 Elle! rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Fantasy Fans.
Recommended to Elle! by: ARC

Looking for something to read? I can help you out. Try The Elementals besides the kickass name what else isn't there to draw your attention.

Genre: Teen, YA Fiction. Total fantasy.

The Nitty Gritty:How I love the nitty gritty.Okay so this book os about friendship , China's culutre and a fantasy read combined into one .If you are a fan of Fire Horse Girl, you ought to read this book. Imagine this, China is at war.People are panic and there is this group called Dragon's spite, who are basically like
S.
I was cheering for The Elementals from the start. One reason is I like China. I used to live there. And one of the things I found fascinating was its history. In fact, ever since I read the classic, The Three Kingdoms, I always thought how great it would be if someone wrote a modern adventure set in ancient China. Well, that is exactly what Troy Jackson has done.

Another reason I was cheering for The Elementals is that I knew Troy Jackson is a first time author like myself. I know what he is up a
D.R.
Read other book reviews at Book Junkie Joint.

The Elementals is a well-made blend of young adult fantasy, China’s colorful culture and history, enlightening Confucian beliefs, and a tale of friendship, hope and bravery amidst hardships.

What I liked about the book is that it blended history with a touch of fantasy. The result is a very engaging read which not only carries the reader to a different time and place, but also teaches wisdom through the application of Chinese (mostly Confucian) proverb
Albert
Overall Feedback: I found this a bit stiff in the beginning but enjoyable as I got into the story. There were times when I was lost but overall the characters grew on me and the plot became easier to follow. If you can make it through the first 3 or 4 chapters you will enjoy this read. How many chances do you get to read a fantasy novel set in ancient China?

Point of View: There were so many characters infused within the first few chapters that I lost sight of the point of view. However, once you
Katie/Doing Dewey
Qin Shi Huangdi, the first emperor of China, could have been a hero for bringing peace to his country. Instead he chose to enslave many of his people to create grandiose projects, such as The Great Wall, pandering to his own ego. Fortunately, his force for evil is opposed by a group called The Dragon’s Spite, a group intent on seeing him overthrown. In order to face each other, each side must gather those with the power of the elements to fight on their side. The Dragon’s Spite’s best hope is th ...more
Brenda Knight
I LOVED this book! I read it so fast that it never even made it on my "currently reading" list. (Which is probably why I forgot to post my review. My apologies Mr. Jackson.)
I received a copy of this book from the author, Troy Jackson. I agreed to read it and post an honest review. I was not previously acquainted with Mr. Jackson or his writing.
This story is full of action. The characters are so well formed and the story is so well written that I could not put it down. I had never read anything l
Donna
This is a departure for me. I read everything, and enjoy fantasy and epic adventures but I was unfamiliar with Chinese folklore. Troy fixed that for me with this engrossing book about three young women with incredible powers that they are unaware of for most of their young lives. This tale begins (I hope!) a series of good versus evil against the an evil emperor of China that has brought all of the nations together, not in peace but through cruelty.

Troy pulled me in and never let go - try this
Melissa ownsbey
the cover was awesome if i didnt hate needles i would love to get this cover as a tattoo this book was great
it was well written some parts made me little mad but ater i calmed down
i went back to reading itthis is one of those books that has something for everyone it is a enjoyable read please read this book u will like it
thanku troy for writeing this great book in which i had the plesare of reading thanks for sending to me
Capri
Too much back story not enough conclusion. It felt like it took a very long time for anything to happen and it still feels like we are only skimming the top. I really love the characters and what they stand for. Maybe after the next book I will feel better about the whole.
Anastacia
This is an action-packed Ancient Chinese book. Three young women use the powers of the Elements to defeat an Evil Emperor. This was a good book, and I can't wait to read the others in the series.

The only negative thing is there are too many characters and plots.
Cassie
I absolutely enjoyed this book. Starting with the cover all the way till the last page, you will not be disappointed. I cannot wait to read the rest of the Elementals books.
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Gillian Teng
Gillian Teng marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Gareth Kent
Gareth Kent marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Annalise
Annalise marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Claudia Marcela
Claudia Marcela marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Willowblue
Willowblue marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Tanesha Wilcox
Tanesha Wilcox marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Taxel
Taxel marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Mark Farley
Mark Farley marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Claire Bear
Claire Bear marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Erik Willén
Erik Willén marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2013
  • The Secret Prophecy
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • The Black Stiletto: The First Diary--1958 (The Black Stiletto #1)
  • Atlantis: Fall of the Gods
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Zephyr The West Wind (Chaos Chronicles, #1)
  • Non-Compliance: The Sector
  • The Devoted
  • Peaches and the Gambler (A Peaches Donnelly Mystery, #1)
  • Hilltop Manor - Gale's Story
  • The Petrifying Plot Of The Plummeting Pants (Boy Zero Wannabe Hero #1)
  • Death Was the Other Woman
  • Mr. Wilkinson's Vegetables: A Cookbook to Celebrate the Garden
  • The Warlock (Waterspell, #1)
  • Mack 1 Red vs. Blue
  • Treehugger (Based on a Dream, #1)
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • The Writers' Conference