Matthew > Status Update

Matthew
Matthew added a status update
Friday morning rant: My Amazon account was hacked over the past few days. Had to contact Amazon for intervention. My account ended up being wiped and terminated.

Reminder: Kindle books might be convenient, but no one is going to hack your bookshelves at home and cause them to be wiped out of existence!
Feb 08, 2019 05:50AM

121 likes ·  flag

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)


message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Lewis Wow! Can Amazon restore any of your purchases?


message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Tom wrote: "Wow! Can Amazon restore any of your purchases?"

That is the next thing to find out. The email they sent about the termination does not bode well!


message 3: by Annie ⚜️ (new)

Annie ⚜️ Oh no! That is absolutely not right. They must have evidence of your purchases and be able to restore them. I'm so sorry but they must have had this happen before to others and should have some protocol in place.


message 4: by ScottishFlower (new)

ScottishFlower Omg! I had no idea that could even happen, though it makes sense that it can. Awful!!


message 5: by Sakina (new)

Sakina Carter Oh no! Sorry you had to go through that and you just scared me a little, I live by my Amazon/Kindle account..


message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Annie ⚜️ wrote: "Oh no! That is absolutely not right. They must have evidence of your purchases and be able to restore them. I'm so sorry but they must have had this happen before to others and should have some pro..."

Fingers crossed that this is the case. Luckily most of my reading is physical books and the majority of the Kindle books I read are downloaded through the library. But, it would be nice to get the ones I own back!


message 7: by Matthew (new)

Matthew ScottishFlower wrote: "Omg! I had no idea that could even happen, though it makes sense that it can. Awful!!"

Yeah - I heard a story about someone who kept returning physical items to the point they finally cancelled his account saying he was abusing the return policy - his kindle became an expensive paperweight (instead of a Paperwhite! *BOOM* That pun just came to me - almost makes it worth going through all of this ::)


message 8: by Matthew (last edited Feb 08, 2019 06:09AM) (new)

Matthew Sakina wrote: "Oh no! Sorry you had to go through that and you just scared me a little, I live by my Amazon/Kindle account.."

Yeah, I guess we "own" the books, but only as much as our account is stable! That is probably in the fine print!


message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson Sorry to hear about this Matthew! Hope you manage to get it all sorted out. Hope you have a nice weekend to make up for it. 😊


message 10: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Nicola wrote: "Sorry to hear about this Matthew! Hope you manage to get it all sorted out. Hope you have a nice weekend to make up for it. 😊"

Thanks Nicola! Anything has to be better than this! :)


message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Aw man, I'm so sorry Matthew! That seriously stinks! I hope Amazon will be responsive and help you get all of your kindle books back! Wishing you a blessed weekend!


message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Eileen wrote: "Aw man, I'm so sorry Matthew! That seriously stinks! I hope Amazon will be responsive and help you get all of your kindle books back! Wishing you a blessed weekend!"

C'Mon, Eileen! (ah, I have been saving that one up since you started commenting on my stuff - feels good to use it! :))

Thank you so much - I will re-post back here with any developments!


message 13: by Stepheny (new)

Stepheny This sucks the big one. I'm really sorry to hear this. :( If I owned every kindle book I have, I'd need a much bigger house. ;) Is there anyway for them to restore your previous purchases?


message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Stepheny wrote: "This sucks the big one. I'm really sorry to hear this. :( If I owned every kindle book I have, I'd need a much bigger house. ;) Is there anyway for them to restore your previous purchases?"

Going to contact them today and find out. I will report back here my findings so that others will have the info in case the same thing happens to them. If I cannot get them back, I am guessing many people will feel a lot less secure about their Kindle collection!


message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie Also, it's a bad idea to keep your credit card on file with Amazon. Promise!


message 16: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Julie wrote: "Also, it's a bad idea to keep your credit card on file with Amazon. Promise!"

With any new account I set up - will probably think and rethink how I set up payments!


message 17: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Oh No! So sorry to hear that and I've been hearing of it more and more lately!


message 18: by Mei (new)

Mei OMG!!!! I'm so sorry, Matthew... *hugs*


message 19: by Julie (new)

Julie Matthew,
As long as my credit card was on file with Amazon, I had my numbers stolen every 6-8 months. I can't tell you how many times I dealt with credit card fraud. As soon as I pulled my card off of there, it hasn't happened again. It's been almost 3 years now since I did it.


message 20: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Holly wrote: "Oh No! So sorry to hear that and I've been hearing of it more and more lately!"

Thanks - it is sad what the world is coming to. I mean, I know there are worse problems and worse suffering than this inconvenience, but it sucks when someone violates an entertainment and shopping service you use pretty much every day!

My kids watch Amazon Video and use Alexa - they cannot do that until I get this figured out. We send gifts to people through Amazon - cannot do that until we get this figured out. Etc.


message 21: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Mei wrote: "OMG!!!! I'm so sorry, Matthew... *hugs*"

Thank you! :)


message 22: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Sorry to hear that. I hope Amazon will put your books back for you.


message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Sorry to hear that Matthew,fingers crossed it will get sorted.


message 24: by Bill (new)

Bill Lynas That's awful news. Hope that Amazon get everything sorted out for you.


message 25: by Trish (new)

Trish Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I once was mistaken for another Amazon user who had her books removed for breach of conduct (whatever that meant). I demanded to get all my books back free of cost since I had already bought them legally and it was a case of mistaken identity. They did after confirming I was innocent.

But yeah, the problem with ebooks - not only on Amazon. It's one of the biggest problems I have with digital books and it's why I always download them onto my external harddrive.


message 26: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta Oh my goodness, that's messed up.

Matthew wrote: " If I cannot get them back, I am guessing many people will feel a lot less secure about their Kindle collection! "

I know I will! 😰


message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bill wrote: "That's awful news. Hope that Amazon get everything sorted out for you."

Andrea wrote: "Sorry to hear that Matthew,fingers crossed it will get sorted."

Kelli wrote: "Sorry to hear that. I hope Amazon will put your books back for you."

Thank you Bill, Andrea, and Kelli! :D


message 28: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Trish wrote: "Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I once was mistaken for another Amazon user who had her books removed for breach of conduct (whatever that meant). I demanded to get all my books back free of cost ..."


Good to know there may be a chance! They were very friendly and helpful when I called last night. Also, and I didn't mention this earlier, the hacker sent something to me from my account that charged my credit card (guessing that was a "see what I got away with" middle finger). I am hoping they will refund that, too!


message 29: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Cendaquenta wrote: "Oh my goodness, that's messed up.

Matthew wrote: " If I cannot get them back, I am guessing many people will feel a lot less secure about their Kindle collection! "

I know I will! 😰"


Fingers crossed!


message 30: by Colleen (new)

Colleen That sucks!! It should definitely be like iTunes or Xbox Live where you can redownload anything you've purchased!


message 31: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Good luck Matthew, I’m guessing this has scared all of us a little. I mostly go for physical books but still have over 200 e books. *gulp*


message 32: by Brindi Michele (new)

Brindi Michele Oh noooooooooo!


message 33: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Matthew wrote: "Good to know there may be a chance! They were very friendly and helpful when I called last night. Also, and I didn't mention this earlier, the hacker sent something to me from my account that charged my credit card (guessing that was a "see what I got away with" middle finger). I am hoping they will refund that, too! "

I'm sure you're not the first person to whom this has happened (which of course makes all of us feel more secure!) so hopefully they'll take care of this efficiently. I'm sure there is a record of what books you have that will allow them to restore it! Hopefully soon! Will come back here for updates!


message 34: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Grice So sorry to hear that Matthew! Amazon does a piss poor job of packing books for shipment too. I routinely have to send back damaged books.


message 35: by Trish (new)

Trish Matthew wrote: "Good to know there may be a chance! They were very friendly and helpful when I called last night. Also, and I didn't mention this earlier, the hacker sent something to me from my account that charged my credit card (guessing that was a "see what I got away with" middle finger). I am hoping they will refund that, too! "

Well, I never had a negative experience with Amazon's customer service which is really rare (there usually is always something).


message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul E. Morph If it gives you a shred of hope, Matthew, when something similar happened to me, Amazon (UK) were eventually able to restore all my purchased books to me. They couldn't do anything about the documents I'd e-mailed to my Kindle account but I didn't really expect them to.


Bark (Has Atrocious Taste) That is horrible and devastating for a reader. I am so sorry.


message 38: by Ginger (new)

Ginger This is terrible Matthew!! I have so many books on my Kindle. I just changed my password. You scared me to act. haha
I hope you get all your books back. Let me know if you need someone to storm down to Amazon headquarters and beat up on Bezos for you!


message 39: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Ginger wrote: "This is terrible Matthew!! I have so many books on my Kindle. I just changed my password. You scared me to act. haha
I hope you get all your books back. Let me know if you need someone to storm dow..."


I recommend activating the 2-Step verification, too. That's what they did after they hacked it to keep me out! :(

This morning I have been activating 2-Step verification on all of my other accounts and plan to do so with Amazon after I establish a new account!


message 40: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Matthew wrote: "This morning I have been activating 2-Step verification on all of my other accounts and plan to do so with Amazon after I establish a new account! "

Smart!


message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am so sorry that happened to you Matthew! That's terrible! I have so many books on my kindle. I didn't have 2 step verification but now I do. I hope you can get your books back!


message 42: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Guzman I am so sorry to hear this happened to you Matthew. I haven' t had this happen to me and hope it never does. Well, real books are still the best.


message 43: by Marco (new)

Marco G that sucks. Very sorry to hear.


message 44: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Paul wrote: "If it gives you a shred of hope, Matthew, when something similar happened to me, Amazon (UK) were eventually able to restore all my purchased books to me. They couldn't do anything about the docume..."

I will probably be referencing this story when I try and get them back! :)


message 45: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Colleen wrote: "That sucks!! It should definitely be like iTunes or Xbox Live where you can redownload anything you've purchased!"

Well, I could have if they didn't completely cancel the account. Curious, do iTunes or XBox let you move content if the original account is completely deactivated?


message 46: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Adrian wrote: "Good luck Matthew, I’m guessing this has scared all of us a little. I mostly go for physical books but still have over 200 e books. *gulp*"

Yeah - I was thinking that I have actually already most of the top of my TBR titles I have purchased on Kindle, so that is nice.


message 47: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Marco wrote: "that sucks. Very sorry to hear."

Bark wrote: "That is horrible and devastating for a reader. I am so sorry."

Brindi Michele wrote: "Oh noooooooooo!"

Marco, Bark, and Brindi - you, ALL THE SUCK!

Thanks for the kind words!


message 48: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Stephanie wrote: "I am so sorry that happened to you Matthew! That's terrible! I have so many books on my kindle. I didn't have 2 step verification but now I do. I hope you can get your books back!"

Right on - after my experience, I am going to be pushing the 2-Step verification. I think this would have not been possible if I had used it in the first place!


message 49: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Charlotte wrote: "I am so sorry to hear this happened to you Matthew. I haven' t had this happen to me and hope it never does. Well, real books are still the best."

Exactly - while I will still enjoy the convenience of a Kindle book in certain situations - this pushes me even more towards real books FTW!


Iryna *Book and Sword* Oh my goodness what a nightmare! So sorry that happened to you


« previous 1
back to top