The Summer of the Danes (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #18) The Summer of the Danes discussion

The Summer of the Danes

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (last edited Dec 15, 2007 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Someone gave me a stack of Brother Cadfael books, most of which I'd read. I'm plowing through the ones I haven't read before I take them to the public library resale store. These are great books to curl up with on a cold Kansas winter's day. This one was particularly interesting, not for the plot, which was somewhat predictable, but for the scenes between the Welsh and the Dublin Danes. Also, Ellis Peters always conjures up great landscape scenes.

message 2: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane I agree. She must have traveled there in person to give us such verbal paintings of the countryside.

Lesley Arrowsmith She lived in Shropshire, I believe, which is not that far away. And, yes, North Wales really is like that.

message 4: by Gay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gay I have read all of her books and have her TV series on DVD. They are very good.

Tess Quinn She was indeed from Shropshire, from very near the town of Shrewsbury where the abbey is real (but differently named) as is the castle and layout of it all. She was intimately acquainted with the area and loved it, living there most of her life. (There's also a wonderful "coffee table" narrative/photography book available called Strongholds and Sanctuaries with her writing and Roy Morgan's photos; it's beautiful.)

If you like her writing (I love the Cadfael series too - even though they are formulaic in plot they evoke such wonderful images and characters) she also wrote a modern detective series featuring Inspector Felse. And even better than those, she wrote absolutely fabulous historical fictions based on real people. A four-book series on Llewellyn the Last, Prince of Wales (The Brothers of Gwynnedd). The Marriage of Meggotta. The Heaven Tree Trilogy. and others. She wrote these under her real name - Edith Pargeter. They are SO worth reading.

I have never read the ones she wrote in the late thirties and early forties under other pen names (John Redfern, Jolyon Carr and Peter Benedict.) Always wondered if she wrote under those names because there might still be a stigma attached to women who wrote novels.

And if you like biographies, I recommend reading hers too. Besides her writing she had a fabulously interesting life - working as a Wren in WWII, traveling to Czechoslovakia (as it was then), becoming fluent and subsequently translating Czech prose/poetry, winning awards for it. All sorts of things; before settling to full-time historical research and writing in late fifties.

Can you tell I love this author? LOL