Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > The Watchman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments just wondering does anyone but me want to watch this movie

message 2: by Lynn (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:35AM) (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) It's called "Watchmen" (Unless you're talking about a different movie than the one I'm thinking of?)

:)

I'm very excited about it. I recently read the graphic novel & was impressed. We'll see how well they adapt it - it looks great.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5353 comments The movie will suck. It is directed by Zack Snyder, who gave us the vile 300.

message 4: by Alex DeLarge (last edited Jan 28, 2009 06:32PM) (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I'm not interested. I've read the graphic novel 5-6 times and every page is infused with irony and wit, excellently constructed panel by panel narrative. The story within a story is a mirror to the world at large...and hommage to EC comics (of which I'm an avid collector). The movie's trailer already sucks...at leats 2/3 of it is in freakin' slow motion!

Here's an interesting question: Can a film be judged by the trailer (or advertising) alone?

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Even if it's going to suck, I'm still compelled to see it. Just seeing the trailer, I'm already forming a list of complaints. I must let my angry fangirl roam free on this movie.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
I will have to see it as well--too big an Alan Moore fan to resist.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5353 comments No, I'd have to say that a movie can't really be judged on the advertising or trailer. I will gladly judge it on its director, sight unseen, for the most part, especially when the director is the director of the vile 300.

message 8: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments u dont know that it will suck or not its looks really awesome... and hey u do the same thing my dad does thinks one movie will suck and then goes and watches it and is like hey that was a good movie after all

message 9: by Cutiepie (new)

Cutiepie | 21 comments rite on Arile witchman looks awesome, duz yr dad do that my dad duz it 2 he's real funny when he sez movies will suck and then they dont hes all whoa but he's a teacher at a school so there you go

message 10: by Phillip (last edited Jan 29, 2009 10:46AM) (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments yeah, school teachers should always be held suspect. i mean, after all, they're trying to get you to think, and that's like, totally dangerous.

the watchmen graphic novel series is amazing. but tom has a good point.

message 11: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I judge more on the creative team (director, cinematographer, writer, or composer) than on trailer alone...but how many trailers have you sat through and thought "what a piece of junk"? I always look for the credits and it's always suspect when they flash for only a few seconds, like the studio is trying to hide information:)

My goal this year is to see every film available that Bernard Herrmann scored!

message 12: by Phillip (last edited Feb 03, 2009 11:11AM) (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments hermann's participation surely made me want to see the devil and daniel webster!

the creative team is certainly something i consider when i think about viewing a film. it's hard to say these days what really draws me in - sometimes it's an actor (oh, gary oldman is in it? - i'm there!), or the director (what's this, a bergman film i didn't know about?), or yeah - a composer (always browsing for more takemitsu). the opinions of friends i trust, reviews, all of the above. i can't remember the last time i saw a film because the trailer looked good, although i did see a completely minimal (and intelligent) trailer lately that had a few actors i like, and i was interested - but i've forgotten what film it was at this point - so much for even effective trailers!

message 13: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Alex DeLarge wrote: "My goal this year is to see every film available that Bernard Herrmann scored!
"

I have his soundtrack album for "obsession" and it has one of the best comments I've ever heard on Herrmann: he could make blank film compelling.

When I was in college I went to see the movie "Stavisky" knowing nothing about it except that Stephen Sondheim had done the score. (His only traditional film score.) Great score, and really good film.

message 14: by Alex DeLarge (last edited Jan 30, 2009 06:22AM) (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I'll have to check out STAVISKY. Daniel, do you know if it is available on DVD? I can't access Netflix at work to check.

message 15: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments According to Maltin, "Stavisky" is on DVD. The story (based on a real life swindler in Paris in the '30s) is very topical today.

Alas.

message 16: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
The hermann score of taxi driver is one of my favorites.

message 17: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments It was only last year that I realized it was a Herrmann score! Is this the only time he used a saxaphone in a film score? My favorite is still THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL...and 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD...and PSYCHO...VERTIGO...TWISTED NERVE...JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS...ok, I'll stop now:)

message 18: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Alex DeLarge wrote: "It was only last year that I realized it was a Herrmann score! Is this the only time he used a saxaphone in a film score? My favorite is still THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL...and 7th VOYAGE OF SINB..."

Citizen Kane, North By Northwest, The Man Who Knew Too Much (where he appears on screen as himself!), Cape Fear, Fahrenheit 451, The Bride Wore Black, Obsession...

message 19: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments The list goes on and on....

OBSSESSION is near the top of my netflix queue. I've been searching for TWISTED NERVE but it seems the only version on DVD is a pan & scan from the UK. Not sure I want to purchase a cropped film.

message 20: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments "Obsession" is a personal favorite of mine. It's not a universally admired choice, but it just knocked me out the first time I saw it. (It helps if you have a crush on Genevieve Bujold.)

message 21: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5353 comments Ugh, OBSESSION, feh. Another De Palma knockoff. The score is really cool, and it has what I think is John Lithgow's debut, but a pretty silly movie.

message 22: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Tom wrote: "Ugh, OBSESSION, feh. Another De Palma knockoff. The score is really cool, and it has what I think is John Lithgow's debut, but a pretty silly movie."

Well, there's no accounting for taste. One's of DePalma's most romantic films with a great, unexpected ending. Not silly in the slightest.

YMMV.

message 23: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5353 comments I liked OBSESSION better when it was called VERTIGO.

message 24: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments The key difference being that "Obsession" has heart while "Vertigo" is a cold film. In the end the comparisons between the two films prove unimportant.

message 25: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5353 comments Unimportant to some, interesting to others.

message 26: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Perhaps, by people who miss the forest for the trees.

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5353 comments But not to those who know the proper context for judging Forest in relation to Trees.

message 28: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Which is precisely why you make that mistake.

message 29: by Tom (last edited Feb 05, 2009 06:55AM) (new)

Tom | 5353 comments Daniel, I have made no mistake. I expressed a preference for VERTIGO over OBSESSION, on the grounds that OBSESSION is a pale knock-off of Hitchcock's film, which in my opinion it is. It is not a matter of missing the forest for the trees, it is a clear and simple preference for one film over another.

message 30: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Tom, you have the most annoying habit of expressing your "preferences" as if they are Holy Writ. The notion that "Obsession" is a "pale knock-off" of "Vertigo" is a common misconception, often made by people pretending to be profound when in fact they simply didn't appreciate DePalma's film.

Your mistake is not in expressing your opinions. It is expressing them in a way that implies anyone who dares disagree with you is sadly wrong. And, as usual, they are not.

message 31: by Tom (last edited Feb 06, 2009 04:37AM) (new)

Tom | 5353 comments I imply nothing. I express my preferences, nothing more. Must I continually add IMO and IMHO to everything? And somone who contends that MOULIN ROUGE is the "war crime of musicals" really isn't in a position to be complaining about how others express themselves.

By dismissing my contention that OBSESSION is a tired knockoff of VERTIGO you yourself express your opinion in a way that implies anyone who dares disagree with you is sadly wrong. Get off the professorial high horse, man, this isn't your classroom. Others' opinions are just as valid as yours, and should not be dismissed just because they aren't the opinions of a PROFESSIONAL FILM CRITIC like yourself.

Don't like my posts? Don't read them. I'll gladly extend you that courtesy from now on.

message 32: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Girls, girls. You're both pretty.

message 33: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Is there an ignore function here?

Worst case of projection I've seen.

message 34: by Tom (last edited Feb 07, 2009 02:29PM) (new)

Tom | 5353 comments Yes, Daniel, you can block my posts altogether, as I will now be blocking yours.

message 35: by smetchie (new)

smetchie Daniel M. wrote: "Tom, you have the most annoying habit of expressing your "preferences" as if they are Holy Writ. The notion that "Obsession" is a "pale knock-off" of "Vertigo" is a common misconception, often mad..."

Pot, Kettle......Kettle, Pot.

message 36: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Gretchen wrote: "Daniel M. wrote: "Tom, you have the most annoying habit of expressing your "preferences" as if they are Holy Writ. The notion that "Obsession" is a "pale knock-off" of "Vertigo" is a common misconception, often mad..."

Pot, Kettle......Kettle, Pot."

Not really. As I've expressly stated more than once, anyone who has seen a film is entitled to their own opinion of it. I merely express mine.

message 37: by Danielle (last edited Mar 06, 2009 07:32AM) (new)

Danielle (daniness) | 4 comments Watchmen didn't disappoint.
It was raw and unadulterated. As a movie it captured human behavior and emotion in our society at it's best. The pessimist, the ever-hopeful the emotionally detatched ,vindicator and the tormented.Elements of vengeance , justice, chaos, balance order and destruction and isolation were portrayed through it's characters . It's a lot to digest at once so take a moment to debrief yourself .Parts were brutally raw.I'll have to watch it one more time .Not for kids...

message 38: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Definitely not for kids. I made a point of emphasizing that in my review.

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Daniel M. wrote: "Definitely not for kids. I made a point of emphasizing that in my review."

Definitely not for kids...There was a little girl sitting behind me and it made me cringe sometimes. Otherwise, an interesting and visually stunning film with engaging characters. I may have to read the graphic novel now.

message 40: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments I just reread the graphic novel, one of only two I've read. ("V for Vendetta," also by Alan Moore, was the other.) If you've grown up with the superhero mythologies of DC or Marvel, it's absolutely worth reading.

message 41: by Cutiepie (new)

Cutiepie | 21 comments Daniel, can yu post yr review? I'd reely like to read it!

message 42: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Cutiepie wrote: "Daniel, can yu post yr review? I'd reely like to read it!"

You can read it here:

http://208.112.77.53/datebook/moviere...

It's only about 500 words long so it's nothing in depth.

message 43: by Cutiepie (new)

Cutiepie | 21 comments Kewl! Thanks Daniel M! You're reviews are so smart I feel like I shud just ask you before I see anyting! This Washman movie doesnt look good I mean if I didnt read the book I wont get the movie so why see the movie if I didnt read the book?

message 44: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniness) | 4 comments Daniel.
Read your review and felt that you may have underestimated it's audience.Perhaps in the end we will see how it was received. I think the younger generations can really relate to the brutality of our ever changing society because they are slammed with media from all directions .At one point the slow change happened progressively now we are innodated with unedited t.v,radio, ect.No one felt bad when the child molester got his due . The movie graphically shows all of our dark corners, that everyone can relate to . I'm hoping we are raising a generation of thinkers and people who will reflect on the kind of society we are and how we can be. Can't have the order without the chaos. It's all a delicate balance.

message 45: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments My reviews there are written with a general audience in mind, not just "younger generations." I think the film is hard to digest for people not familiar with the book. Not in all cases, perhaps, but my suspicion has been confirmed in subsequent conversations with people who have seen the movie.

I agree we're consuming media in new and different ways but someone coming to "Watchmen" uninitiated will need to pay close attention to a dense and complex story. Over two and a half hours, that's asking a lot. I'll be very curious to see how the film fares this weekend, now that the fans have all gone to see it.

message 46: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments nice review, daniel. i've read the book and was excited about the movie being made until i realized it was the same director from 300....but you've breathed some life back into my interest.

at any rate, i'll get around to catching it soon. thanks for posting the link to your review.

message 47: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments For anyone who cares, my reviews are generally available at rottentomatoes.com.

I hope no one is eager to see the movie I had to review THIS week: the remake of "The Last House on the Left."

message 48: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments another remake disaster?

message 49: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Not that the '72 film was all that special.

Oddly, the origination of these ghastly films was Bergman's "The Virgin Spring." Something got lost in the translation.

message 50: by Phillip (last edited Mar 12, 2009 10:54AM) (new)

Phillip | 10605 comments last house on the left was drafted from the virgin spring?

i can't remember if i ever saw the original last house on the left or not, but the virgin spring is one of my favorite bergman films...

« previous 1