Gather Yourselves Together discussion

Off-Topic > Reading Habbits

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 81 comments Okay, I saw this topic in another group and thought it was really interesting to read about other peoples reading habits. I was going to ask my wonderful friend Tiffany on here about hers but then I thought it would be interesting to read about my friends in this book clubs reading habits.

So I will start with my habits…. For some reason the publishing company plays a big role on me when deciding the book I am going to read. When I buy a book written by a certain author and get another book by the same author, they have to be published by the same company. I have gotten rid of books before because I bought a new book by a different publisher that I like better and the other book that I have I will replace it with the new book by the same publisher. I just like the way it looks on my bookshelf I think, ha! All the books on my book shelf have to be in alphabetical order by author. I haven’t gone to the library in years because I like to be the first person to have a read the book or I at least like to have the book in really good condition.

For the reading part… I am almost always reading the book in my bed which is in the corner of the room. I will put up three pillows so I am at a laying down sitting position. I have to be one side of my bed because I have to lean over on the other side of the bed to highlight, so therefore I have to rollover. I will read the back of the book and then open it up. I check to see how many pages there are in the book and then will look at the copyright date, then go from there. I have to read every page and every word. I will usually read the first few chapters a couple of times to make sure I am really getting it. I have a highlighter with me for almost every book I read. I keep a piece of paper and a pen across the room on my desk to take notes. I keep it across the room so I will only get up for the important things because if I were to leave it by my side I would be writing stuff down most of the time and never finish a book, ha.

So what are some of your reading habbits???

message 2: by Tiffany (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

Tiffany | 194 comments Mod
Hmmm... good thoughts Eric. I mean about me being wonderful. But onto my reading habits:

I admit, I am somewhat of a library person. However, Eric's influence and my constant late fees have driven me to buy every book I read, even the ones that end up being horrible. I often got books from the library, but during the school year, I almost never have time to read, but I didn't want to take the book back til I was done, but usually didn't have time to stop and recheck it out, so I just let the late fees pile up. Plus, I do like the idea of having a whole collection of books that I have read that I can pass on to my kids (or more likely nieces and nephews).

I like the look and smell of old books, so I love to find them at thrift stores and used book stores. (I don't mean old as in ripped and torn, but gently used with classic covers.) That being said, there is nothing like buying a brand new book without a single crease in the pages. So, my collection of books is an interesting mix of the two.

I love reading and have been doing it of my own free will since I was a little kid. I usually sit on the couch in my living room to read. I have to be sitting up as I find it awkward to read while laying down. I used to read in bed, but I have a hard time sleeping and was told the only two things that you should be doing in your bed are sleeping and having sex. That way, when you lay down, your body recognizes it's time for sleep and you fall asleep easier. Since I learned that 4 years ago, I have not read a book in bed. And yes, I do sleep better. I never write in my books, but maybe I should. I think I'll try it with February's book and see if I get more out of it that way if I go back to chapters throughout the month.

In the last few years I have really latched onto Audiobooks. My dad has an audible account and I believe we have over 100 books downloaded. I love listening to an audiobook while driving in my car. It makes my commute so much easier. I also love hearing how things are really pronounced. For example, I was listening to the audiobook for Snow Crash when Y.T. met Ng and I know if I had looked at that before I heard it, I would have analyzed it for hours! But I heard it pronounced "Eeng" so I never had to question it. Sometimes, but not often, I will go back and forth between a hard copy and an audiobook, such as I am with Snow Crash. I think I prefer to stick to one mode though.

Lastly, I have started the process of organizing my books, since I just moved into my room. I think it's an awesome idea to have one bookshelf that holds my books I haven't read yet and one that holds the ones I have. So, that's how it shall be.

message 3: by Becca (last edited Jan 29, 2009 08:24AM) (new)

Becca | 160 comments I will update how I read soon, but right now I just wanted to say

:) HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIFFANY

LOVE YA

message 4: by Tiffany (new)

Thanks! Love you too!

message 5: by Nicolle (last edited Jan 29, 2009 11:43AM) (new)

Nicolle | 49 comments I don't have a familiar pattern with what type of books i read...if it looks interesting or is recomended i'll read it.

I always read the blurb first and if it's in a sleeve i'll read the inside of that too. I like to read my books from page 1 onwards as i find reading a book backwards quite hard.

I pretty much read anywhere and everywhere when i have a spare moment and most nights in bed propped up eith pillows (how can you read lieing down? gives me arm ache)top since Tiffany says it can cause bad sleep. I can't remember a day when i haven't read, it's just the way i am like a routine.

I buy books the odd time but mostly hire from a library. since i am working in a library for work experience for 2 weeks i keep thinking 'Ooh that looks good' and taking it home for myself.

I keep a log of each book i read in a special notebook. I started it at the begining of last year and have got about 80 books in it.

The books i do buy are on my bookshelf in alphabetical order of the authors surname.

and Happy Birthday Tiffany :)

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Thanks Nicolle!

I was doing that for awhile too, where I was logging all the books I read into a little notebook. I would rate them with stars and put the date I read it. But then it was too hard to draw stars because the notebook was really quite small. So I started doing triangles and that seemed nerdy, so I kind of fell out of practice. But I wish I still did it, cause I think it's an awesome idea.

message 7: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments On that same vein, happy late birthday, Tiff, from your cousin who loves you but is a little lame. I hope it was great!

On to my reading habits. I am an actual librarian, so I'm a big fan of library books. I also love owning books, but I almost never buy new books. I like getting new books, but I usually ask for them instead of buying them. I never buy books new that I haven't read (anymore). I buy used books a lot, and those I don't care if I've read, since it's cheap and not a huge loss if I don't end up liking it.

I'm also a big fan of audio books. I'm usually listening to two at a time-one a home, and one on my mp3 player. I'll listen to the one at home while I clean, do laundry, get ready for work, etc. I listen to the other one while I'm walking, driving, etc.

I often have more than one book going at a time too, although if I'm reading something kind of difficult, like Snow Crash, I try to only read it, so I don't get confused or give up on the book before I finish. That said, if I don't like a book, I really won't finish it. I can't see any point in wasting my time on something lame.

I love rereading books that I like, or at least super exciting bits, or something. I also have the unfortunate habit of skipping ahead to find out what's going to happen. I try to avoid that, but sometimes I get really impatient.

Hmm, what else? I often read while I eat my lunch or breakfast, and other than that, I almost always read in bed. Even if it's the middle of the day. That's what happens when you live in a room. Good times.

message 8: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments My reading habits!

I like to read in bed. (This probably has a little to do with the fact that I don't have a couch) I usually lay down and read. So I can toss from side to side when I get uncomfortable.

I rarely buy books. I usually get them from the library for 2 reasons.
1. I am cheap. I don't want to buy it unless I know I will reread it later. The books I do buy are usually a series I like, so I buy it after I have read the first 3 or so books.
2. I move A LOT. I don't want to pack up a hundred books and move them all over carnation.

The books I do have, I organize by series and genre.

I also listen to audio books a lot. It is sometimes easier when you have kids to listen then read. I can put it on my iPod and listen to it while I get ready, drive, clean, ect.

When choosing what books to read, I try to find ones that are a series. That way if I like it, then I have my next few books picked out for me and I don't have to think about it.

I have found I don't really care for the "Classics" you know the ones that they MAKE you read in school. They are usually boring to me.

If I had to pick a genre that I like best. It would be Fantasy. My current favorite book series are Artemus Fowl (which is slowly going down hill) and Fabelhaven. (which is slowly getting better).

message 9: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 58 comments I know everyone did this a billion years ago, but I'm going to participate, dang it, even if I'm the loser that does so way after it's not cool anymore.

Chelsea's Reading Habits
I almost never ever buy new books. I don't even necessarily like new books better than old ones and this is why--have you ever gotten a new book and you feel like you can't open the pages all the way for fear of making it look un-new? It's super obnoxious. Or if you read in the tub and accidentally get a little water on the cover and it's new, you are super sad. I can read an old book just as well as a new book (sometimes better!), plus if I buy used, I can afford MORE. And I am all about quantity. I have oodles of books, but they are not organized well at all. I try to keep series together, and if I notice books by the same author I'll put them by each other, but I don't go out of my way to do so. I also like to get books from the library because I usually only buy books I've read or at least books by authors that I like. The only thing that sucks about checking books out from the library is that I'm not very organized and hate keeping track of due dates...and I HATE with the fires of hades paying late fees. If I buy a book that I don't necessarily like very much, it is almost impossible for me to get rid of it. I don't think I'm a pack rat at all, except kind of with books. I think it's because I someday hope to have a ginormous library with rolling ladders and big, comfy couches to read on, and to fill such a library, I need a lot of books. :) Plus, I always wonder if someone else (like one of my kids) will find the book someday and just love it. I read in bed, on the couch, and in the tub. I prefer the couch because you can get several positions out of it, like when your arm gets tired or something. I don't read ahead, but I do have the habit of speed reading (i.e. skimming?) when I'm reading something crazy exciting. Anywho, that's about that when it comes to my readingness.

message 10: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments No, it's still cool! I was excited to read about your reading habits. In the bath, eh? I don't think I've ever successfully done that. Of course, I usually only take baths when I want to shave my legs, so I'm already a little busy.

Also weird, my library where I work doesn't do late fees. But, if you don't turn in "library materials" within 30 days of receiving your late notice, the city will send you a scary letter from the city attorney's office detailing the legal action that could be taken against them, including hundreds of dollars in fines and jail time! For some odd reason, people are not too fond of getting this letter.

message 11: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 49 comments i wonder why?! lol

message 12: by Dave (last edited Mar 16, 2009 07:38AM) (new)

Dave Geurts (davegeurts) | 33 comments Fun topic mister Gooozman. I always read right before going to sleep, if I read earlier in the day I was really lucky that day. When I get a book I always discard of the decorative sleeve, I hate those things!! I also refuse to use a bookmark, much to the dismay of my wife I love to Doggy Ear. K that sounded kind of dirty, but really I just like to fold the page down for a custom bookmark. I love to read in the tub, even tho it is a challenge to not get your hands wet. I usually put a rag or towel hanging over the side of the tub, so that if I get my hands wet then I can dry them off so I can continue to read. Really the only factor that comes into play when positioning myself is to try and get the light source behind my head. So I usually drag whatever lazy-Boy chair that I'm going to be sitting in to a part of the room so that no light source will be in the field of view. Sometimes when I read I will all of the sudden come out of a "daze" and realize I have read a few pages without even paying attention. When this happens I usually quit reading for the day and go to the task that was occupying my mind. Hmmm that's about it,...

message 13: by Dave (last edited Mar 16, 2009 07:45AM) (new)

Dave Geurts (davegeurts) | 33 comments Eric, that's funny that you always check how many pages I do that 2. I was also very very (let down)surprised that your reading habits don't involve wiener dogs standing on there hind legs like humans holding the book for you. I also can't believe how many of you like audio books... I have such a weird brain, I just can't double task like that for the life of me.... if I'm listening to an audio book at work either the book is tuned out in my sub conscience or the task at hand comes to a grinding hault. Another weird thing is if I listen to an audio book for a couple hours I get a bad headache. Which I do not understand, because if I listen to music this never happens.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferlaurens) | 2 comments My time is so FREAKING limited: for me it's write or read, and I write. I read fiction on vacation, when I'm on a beach somewhere without a laptop! It's frustrating. I used to read a lot more. Now, because time is so limited, I choose very carefully what I am going to read. If it doesn't grab me fast, I move onto the next book. Time dictates no mercy, lol.