Start by marking “Patch” as Want to Read:
Patch

Patch

A boy shares three simple stories about his dog, Patch.
Published July 30th 2013 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Patch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patch

Barbara
Anyone who loves dogs will enjoy this title, which contains three short stories about a boy and his dog, Patch. It's easy to relate to Patch's experiences as he continues to chase after rabbits even when he always ends up injured from the chase. The second and third stories show that his boy loves him even when he has to sleep outside because of fleas and even when his performance in the dog contest is abysmal. Yes, they love each other, come what may. The story is sweetly sentimental and may ...more
Bethe
Mar 16, 2014 Bethe rated it liked it
Three cute short stories of a boy and his trusty canine companion, best buds through good times and bad. Endearing illustrations, 3 pages used just for the words rabbit, fleas, and the contest, kinda like chapter titles, wish they had illustrations on them. Hope the binding holds up. Don't forget to look at the back cover!
Kristen
Great book for newly independent readers with lots of visual cues, white space, and large print. Patch is our narrator's joy & responsibility, through the good and bad, and we follow them through three short, funny adventures. Simple in the best way! Love a good dog book :)
Regina Spiker
Patch is a sweet, little story of a doggie who unfortunately shares his life with fleas, likes to chase rabbits, and tries to win the talent contest. His boy loves him never the less and says "We're buddies through thick and thin...no matter what." Cute illustrations follow a simple storyline.
Elaine Bearden
Sep 13, 2013 Elaine Bearden rated it it was amazing
preS-g1, maybe 2

okay, maybe just 4 stars, but such a sweet, sweet story that depicts the relationship between a boy and his dog. Simple "chapters" share vignettes in the child/dog's relationship that reveal the strong emotional bond between them.
Carissa
Aug 04, 2014 Carissa rated it really liked it
Cute low level "chapter" book. Kids will enjoy this one about a boy and his loyal companion. I can't tell you how many 1st graders ask me for chapter books they can read so this one will definitely be one for me to show them.
Linda
Sep 30, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
I love this picture book; sweet vignettes of a dog and his boy. Illustrations are adorable. And the back cover is MAGNIFICENT. I mean, simply magnificent.
Tam
Jan 02, 2015 Tam rated it liked it
This book has cute illustrations and stories but was too young for my 7-year-old. It's written like a chapter book for very young readers because the three chapters are so short.
Clare and Tammy - Teachers for Teachers
Patch is sweet story about a boy and his dog that many first and second graders will enjoy reading. We also love the ending to this book, as it has an important message about friendship.
Brindi
Jan 10, 2014 Brindi rated it liked it
I could see using this for turning pages, as a beginning reader since it's divided into "chapters." I like the illustrations.
Jacqui
May 02, 2014 Jacqui rated it liked it
3.5 short chapters tell the story of the ups and downs of a companionship between a boy and his imperfect yet perfect pouch.
Colette
Apr 28, 2015 Colette rated it really liked it
Patch is a lot of trouble, but the best buddy and friend a boy could ever have, even with fleas. Paired it with Mine! by Shutta Crum.
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 08, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
A young boy tells about his dog in three short vignettes. In each one, the dog is imperfect in some way, but the boy loves him anyway.
Kellylou
Three sweet short stories detailing life with a dog. A must-read for dog lovers! My students adored all the stories.
Georgette
Georgette rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Jael
Jael rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Ama
Ama rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2014
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2015
Nov 07, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Natalie O
Natalie O rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Slonim is an award-winning illustrator of many children’s books, including The Deer Watch by Pat Lowery Collins. He lives with his wife, four kids, and a dog named Maggie in Indiana.
More about David Slonim...