The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Post your pulp gems

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Aug 19, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments I'm talking raggedy cover with a bizzare / incomprehensible scene on it, yellow pages, and a weird smell.

Here's one I'm reading now: HIERO DESTEEN by Sterling E. Lanier

message 2: by Ulmer Ian (last edited Aug 20, 2012 04:11AM) (new)

Ulmer Ian (eean) | 341 comments What's ridiculous about that? When you're fighting turtle men the only logical choice is to ride a moose.

message 3: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Blades of Mars

This is what i've got.

Strange how they make the spider "people" cover art...when it takes less than two chapters to resolve in the book itself. Later versions of this book have a title change to "Lord of Spiders" etc, which puzzles me for similar reasons.
I guess i missed something when i read the spider chapters.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments i notice lord of spiders has Roy Thomas listed as the secondary author instead of Edward Bradbury... seems unusual

message 5: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Re-reading the Edgar Rice Burroughs classic - Lost on Venus Lost on Venus (Venus, #2) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Because nothing says Venus more than a candy cane tiger riding a hairy pig while me and my girl friend watch from the nearest tree. :)

message 6: by Louie (last edited Aug 27, 2012 08:12AM) (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Fiction sci-fi author, Kilgore Trout's Venus on the Half-Shell. Actually written by Philip José Farmer. Cover depicts a man and woman on a half-shell... in space.
Venus on the Half-Shell by Philip José Farmer

NOTE- Trout was suppose to be the king of the pulp writers. The most prolific of sf authors, that no one knew.

message 7: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Louie wrote: "Fiction sci-fi author, Kilgore Trout's Venus on the Half-Shell. Actually written by Philip José Farmer. Cover depicts a man and woman on a half-shell... in space.
[bookcover:Venus on the Half-Shel..."

And look on the back cover for a picture of the author (Farmer in a false beard and mustache). I was disappointed when I found out it was Farmer and not Vonnegut though :(

message 8: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Yeah, I was disappointed as well that it wasn't Vonnegut. And there is another story that was described in one of his novels that I really wished was made into a full length novel. This story was disappointing overall.

message 9: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I'll always suggest The Stainless Steel Rat. The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison

The book is a classic pulp novel and a great easy read. The original cover is classic pulp, guy in "future" clothing and a spaceship with space wind blowing in the background.

message 10: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Here's another one that I have much love for The Cyborg and the Sorcerers The Cyborg and the Sorcerers by Lawrence Watt-Evans

a bunch of wizards levitating a passed out dude

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric Gardner | 113 comments Ok the cover of this one Demons of the Dancing Gods Demons of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #2) by Jack L. Chalker is not that spectacular but check out the description:
"In Husaquahr, behind the cloak of seeming peace, evil was stirring again as the Dark Baron plotted with a Demon Prince to bring about Armageddon. Master Sorcerer Throckmorton P. Ruddygore could only trust one man with the mission of spying upon the evil villians: Joe. The only problem was, Joe had just been bitten by a weredog . . ."

message 12: by Stan (new)

Stan Slaughter | 359 comments Yep - and if I remember correctly Joe was a trucker who drove a semi in an alternative world

Classic

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) My favorite was always anything by Robert E Howard.

message 14: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 192 comments The Dancer from Atlantis by Poul Anderson

semi naked woman on the front cover which doesnt seem to have much to do with what the story is about

message 15: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1158 comments Mod
I have a whole collection I'll try to bring in for the show, but here's one of my faves. Not genre but well it's its own genre.

Naked on Roller Skates Naked on Roller Skates  by Maxwell Bodenheim

message 16: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 964 comments Mod
I have seen and coveted Tom's pulp collection. We should all politely hassle him into bringing them onto the video show show if he forgets. :)

From my collection, I love me some Cordwainer Smith, but I'm not sure why this man-tiger is attacking the oxygen-tank-toting horsie:

Granted, I haven't read this one, and Smith is fond of strangeness, so it's possible that cover is amazingly accurate.

This LEM paperback is sword + laser to the max. Not only is this futuristic knight shooting a robotic dragon with a laser, the steed is apparently a robotic UNICORN hovercraft:

Love this one (both the cover and the book):

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee | 43 comments Pickle wrote: "Extro Dynamics Introspection, Neutraspection, Extrospection, Action by Douglas Dunn [bookcover:The Undercover Aliens] Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson"

What the hell is the horse doing to that dragon?!?!

I'm not sure if I should be disturbed or disgusted.

Three Hearts And Three Lions by Poul Anderson

P.S. I think I'm going to have nightmares about the man-tiger, that is wrong on so many levels. The proportions are all wrong is that supposed to be the size of a tiger or a tomcat? What's wrong with its face!

(I'm off to look at the pile of old Jack Vance pulps I've got somewhere :))

message 19: by Natalia's Daddy (last edited Sep 07, 2012 02:25PM) (new)

message 20: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments An unusually phallic rocket taking off-

message 21: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2312 comments Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny

Not sure if it's pulp per se, but I loved this cover (and all the other Zelazny covers in the same style).

message 22: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 964 comments Mod
Joseph, I remember when all Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber books were done that in style, too (I assume the same artist) - I loved that.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

message 24: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 185 comments Anything by Lovecraft or that other authors brought into the Cthulhu Mythos.

message 25: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 192 comments i managed to pick up a few today but the right covers arent listed here :(

message 26: by Carl (new)

Carl Just read Gladiator by Philip Wylie again, still good anybody a fan of E C Tubb?Gladiator

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris Ford Hi all, if you haven't already seen this website.... well let's just say the hard work has been done for you! http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/