Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Postal Service Might Cut Saturday Mail Delivery...

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28897426/...

This would suck. I love the US Mail.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Maybe they'll take a few more holidays while they're at it.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Nononononono!!!! I hate that they don't have delivery on Sundays, so cutting back on Saturday is just a very BAD idea.

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'd rather pay a little more for stamps.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I'm not a fan of this. I write letters religiously, it is my way of supporting the merry-looking people dressed in blue that get to drive around in cheerfully surreal little white vans from the sixties.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Canada has five day postal service. We got by ok when I lived there.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm trying to picture what someone would look like when she writes letters "religiously."

message 8: by Jessica (last edited Jan 28, 2009 03:37PM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) I'm not for this either, but it's probably inevitable. And as Sarah said, Canada already operates this way...I don't know, do European countries also?

The U.S. Postal Service has lost so much money, with the advent of email, faxing, etc. and raising stamp prices every 6 mos. isn't going to do it.

message 9: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments There's a similar predicament in England.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

It is just the end of an era.

Someday I'll tell my grandkids about the funny old-timey practice of hiring a person to drive around in a car and deliver little pieces of paper to aluminum boxes you open with a key. They'll say "what's paper?"

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) mailboxes are a wonderful thing. The ones in Canada (the Maritimes anyway) look so different from here...they look like a metal cabinet of mini-file drawers standing by the roadside. Odd. Especially with ocean en plein vue.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

"en plein vue"

Awesome. Can I steal that?

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori This is a bummer! And why am I so depressed about this, why do I still get so excited about getting the mail these days, when it's all junk! Could this be the reason I go on buying spurts from eBay? So I can have some good mail for a change?

message 14: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I don't mind if they stop mail delivery on Saturdays. It's all junk or bills anyway.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) They're saying it may be Tuesday that they stop.

message 16: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dreamelis) | 53 comments My thoughts on this have pretty much already been expressed by all of you, but... :(

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

By religiously I mean regularly and with great devotion. I take the letters I write very seriously, and thereby receive long, newsy, original letters back on interestingly recycled papers and materials at least once a month. Which might make you scuaffaw, but when was the last time you received a three page letter in a homemade envelope?

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I knew what you meant. I was just being a smart ass. I think hand-written letters are great.

My sister still writes them to me. It's always a pleasure.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

*smacks Larry with dead fish*

message 20: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) *doesn't duck fast enough*

message 21: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) I'm not surprised! The USPS is starting to really stink. The post office near us actually charges a business if they want to pick up their own mail! The postmaster actually said to me "Why should I have to run to the window then grab the mail, then come back for everyone who picks up?" UMMMMMM, cause thats your darn job! Geesh.

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh Sally, I wish I wrote letters still. And got those lovely letters as response.

*sigh*

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Someday I'll tell my grandkids about the funny old-timey practice of hiring a person to drive around in a car and deliver little pieces of paper to aluminum boxes you open with a key. They'll say "what's paper?"

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You'll say, "Paper is that stuff we used to use before we had Washlets."

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Sally, you posted 24 twice, no? (or am I losing my mind?)

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) (or am I losing my mind?)

I'm not sure if we can determine that.

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) if in doubt, the answer is very simple:
yes...

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

I did. There was nothing left to say but my original (oh so clever) comment.

Or maybe I'm trying to take after Mike.

message 29: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) I send my girlfriend and friends novelty postcards I find at tourist traps whenever I'm out of town. Maybe I should leave town more in the interest of bolstering the postal service.

message 30: by Sally, la reina (new)

I know you and Larry got it. I was really, really slap happy last night and was into overdefining. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.