Last Man Through The Gate

Last Man Through The Gate

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Codrin has money, even status. A professor, no less. Not bad considering he’s only a Shreb. Until one day he loses it all, and has no choice but to gamble his family’s fate on a one-way ticket across the Gate. On the other side, in another world, he'll build a new life.

Except there is something wrong with the Gate…

Steampunk collides with time-travel to inspire this story o...more
ebook
Published (first published September 26th 2011)

Michele
I really enjoyed the premise of this book that race conflict might cause an otherwise prominent member of society to have to seek employment on the frontier, which in this case is another dimension that can only be reached through a portal. Codrin is the last man to make it through the portal before it needs to be shut down because time is running at different speeds in his new home and his old one. Desperate to have his family join him, Codrin and other emigrees work to turn the gate back on. T...more
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
I won this as a free book from Librarything in exchange for an honest review.

I like science fiction. So I went in really wanting to like this book. There are good things about it. It's interesting and kept me reading, which seems harder and harder these days. For the most part, it's well written and free of grammar errors. I was invested enough to want to know if the main character would ever find his family.

But after the first part, it kind of gets confusing. I might have spent more time figur...more
Bill Thibadeau
I was quite interested in this novella as I started reading. The storyline of the gate was a great premise that unfortunately failed to go anywhere. I wanted there to be more of a story but that would have meant a novel instead of a novella.

I do not think very much of the character development. I never felt anything for any of the characters.

The ending left we waiting for the ending to happen. It just ended. I was expecting to see a single page that said - ....continued in the next installment.....more
Mark
Sep 29, 2011 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Cordrin Alteanu is a Shreb, who’s crossed a time gate from his home city of Jastrevich to the Free States, part of the New World. He’s hoping to make a new and better life for him, his wife and two daughters but discovers he’s effectively been sold into slavery. Joining his comrades, they rebel and try to get back through the gate, but time moves differently and it’s now 60 years later at Jastrevich and Codrin’s only living relative is a grand-daughter. I’m not a big sci-fi buff but this dragged...more
Alan
If you've read 'The reality war' series by Tim C Taylor you will welcome this story that offers a glimpse into the Elstow Abbey Time Station. I would suggest reading this first and then pick up 'The Reality War' books. I enjoyed this SF read, short enough for a single sitting but yet enough depth to keep it thoroughly interesting. This novella is well written and engaging. I particularly enjoyed journeying with the main character whose story of hope and loneliness is quite haunting.
Randall
"I'm finished" as in "I put this aside because I couldn't stand the writing and the story wasn't interesting enough for me to overcome it and, hence, am unlikely to ever read this story to completion."

The exposition is hard to swallow. The thoughts and observations of the protagonist ring false nearly from word one.

Just NOT for me.
Lesley McCullough
Good read however I was just getting into the story and interested in the characters when it ended all too soon. Very descriptive and atmospheric but as it stands I felt too much was left unanswered, plenty of scope for a sequel. Would make a bette read if fully developed into a novel.

Denise
May 04, 2012 Denise added it
Never finished. Could not get into it.
Mallory Anne-Marie
Mallory Anne-Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Roy Huff
Roy Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2013
Rahadyan
Rahadyan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2013
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2012
Xan
Xan marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2012
A.B.R.
A.B.R. added it
Jan 13, 2012
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2012
Somanyebooks.com
Somanyebooks.com marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2011
Sift Book Reviews
Sift Book Reviews marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2011
Shannan Hinners
Shannan Hinners marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2011
The Slough of Despond (The Reality War, #1) The City of Destruction (The Reality War, #2) Future Speculation (a science fiction short story from Greyhart Press) The Meandering Mayhem of Thogron Throatbiter Format YOUR Print Book with Createspace