ColonyOfReaders discussion

Book-of-the-Month Discussion > The Atrocity Archives Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) | 57 comments Mod
Have you finished reading our January book, The Atrocity Archives? If so, share your thoughts here!

message 2: by Tim (last edited Jan 28, 2009 11:08AM) (new)

Tim (hunterx280) | 50 comments At first I wasn't sure what to think of this book. It started out really slow and I was actually bored for the first 50-100 pages. I had heard a lot of good things about Stross so I figured I would stay with it. I'm glad I did. I really ended up enjoying Bob Howard (a nod to the famous Conan author I'm guessing). He's exactly like a lot of really smart IT guys I know. A smart ass, thinks he knows everything and often does. I'll have to add the other Laundry books to my "To-Read" list.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick | 2 comments You should definitely add the other Laundry books to your list. The Jennifer Morgue is quite interesting. Did anyone else read the afterword where he went on about Spy books versus thrillers? Some of what he said was really interesting.

The Atrocity Archives gave us Bob - not as a lucky man, but rather someone who seemed to make his own luck by being prepared for possibilities. I really enjoy Stross - usually his books seem to be kicks in the head for me - his creation of new concepts and words (or use of bleeding edge concepts and words) creates very interesting and robust worlds.

message 4: by Bee (new)

Bee (astranoir) | 14 comments While I really enjoyed the book, I felt like there was something missing, for me --- some sort of polish. Whether that was a more refined sentence structure or style, I'm not sure, but while the themes and story were very entertaining and interesting, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was reading a juvenile book (with regard to the writing maturity of the author).

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim (hunterx280) | 50 comments Nick wrote: "You should definitely add the other Laundry books to your list. The Jennifer Morgue is quite interesting. Did anyone else read the afterword where he went on about Spy books versus thrillers? So..."

I did read the afterward. I think it was actually part of what I loved about this book. I had never really thought of the spy or the horror genres in that manner.

astranoir wrote: "While I really enjoyed the book, I felt like there was something missing, for me --- some sort of polish. Whether that was a more refined sentence structure or style, I'm not sure, but while the t..."

I find it funny that you mention that mention that you felt like you were reading a juvenile book. I really think it's the character of Bob Howard that makes it feel that way and I think it's completely intentional. I've known a few guys (and girls) in my life like that. They are smart and complete asses but when it comes to getting things done they do. Bob really pissed me off a few times for his complete lack of professionalism and self-centered immaturity but that's what makes his character. He seems like a real guy in an unreal situation.

message 6: by Bee (new)

Bee (astranoir) | 14 comments Tim wrote: I find it funny that you mention that mention that you felt like you were reading a juvenile book. I really think it's the character of Bob Howard that makes it feel that way and I think it's completely intentional. I've known a few guys (and girls) in my life like that. They are smart and complete asses but when it comes to getting things done they do. Bob really pissed me off a few times for his complete lack of professionalism and self-centered immaturity but that's what makes his character. He seems like a real guy in an unreal situation.

That's possible. I think it might have had more to do with word choice. While his meme references and such were amusing, and I liked them, sometimes they just seemed inserted haphazardly rather than thoughtfully. Definitely an enjoyable read, though :)

message 7: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedboone) | 57 comments Mod
I never found there to be any real sense of urgency or danger throughout the story. A shame, as I've liked some of Stross' other books quite a lot.

I'm going to pick up Locke Lamora later today.