500 Essential Graphic Novels discussion

Keeping Track?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Jan 28, 2009 12:27PM) (new)

Michael (mkindness) Just to be clear, I don't see 500 Essential Graphic Novels as a reading challenge. I know I'll never get through them all (can't afford them all and there are so many that my local library system does not carry), but I have decided to keep track of how many I've read from the book.

I've created a shelf here on Goodreads called "500-essential-gn" and have added everything I've read. I was a little disappointed to find that I've only read 51 out of 500. Actually, it's probably 49, since Maus and Batman: Hush are here on Goodreads as 2 volumes each, but 500 Essential counts them as one selection each.

Oh well, back to reading I guess!

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 4 comments I don't see at as a challenge either, I see it as a way to read graphic novels that I might otherwise not have found out about (I also see it as a way to scope out books to pick for the young adult graphic novel section at the library where I work).

I am so glad you chose to put these up because I love picking things off the list to read.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) Thanks Rosalia... glad this is helping you with filling the section at the library.

Have you seen this site:
http://www.noflyingnotights.com/

It's written by a librarian.

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa | 4 comments I have checked out noflyingnotights.com but my favorite site is probably graphicnovelreporter.com, it appeals more to my inner nerdiness, don't know why.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments Michael, I can understand your frustration in wanting to read a graphic novel your library doesn't carry. Happens to me all the time :) However, your library should have a system where you can request them to buy the book or get you the book from another library in your state. Saves on the pocketbook and possibly gets your library to beef up their graphic novel selection.