Travel Literature Makes My Heart Beat Faster.. discussion

Travel To South America -- Chile

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 10 comments My husband and I are looking to travel to Chile within the next year and would welcome any suggestions either good reads, travel tips if you've been there yourself, etc. We are especially concerned/interested in the independent vs. guided travel options as we have never traveled to South America and do not speak the language so might welcome the comfort of a tour. However, we would also like to focus on a specific area (Concepcion--my husband's birth place, though he was raised in the US) and most tours are far-reaching and also include Argentina. Any tidbits you can share would be welcome. Thank you!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It's not about Chile, but At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig by John Gimlette is a great story about Paraguay and some of the history/geography of South America.

message 3: by Linda (last edited Jan 29, 2009 09:18AM) (new)

Linda (lestarlight) | 12 comments A good read on Chile is Sara Wheeler's "Travels in a Thin Country: A Journey Through Chile". I've been there twice -- once to the far south (Patagonia) and once to the far north (Atacama Desert). It's a beautiful and extraordinarily diverse country. You will love it!