Start by marking “Tell me a story” as Want to Read:
Tell me a story

Tell me a story

Set partly in the small, buzzing town of Amritsar and partly in New Delhi, this is the story of Rani, a young woman in contemporary India. She enjoys her work in a local beauty parlour, loves telling bedtime stories to her little nephew, and is blissfully in love with Shahrukh Khan, the movie star. However, her naturally happy disposition is marred by the real world. Her ...more
Published April 15th 2012 by Picador

To ask other readers questions about Tell me a story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell me a story

Sudipta
Aug 22, 2013 Sudipta rated it really liked it
A simple story about the quite tragedies that life brings with it and the inevitable changes that accompany those tragedies. A sedate, observant tale narrated with tremendous honesty and clarity, it resonated with the fatalist in me. The character of Rani was one I understood and the journey of her loss of innocence spoke to me....that is the biggest strength of this book, which avoids the pitfalls of pretensions and stays true to its character's tale.
While not a highly literary work, I recommen
Anuradha Goyal
Jan 31, 2013 Anuradha Goyal rated it liked it
Journey of a small town girl to a big city http://www.anureviews.com/tell-me-a-s...
Rusin Mishra
Well the byline of the novel should have been "A tale of loss,hope and loss"!
Kulpreet Yadav
Mar 31, 2014 Kulpreet Yadav rated it liked it
Though the plot is interesting, sadly, the narrative never rises above the mundane. It merely serves to describe errands, or at best, odd frustrations and resentments. I am not sure if that was the intention, because if it was, it has been achieved rather well.

I like small town stories. The lives are interconnected, in a manner, that the overlaps are deeper, the colours brighter, and the conflicts more meaningful.

Rani, I thought, could have had a stronger conflict. It saddened me to read about
Tanay Joshi
Mar 01, 2015 Tanay Joshi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Tanay by: no one
I appreciate this book and recommend to all my fellow friends to read it. Many of us should learn the value of money, breaking comfort zone and true to ourselves. Rani is true hero when as she is honest in Sadhna's place as servant and not stealing any stuff in her house. Dheeraj Kumar her father's character shows how keen should we look at our savings so it could help in our old age. I really love character of Bittu portrayed by Rupa Bajwa, it gives glimpses of many of my cousins in our fmaily. ...more
Roopinder Singh
Oct 26, 2014 Roopinder Singh rated it really liked it
The rich and the poor live alongside each other in India. So do they in Rupa Bajwa’s book. She is candid and compassionate. The author who won the XXIV Grinzane Cavour Prize for best first novel in June 2005, the Commonwealth Award in 2005 and Sahitya Akademi Award in 2006, has given her readers another novel, one that has stories that reflect the chaos of life.

For a longer review, please click here:
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Simple story,the narrative is interesting. Though many a times I read stories of this sort some how I felt the second half of the story makes the reader hook to the book. What I liked about the book story telling skill of Rani. I enjoyed the stories that Rani tells in the book. Good reading.
Shivani
May 27, 2014 Shivani rated it liked it
A simple story of a girl living in Amritsar and her experiences with life. Its a good read but was expecting more out of the story.
Bindu Manoj
Apr 21, 2013 Bindu Manoj rated it liked it
A simple story of ordinary people, without the pretensions of today's writers and their characters. Seemed to be a bit autobiographical, but then that is just my feeling :)
Neh Akanksha
Neh Akanksha rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Nikita
Nikita rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Nam
Nam rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Vidya
Vidya rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Pooja T
Pooja T rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Nisha D
Nisha D rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Readingnow000
Readingnow000 rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Sujata
Sujata rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Alessia
Alessia rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Namrata
Namrata rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Hanil
Hanil rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Souvik
Souvik rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Nishant Jha
Nishant Jha rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
May 03, 2012
Javeeth Ahamed
Javeeth Ahamed rated it did not like it
Oct 10, 2014
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Charis
Charis rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Parthasarathi
Parthasarathi rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2015