Shakespeare and Co NYC discussion

Book Group

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Permuy | 7 comments sounds swell jared... what's the first book?

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments That's a fancy idea birthday boy.

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments I think that's a really great idea. I think I may be kinda busy with school reading during this semester, but I will certainly try to stay on top of it, because I think it would be awesome. What genre do you wanna do?

message 4: by Ammon (new)

Ammon | 3 comments Yeah, I'm going to echo Jillian's comment here; Count me in and I'll try to keep up. Yeah!! Book Group!! :-P

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam | 1 comments I wanna wanna. Pewps.

message 6: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Permuy | 7 comments you wanna poooop?

message 7: by Ammon (new)

Ammon | 3 comments thanks, adam. Do you always have to shit all over everything? Jesus.

message 8: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments I'm reading White Noise right now, by Don DeLillo, and I think it's awesome. Just throwing that one out there.

message 9: by Ammon (new)

Ammon | 3 comments lets start with something short-ish, it'll give us a chance to get into the motion of things (both in the group and the semester.) Maybe Perks of Being a Wallflower, any of Coetzee's books, One flew over the Coo coo's Nest, Anthem, Siddhartha, The Third Man, Rumble Fish, Nausea, War and Peace, or any one of the other hundred thousand shortish novels out there.

Also, I think it may just be best if one or two people simply decide, otherwise we'll simply get lost in a passive democratic process. We could always have a rotation on who picks from month to month, just to be fair.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments I wouldn't mind reading white noise

message 11: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments First of all, I really enjoyed reading Ammon's long-winded argument regarding book selection, followed by Heather's very short, sweet, and to-the-point rebuttal. Well done, all around.

Short's not bad. I love "Perks of Being a Wallflower." A rotation probably isn't a bad idea either. But seriously guys, I just finished "White Noise," and all should read it. I loved it. Diane, I doubt you'll like it though, based on your review of "Lolita," lol.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:35AM) (new)

I would like to throw some true crime in there... just me? too soon? helter skelter? Watchmen? or any of my other SUPERB staff picks. as you can see, I will only be a part of this book group if I can out-wind ammon. You're welcome.

message 13: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments Cool! I'm excited! The book was really great, so I can't wait to talk to you guys about it. And for future readings, I think Sierra's suggestion of "Helter Skelter" would be fun too.

message 14: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Permuy | 7 comments yay! we picked. we picked. white noise it is.

message 15: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments OK, so Jared, I'm confused. Should I be posting stuff on the blog for discussion questions, or just be suggesting stuff once were are working towards inebriation and discussion?

message 16: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments Ok... I'll save it for discussion at the bar.

message 17: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Permuy | 7 comments okay, so my semester got ahead of me, and just now finally picked up white noise.. ill get started today!

message 18: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Permuy | 7 comments do we have any idea when we're meeting? I'm a bit behind, only page 46 but dont want to miss the festivities.

message 19: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments Jared, I feel like we should default to you to figure this one out.

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane | 2 comments I'm excited to start WHITE NOISE - I bought my copy yesterday from Buyback.

message 21: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Permuy | 7 comments i have class until ten on thursdays... :(

message 22: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments Yeah, Thursdays aren't great for me either, but that time would work for me pretty much any other day.

message 23: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Permuy | 7 comments Tuesdays and Thursdays I get out at ten... Other than that, it's on...

message 24: by Diane (new)

Diane | 2 comments What about Wednesday, when we get paid?

message 25: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jconeys) | 10 comments Either of those generally work for me.

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments I'd rather do a Friday. I'm an old lady and don't like to be out late on weekdays.