Start by marking “Recall! Return of the IRR” as Want to Read:
Recall! Return of the IRR

Recall! Return of the IRR

4.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  9 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
There hadn't been a full-scale recall of the Individual Ready Reserves since the Korean War. In January of 1991, with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of the Soviet Union, many people believed it would take World War III to trigger a recall of the IRR. Many people were wrong.

They came from cities and farms and towns in every corner of the country. With only a
Published August 29th 2011 by Createspace (first published August 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Recall! Return of the IRR, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recall! Return of the IRR

Sharon
Aug 21, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, memoir
This book took me back in time. During Operation Desert Shield/Storm, I was the deputy public affairs officer for a military medical center. During those conflicts, author Doug DePew was recalled to active duty as potential backfill for casualties (some of whom came through the medical center where I worked).

DePew outlines his plans to become a recording engineer -- plans he was well on his way to accomplishing -- that were interrupted by his recall. He then shows his readers exactly what it's l
RJ
Jan 16, 2013 RJ rated it it was amazing
Recall! Return of the IRR is a well-written account of a very unique military experience. Author Doug DePew describes being ordered back to active duty in support of Operation Desert Storm in vivid detail.

I estimate that I've written over 1000 resumes for military personnel looking to transition into civilian jobs. Each one involved spending about an hour talking about various aspects of military life with each soldier. I thought I had a strong handle on the military experience until I read this
Jeff Dawson
Jan 18, 2013 Jeff Dawson rated it really liked it
Answer the call!

This is the second book I've read by Doug Depew. This one isn't as exciting or tense as the first, but it still has a place for historians.

The time is 1990. The place Florida. The war-Desert Storm.

Mr. Depew has finished his four year term—two years in Germany and two years in Colorado.

After his honorable discharge, he embarks on his dream job in the music industry. He is less then a month from graduation and obtaining an internship when his father calls and tells him he has a ma
Lynn Hallbrooks
Sep 05, 2011 Lynn Hallbrooks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: now-on-my-kindle
I should say two things up front: First, this book in general is for people who have a military background. Also possibly for family members of people who are/were in the military. Secondly, a mature audience rating is recommended.

As for the book itself, it is autobiographical. It sheds light on the author and his background. I never read Doug DePew's first book, SAT & BAF! Memories of a Tower Rat, but I feel sure that I will at some point in the near future.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoye
Darcia Helle
May 29, 2012 Darcia Helle rated it it was amazing
This book is a fascinating glimpse into the life of an ex-military man who is recalled to service when war once again threatens to erupt. We see the total disruption to the life he'd been building. Then we travel with him to his new military base and feel the instant camaraderie between these men who'd been pulled back from their civilian lives.

I've never been in the military. My husband is ex-Army, though we got married after he'd been out for several years. I don't have much background in mil
Michael Phelps
Michael Phelps rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Zoe Zalta
Zoe Zalta marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2012
Doug DePew
Jun 10, 2012 Doug DePew added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Best Indie Books (BIB)
Best Indie Books (BIB) rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2012
Java Davis
Java Davis rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
Edward M.
Edward M. rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Goodreads Librari...: Need to merge editions... 2 28 Mar 03, 2012 07:53PM
The author was an Infantryman in the Army and a Master at Arms/Storekeeper in the Navy. He has a BSEd in history from Southwest Missouri State University and has taught high school, been a correctional officer, taught juvenile delinquents for the state, and it now a teacher in a federal prison.
More about Doug DePew...